Why do you want to go to law school? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
thelawdoctor

Bronze

Re: Why do you want to go to law school?

Post by thelawdoctor » Wed May 29, 2013 9:28 pm

JDndMSW wrote:Since bachelors degrees don't mean shit. I majored in SW because it interested me (the macro stuff not micro) and I plan to go into PI. Although job prospects are bad they aren't nearly as bad as they would be now for me with my degree/experience. I have full tuition at a T30 in a cheap city so the cost of an advanced degree isn't that bad. I basically just want a job that will make me happy where I can make a decent wage.
This is actually smart and I wish more did that. Get a Bachelors you are interested in. Keep the GPA high and just enjoy it if you can. Better to have a 4.0 in Clown Science than a 2.5 in Pre-law (one has a backup job too...........)

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Wed May 29, 2013 9:35 pm

I've been writing and rewriting human rights resolutions for six years. Plus I'm on the bad end of some ridiculous legislation in the Motherland. It felt like maybe I should go to law school now.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Wed May 29, 2013 11:04 pm

danitt wrote:I've been writing and rewriting human rights resolutions for six years. Plus I'm on the bad end of some ridiculous legislation in the Motherland. It felt like maybe I should go to law school now.
Dang, most legit reason I have heard in a long time. Good for you.
What is the motherland and the legislation?
Has the resolutions been through an NGO? As a paid position or just volunteer when you can find the time?

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Thu May 30, 2013 5:24 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
danitt wrote:I've been writing and rewriting human rights resolutions for six years. Plus I'm on the bad end of some ridiculous legislation in the Motherland. It felt like maybe I should go to law school now.
Has the resolutions been through an NGO? As a paid position or just volunteer when you can find the time?
It's my job. It's through various international organisations, think UN, OAS etc. I'm from the Caribbean. We have a lot of....backward thinking legislation.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Thu May 30, 2013 10:13 pm

danitt wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:
It's my job. It's through various international organisations, think UN, OAS etc. I'm from the Caribbean. We have a lot of....backward thinking legislation.
You going for the local 2year law degree down there then? I don't think they let ABA grads practice down there. I noticed the 6month course for other nations lawyers to take but when I emailed them they told me that was for common wealth only lawyers (not americans, etc)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Thu May 30, 2013 10:47 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
danitt wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:
You going for the local 2year law degree down there then? I don't think they let ABA grads practice down there. I noticed the 6month course for other nations lawyers to take but when I emailed them they told me that was for common wealth only lawyers (not americans, etc)
If I chose to return to my country I will do a six month administrative course and that's all I would need. But I probably won't go back.

porch

Bronze

Post by porch » Fri May 31, 2013 12:38 am

Chicks, power, money and chicks.

Nothing but the Funk

Bronze

Post by Nothing but the Funk » Fri May 31, 2013 10:58 am

I'm going to law school to have a shot a well paying job that will open up doors for me so I can make connections that will help me get to my goal of being a judge.

seagan823

Bronze

Post by seagan823 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:16 am

I want to go to law school so I can work in legal services or as a public defender. I have never wanted to be anything other than an advocate for those with limited means to advocate for themselves.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

illiniguy1551

Bronze

Post by illiniguy1551 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:44 am

I'm going because I ultimately want to work on my own and not be dependent on an employer. I also love beating the system and fighting "the man," a law degree will give me opportunity to do this all the time. Obviously I will be taking on little to no debt to make this possible!

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Fri May 31, 2013 2:42 pm

illiniguy1551 wrote:I'm going because I ultimately want to work on my own and not be dependent on an employer. I also love beating the system and fighting "the man," a law degree will give me opportunity to do this all the time. Obviously I will be taking on little to no debt to make this possible!
So you plan to be the "hang your own shingle" solo gig without working for a firm first huh?

illiniguy1551

Bronze

Post by illiniguy1551 » Fri May 31, 2013 3:40 pm

edit
Last edited by illiniguy1551 on Fri May 31, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

illiniguy1551

Bronze

Post by illiniguy1551 » Fri May 31, 2013 3:41 pm

No. Sorry I didn't include every minute detail of my plans. Which is why I said "ultimately."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

porch

Bronze

Post by porch » Fri May 31, 2013 5:29 pm

Last edited by porch on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:14 am

seagan823 wrote:I want to go to law school so I can work in legal services or as a public defender. I have never wanted to be anything other than an advocate for those with limited means to advocate for themselves.
That's very respectable, seagan. I wish more people had that mindset.

I want to go to law school so that I can work big law, then eventually get into politics. I also have a family (2-9 month identical twin boys, and another boy due in September) to support.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:11 pm

Nothing but the Funk wrote:I'm going to law school to have a shot a well paying job that will open up doors for me so I can make connections that will help me get to my goal of being a judge.
what kind of judge are you thinking? When I did my internships in Administrative Law, I noticed that many ALJ seem to just show up and get the job for being the only person in line. Not as respected as other courts, and tend to pay less, but it lets you call yourself "judge".

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:14 pm

illiniguy1551 wrote:No. Sorry I didn't include every minute detail of my plans. Which is why I said "ultimately."
ok OL, I see you ranted and then erased (whatever I guess to that), but it is just a line that any 3L or above will tell you they hear from those who don't know any better yet so much that it becomes a worn out record.

Do what you want, good luck to you, but you'll pick up the rest of the story along the way. You won't get it now no matter who tells you anything, but you will when it's over. I was you, as were most others at some point.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:18 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:
seagan823 wrote:I want to go to law school so I can work in legal services or as a public defender. I have never wanted to be anything other than an advocate for those with limited means to advocate for themselves.

I want to go to law school so that I can work big law, then eventually get into politics. I also have a family (2-9 month identical twin boys, and another boy due in September) to support.
You have my respect, is it ok to ask gender, age and if married or live with parents? I ask since if you are a single parent, there is almost a zero percent chance of it, but if you have a support system for the kids and have someone else to financially pay the bills you should be ok. (The ABA won't let you work more than 15 hours a week in lawschool if fulltime, and even then kids are a fulltime job on top of that)

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:15 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
Clyde Frog wrote:

You have my respect, is it ok to ask gender, age and if married or live with parents? I ask since if you are a single parent, there is almost a zero percent chance of it, but if you have a support system for the kids and have someone else to financially pay the bills you should be ok. (The ABA won't let you work more than 15 hours a week in lawschool if fulltime, and even then kids are a fulltime job on top of that)
Last edited by Clyde Frog on Sat May 20, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:07 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:
Clyde Frog wrote:

Male, 25, married, own my own house. I have around 50k saved for housing/expenses during law school. I've been supporting myself since 18, as my parents have less than modest income. It was beneficial to me and especially my brother, who is high up in Apple, and was basically self-made by age 16. My wife does a great job helping out and I won't have to work during law school, since I've already planned ahead for it.
That will help a lot, but I would still say go part time. Otherwise you won't be separated and a weekend dad when your done, or you will be in the bottom 10% of your class. You can't be fully loyal to both, I've people try and fail. If you can get into a part time program, you would be able to do both though.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:32 am

I'm not really planning on part-time, since Georgetown is the only one with a part-time program worth going to. My wife already knows the deal with law school, so it's not a huge issue.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:56 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:I'm not really planning on part-time, since Georgetown is the only one with a part-time program worth going to. My wife already knows the deal with law school, so it's not a huge issue.
ok, I just never knew someone who ended up with issues who started out not thinking they could avoid them is all I am saying.

You sound like you know what your up against, so at least you'll be prepared. That is the majority of it right there. Wishing the best on all fronts brother.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:59 pm

Thanks. May i ask what your friends' situation was, for example was he financially stable, children's ages ect. I am also used to balancing many things since i was a d1 college athlete, had a job and maintained close to a 4.0.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:03 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:Thanks. May i ask what your friends' situation was, for example was he financially stable, children's ages ect. I am also used to balancing many things since i was a d1 college athlete, had a job and maintained close to a 4.0.
I knew plenty of people in plenty of situations. I don't think athletics will make any impact since more schools keep the lawstudents out of the sports teams (from what I have seen) but I knew gyms who hit the gym a lot. Some found comfort in food and got fat while others teamed up at the gym and exploded their guns. If you had to pick one, I'd pick the gym.

I wouldn't recommend joining any local city leagues for sports though. It would be fun, but practice and all would eat too much time. Busting out an hour a day to vent frustration is one thing, but to fully dedicate to a team would take a lot more than that (as I am sure you know from past experience)

It's good that you were able to find balance in undergrad, and that ability to structure yourself will help, but be prepared for it not to be the same. Most 1L classes have the entire grade on one exam (a lot more stress than a bunch of little papers added up) and yet they still require you to do reading for socratic method. Trust me, it's a whole different scenario. I have seen plenty of second term law students a few weeks into the term (takes forever to get grades back) expect a 4.0 like they did in undergrad and then freak out and blame everyone but themselves when they find out that they fell short of that due not to a lack of ability, but due to a lack of understand the differences between here are there.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:46 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
Clyde Frog wrote:Thanks. May i ask what your friends' situation was, for example was he financially stable, children's ages ect. I am also used to balancing many things since i was a d1 college athlete, had a job and maintained close to a 4.0.
I knew plenty of people in plenty of situations. I don't think athletics will make any impact since more schools keep the lawstudents out of the sports teams (from what I have seen) but I knew gyms who hit the gym a lot. Some found comfort in food and got fat while others teamed up at the gym and exploded their guns. If you had to pick one, I'd pick the gym.

I wouldn't recommend joining any local city leagues for sports though. It would be fun, but practice and all would eat too much time. Busting out an hour a day to vent frustration is one thing, but to fully dedicate to a team would take a lot more than that (as I am sure you know from past experience)

It's good that you were able to find balance in undergrad, and that ability to structure yourself will help, but be prepared for it not to be the same. Most 1L classes have the entire grade on one exam (a lot more stress than a bunch of little papers added up) and yet they still require you to do reading for socratic method. Trust me, it's a whole different scenario. I have seen plenty of second term law students a few weeks into the term (takes forever to get grades back) expect a 4.0 like they did in undergrad and then freak out and blame everyone but themselves when they find out that they fell short of that due not to a lack of ability, but due to a lack of understand the differences between here are there.

I didn't mean I wanted to pursue athletics in law school, I meant it as an example of being able to balance things (such as the same way in which I could balance being a parent and law school.) Thanks for the great advice on the law school semester structure though, as I was unaware of that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”