Wife's schooling and delaying law school

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
CFprez
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:28 am

Wife's schooling and delaying law school

Postby CFprez » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:32 pm

When I first started thinking about law school I was single, but this past July I got happily married. At first this was the plan- that my SO would finish her undergrad schooling at whatever college/university closest to the law school that I got into. However, the more we have looked at it realistically that plan is a logistical nightmare- different schools have different residency requirements, the amount of credits you need to take to graduate there varies, admission requirements are different and so on.

So we came up with two different plans, but are having a hard time weighing them. My wife is younger than I am and has 60 credits after this semester. I am still in undergrad too, and this last semester I basically finished every single requirement for my major and I have 15 credits or so for whatever classes I want to take or an internship. I am taking the LSAT this June and my first test was a 165 after I read through the intros in the lsac superprep book and the first two chapter of the logic games bible.

Plan A "quick school"

My wife could take 15 credits in the summer, fall, spring, and summer and finish right before I would start in the fall.

Plan B "slow school"
My wife could take credits before the fall of 2015 and graduate from our undergrad school sometime. The advantage of this plan is that we have a strong desire to study abroad in a place like Thailand or Mongolia, or the Indonesia and live/work there for a while. I also have a hope that speaking an important but rarely spoken language would help me stand out as a biglaw hopeful..

Thanks.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Wife's schooling and delaying law school

Postby spleenworship » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:05 pm

Wait, what are the two plans?

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3398
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Wife's schooling and delaying law school

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:09 pm

spleenworship wrote:Wait, what are the two plans?

+1

CFprez wrote:I also have a hope that speaking an important but rarely spoken language would help me stand out as a biglaw hopeful..

No.

I would say just let her finish undergrad, take a year off to both travel and study for the LSAT. When you guys are ready to settle, ace your LSAT, get a big scholly, and then go to law school.

User avatar
CFprez
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:28 am

Re: Wife's schooling and delaying law school

Postby CFprez » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:13 pm

spleenworship wrote:Wait, what are the two plans?


So basically start school 2014 is plan A.

starting school 2015 is plan b with living overseas.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Wife's schooling and delaying law school

Postby spleenworship » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:19 pm

CFprez wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Wait, what are the two plans?


So basically start school 2014 is plan A.

starting school 2015 is plan b with living overseas.



Let her finish school while you get some work/life experience and then apply to law school.

Hell ain't going nowhere, son. It'll be waiting for you when you're ready.

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Wife's schooling and delaying law school

Postby LRGhost » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:07 am

Do plan B and if you can, take some more classes to bump your GPA.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Wife's schooling and delaying law school

Postby spleenworship » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:58 pm

LRGhost wrote:Do plan B and if you can, take some more classes to bump your GPA.


This is also a good idea.

User avatar
J-e-L-L-o
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Wife's schooling and delaying law school

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:47 pm

spleenworship wrote:
LRGhost wrote:Do plan B and if you can, take some more classes to bump your GPA.


This is also a good idea.


+1

User avatar
CFprez
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:28 am

Re: Wife's schooling and delaying law school

Postby CFprez » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:14 pm

spleenworship wrote:
CFprez wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Wait, what are the two plans?


So basically start school 2014 is plan A.

starting school 2015 is plan b with living overseas.



Let her finish school while you get some work/life experience and then apply to law school.

Hell ain't going nowhere, son. It'll be waiting for you when you're ready.


+1 to law school not going anywhere.

I personally am leaning towards delaying, but still it is a tough choice. My question though is how valuable is it to take CC courses to bump your GPA? My 1st years at college were rough so my LSAC GPA is only a 3.0 right now, although my university is a 3.3. Last 3 semesters have been 4.0's (I expect another one this term). After that, if my remaining about 20 credits are all A's too, then my LSAC gpa will be 3.19.

Soo... how valuable is it to bump my GPA from a 3.2 to something like a 3.4? That's like 40 extra credits, which is a lot even with a CC. I could do it, I am just wondering if its worth it.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Wife's schooling and delaying law school

Postby spleenworship » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:36 pm

CFprez wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
CFprez wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Wait, what are the two plans?


So basically start school 2014 is plan A.

starting school 2015 is plan b with living overseas.



Let her finish school while you get some work/life experience and then apply to law school.

Hell ain't going nowhere, son. It'll be waiting for you when you're ready.


+1 to law school not going anywhere.

I personally am leaning towards delaying, but still it is a tough choice. My question though is how valuable is it to take CC courses to bump your GPA? My 1st years at college were rough so my LSAC GPA is only a 3.0 right now, although my university is a 3.3. Last 3 semesters have been 4.0's (I expect another one this term). After that, if my remaining about 20 credits are all A's too, then my LSAC gpa will be 3.19.

Soo... how valuable is it to bump my GPA from a 3.2 to something like a 3.4? That's like 40 extra credits, which is a lot even with a CC. I could do it, I am just wondering if its worth it.


Any extra credits you can take with a high GPS is worth it. But you don't need 40. This is just an option to raise your GPA some.

Just make sure you take it before degree is conferred or it won't be counted.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest