What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
scifiguy
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:41 pm

What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

Postby scifiguy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:19 am

I've seen Paper Chase, Erin Brockovich, Puncture, and A Civil Action so far. All were very good.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

Postby Bronck » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:21 am

You're on a roll. WTF is with all these terrible threads?

User avatar
Teflon_Don
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Re: What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

Postby Teflon_Don » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:38 am

scifiguy wrote:I've seen Paper Chase, Erin Brockovich, Puncture, and A Civil Action so far. All were very good.


Debbie Does Dallas is also good

Void
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Re: What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

Postby Void » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:48 am

Bronck wrote:You're on a roll. WTF is with all these terrible threads?


Wow- seriously. I keep stumbling upon them and then realizing that the same fucking 0L Garfield guy has been making every single one.

cooldude87
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:51 pm

Re: What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

Postby cooldude87 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:51 am

don't go to law school dude

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:54 am

Void wrote:
Bronck wrote:You're on a roll. WTF is with all these terrible threads?


Wow- seriously. I keep stumbling upon them and then realizing that the same fucking 0L Garfield guy has been making every single one.

This is the third cycle I've sat through and I swear to god this year's 0Ls are the most neurotic and strangely obsessed with irrelevancies and minutiae yet.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread about whether you'll get rejected if the watermark in your resume paper is oriented upside-down, except that 0Ls don't have printed resumes yet.

User avatar
Aawaldrop
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:28 am

Re: What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

Postby Aawaldrop » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:56 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Void wrote:
Bronck wrote:You're on a roll. WTF is with all these terrible threads?


Wow- seriously. I keep stumbling upon them and then realizing that the same fucking 0L Garfield guy has been making every single one.

This is the third cycle I've sat through and I swear to god this year's 0Ls are the most neurotic and strangely obsessed with irrelevancies and minutiae yet.


Trying to find anything to justify going to law school despite a real low in opinion on the prospects

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:59 am

Aawaldrop wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Void wrote:
Bronck wrote:You're on a roll. WTF is with all these terrible threads?


Wow- seriously. I keep stumbling upon them and then realizing that the same fucking 0L Garfield guy has been making every single one.

This is the third cycle I've sat through and I swear to god this year's 0Ls are the most neurotic and strangely obsessed with irrelevancies and minutiae yet.


Trying to find anything to justify going to law school despite a real low in opinion on the prospects

Right, because last year's cycle was so much better. Except there were more applicants and it was one fewer year year along in the "recovery."

I understand obsessing over hard decisions and employment data. It's weird shit this year.

User avatar
Aawaldrop
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:28 am

Re: What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

Postby Aawaldrop » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:01 am

The only thing I can think of is that the gravity of the situation is setting in with the continued bad market, rising costs, etc.

Also possible that there are just more crazies this year by chance.

Void
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Re: What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

Postby Void » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:05 am

Ok I will try to be civil and address the actual thread question:

1) you could use the search function. I have seen lots of threads on this topic in the last couple of years.

2) speaking as a (possibly jaded) law student, I can't really enjoy these kinds of movies anymore because hollywood always manages to get the law and procedure so glaringly wrong. I guess it makes sense that they have to make it more exciting, but once you have completed 1L and your first summer in the real world you find that these movies barely even bother to try. And all the drama is lost on you because you've learned to see a case beyond the good guy/bad guy archetype. It's kind of sad, actually.

3) legally blonde is good because it sort of makes fun of 1Ls without even knowing that it's doing it. ("Mens rea!")

User avatar
Aawaldrop
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:28 am

Re: What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

Postby Aawaldrop » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:12 am

Valedictorian at Cooley suggests My Cousin Vinny
Not kidding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdhaEUA1H9Y

User avatar
EvilClinton
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

Postby EvilClinton » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:14 am

scifiguy wrote:I've seen Paper Chase, Erin Brockovich, Puncture, and A Civil Action so far. All were very good.

Michael Clayton

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:17 am

Devil's Advocate.

User avatar
Davidbentley
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:49 am

Re: What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

Postby Davidbentley » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:28 am

Saving Private Ryan.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

Postby cinephile » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:35 am

I'm going to plug The Good Wife, even though it's not a movie. The woman makes partner and she finds it far less satisfying than she expected. That seems more realistic than any other legal show I've ever seen.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

Postby guano » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:56 am

the verdict
The first 15 minutes or so is what you, in particular, can expect life as a lawyer to be like

User avatar
DCDuck
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:27 pm

Re: What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

Postby DCDuck » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:58 am

The Firm.

User avatar
scifiguy
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

Postby scifiguy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:06 am

guano wrote:the verdict
The first 15 minutes or so is what you, in particular, can expect life as a lawyer to be like


What happens there?

User avatar
J-e-L-L-o
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:43 am

scifiguy wrote:
guano wrote:the verdict
The first 15 minutes or so is what you, in particular, can expect life as a lawyer to be like


What happens there?


lol

User avatar
J-e-L-L-o
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:44 am

Ghostbusters has a courtroom

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:45 am

Have you seen the dungeon scene in pulp fiction?

M458
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

Postby M458 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:26 pm

Gotta throw in The Pelican Brief. Especially if you're planning on going to Tulane.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

Postby Crowing » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:19 pm

M458 wrote:Gotta throw in The Pelican Brief. Especially if you're planning on going to Tulane.


Attending Tulane leads to an unhealthy obsession with Penn on TLS.

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2619
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:22 pm

I think The Devil's Advocate is about as realistic as any.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2380
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: What Are Best Movies Depicting Lawyer Life & Work?

Postby lhanvt13 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:22 pm

The hunger games?




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests