Biglaw or what? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
whereskyle

Silver

Re: Biglaw or what?

Post by whereskyle » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:47 pm

bchirco wrote:
whereskyle wrote:
bk187 wrote:
whereskyle wrote:Hahaha, the only good reason I have for wanting to go to law school is my desire to advocate for the constitutional principles that make this country an acceptable place to live.
Not actually a good reason.
If that isn't a good reason, then there are no good reasons to go to law school.
sweet conditional.

In all seriousness man, you need to do research. Start with this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tucker-ma ... 13943.html

tucker max is research?

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:48 pm

I guess I'll just apply to yale for the next few years.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:49 pm

you could help poor people get away w/ shit.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:50 pm

dr123 wrote:you could help poor people get away w/ shit.
haha. i like that. But, no, really, i had this idea... i think... ummm.... yes, justice.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:50 pm

and procedure and shit like that

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:51 pm

Alternatively, you could put poor people in jail/prison.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:52 pm

i'd just be an officer of the court, yo

bchirco

New

Post by bchirco » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:00 pm

tucker max is research?
Clearly you know all about why someone should go to LS. Conventional wisdom of TLS has failed you. Big law or wat?

Enjoy bro.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:15 pm

bchirco wrote:
tucker max is research?
Clearly you know all about why someone should go to LS. Conventional wisdom of TLS has failed you. Big law or wat?

Enjoy bro.
Maybe it's ironic that, in deciding to apply to ls, i said to myself "...cuz that's why someone should go to law school, as opposed to [whatever your reason for pursuing law is]."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bchirco

New

Post by bchirco » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:29 pm

whereskyle wrote:
bchirco wrote:
tucker max is research?

Enjoy bro.
Maybe it's ironic that, in deciding to apply to ls, i said to myself "...cuz that's why someone should go to law school, as opposed to [whatever your reason for pursuing law is]."
To quote Rad...

wat.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:31 pm

whereskyle wrote:Maybe it's ironic that, in deciding to apply to ls, i said to myself "...cuz that's why someone should go to law school, as opposed to [whatever your reason for pursuing law is]."
That's so cute, that you know exactly why everyone should go to law school.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:43 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
whereskyle wrote:Maybe it's ironic that, in deciding to apply to ls, i said to myself "...cuz that's why someone should go to law school, as opposed to [whatever your reason for pursuing law is]."
Obviously, I dont, but, if looking to advocate for the principles represented in the constitution is not a good reason, what is?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:46 pm

whereskyle wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Obviously, I dont, but, if looking to advocate for the principles represented in the constitution is not a good reason, what is?
It's a good reason in that it's an admirable goal, but it's not a good reason actually to go to law school, since most lawyers don't do anything remotely like that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:08 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
whereskyle wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
It's a good reason in that it's an admirable goal, but it's not a good reason actually to go to law school, since most lawyers don't do anything remotely like that.
Why be a lawyer if not for that?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:11 pm

whereskyle wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
whereskyle wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote: That's so cute, that you know exactly why everyone should go to law school.
Why be a lawyer if not for that?
See, now you're thinking you know why everyone should go to law school again.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:24 pm

So few lawyers actually do constitutional litigation and it's not something you can really just waltz into. A good deal of con litigation is actually done pro bono by big firms, such as recent DOMA lit.
Going to law school to be a constitutional lawyer is highly impractical and unlikely. It's practically like going to be an international human rights lawyer.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:37 pm

whereskyle wrote:So, I want to be a lawyer, because I want to pick apart arguments for a living. When I imagine my ideal job, it is NOT helping rich people get away with shit. Am I wrong to assume that this is a huge portion of the workload in biglaw? Also, if I want to be a hotshot lawyer working for the gov't or pi, am I going to have to go through biglaw anyway? I say this, because I am justifying to myself forgoing attendance at a T10 at sticker this year, because I don't want biglaw. Is biglaw in the cards for all of us anyway?
Youre wrong to assume that you wont have to help people get away with shit in gov't or even pi.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:48 pm

AlanShore wrote:
whereskyle wrote:So, I want to be a lawyer, because I want to pick apart arguments for a living. When I imagine my ideal job, it is NOT helping rich people get away with shit. Am I wrong to assume that this is a huge portion of the workload in biglaw? Also, if I want to be a hotshot lawyer working for the gov't or pi, am I going to have to go through biglaw anyway? I say this, because I am justifying to myself forgoing attendance at a T10 at sticker this year, because I don't want biglaw. Is biglaw in the cards for all of us anyway?
Youre wrong to assume that you wont have to help people get away with shit in gov't or even pi.
That's a good point.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:51 pm

whereskyle wrote: Why be a lawyer if not for that?
You're really one of the most puzzling newer posters on here over the last few months. Everything that you've said in this thread smacks of not only not knowing much about the legal profession, but also not knowing much about the way the world works. I hope you get it figured out on your own, because you certainly seem to be unwilling to consider what anyone else has to say about it.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:06 pm

I really enjoy reading judicial opinions. I think it's an academic interest. Practice is a different animal.

grapefruits

Bronze

Post by grapefruits » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:23 pm

whereskyle wrote:I really enjoy reading judicial opinions. I think it's an academic interest. Practice is a different animal.

I'm pretty sure that this is actually a 12 year old boy who loves watching Law and Order for the court scenes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Davidbentley

Bronze

Post by Davidbentley » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:26 pm

grapefruits wrote:
whereskyle wrote:I really enjoy reading judicial opinions. I think it's an academic interest. Practice is a different animal.

I'm pretty sure that this is actually a 12 year old boy who loves watching Law and Order for the court scenes.
Probably.

When I was twelve, I watched Law & Order for Angie Harmon.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:27 pm

grapefruits wrote:

These posters turn up now and again. They have the world figured out, they don't realize it's a phase, they put their fingers in their ears and hum when anyway tries to be anything but an echo-chamber, and they say sage things like "I think it's an academic interest. Practice is a different animal." They tend to be more enamored of their own intellects than reality would dictate is prudent, and all you can do is hope for the best for them.

bchirco

New

Post by bchirco » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:30 pm

He is pretty much an effective troll.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:55 am

wait, so why be a lawyer? Self interest? High paying job? Sounds like everything that is wrong with the legal field and the reason why schools are crowded and so damn expensive.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”