Biglaw or what?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
whereskyle

Biglaw or what?

Postby whereskyle » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:07 pm

So, I want to be a lawyer, because I want to pick apart arguments for a living. When I imagine my ideal job, it is NOT helping rich people get away with shit. Am I wrong to assume that this is a huge portion of the workload in biglaw? Also, if I want to be a hotshot lawyer working for the gov't or pi, am I going to have to go through biglaw anyway? I say this, because I am justifying to myself forgoing attendance at a T10 at sticker this year, because I don't want biglaw. Is biglaw in the cards for all of us anyway?
Last edited by whereskyle on Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reverendt

Re: Biglaw or what?

Postby reverendt » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:11 pm

What exactly is your question????

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:12 pm

whereskyle wrote:So, I want to be a lawyer, because I want to pick apart arguments for a living. When I imagine my ideal job, it is NOT helping rich people get away with shit. Am I wrong to assume that this is a huge portion of the workload in biglaw? Also, if I want to be a hotshot lawyer working for the gov't or pi, am I going to have to go through biglaw anyway? I say this, because I am justifying to myself forgoing attendance at a T10 at sticker this year, because I don't want biglaw. Is biglaw in the cards for all of us anyway?

wat

Ave

Postby Ave » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:14 pm

rad lulz wrote:wat

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:15 pm

whereskyle wrote:So, I want to be a lawyer, because I want to pick apart arguments for a living. When I imagine my ideal job, it is NOT helping rich people get away with shit. Am I wrong to assume that this is a huge portion of the workload in biglaw? Also, if I want to be a hotshot lawyer working for the gov't or pi, am I going to have to go through biglaw anyway? I say this, because I am justifying to myself forgoing attendance at a T10 at sticker this year, because I don't want biglaw. Is biglaw in the cards for all of us anyway?

not what lawyers really do on a day to day basis.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:16 pm

homestyle28 wrote:

not what lawyers really do on a day to day basis.

No, but when we get to do it it's alot of fun!

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:16 pm

:P OP, what are you smoking on? Pass that shit to the left.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:16 pm

1. Am I wrong to assume that helping rich people get away with shit is a huge portion of the workload in biglaw?

2. if I want to be a hotshot lawyer working for the gov't or pi, am I going to have to go through biglaw anyway?

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:23 pm

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:24 pm

Oh, come on, I have real questions now.

1. Am I wrong to assume that helping rich people get away with shit is a huge portion of the workload in biglaw?

2. if I want to be a hotshot lawyer working for the gov't or pi, am I going to have to go through biglaw anyway?

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:27 pm

whereskyle wrote:Oh, come on, I have real questions now.

1. You aren't wrong.
2. No. Not necessarily. But I doubt it would hurt.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:29 pm

BerkeleyBear wrote:

1. You aren't wrong.
2. No. Not necessarily. But I doubt it would hurt.

I like berkeleybear better than all you all.

North

Postby North » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:37 pm

whereskyle wrote:Is biglaw in the cards for all of us anyway?

If only, bro.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:40 pm

If it makes you feel any better, by the time a company ponies up for a biglaw firm (in the litigation context) they're getting away with shit done to other rich people, not the peasants.

And if you're a hot shot gov't lawyer you've sold your soul as much as a partner at biglaw, that's why all the hot shot gov't lawyers either were partners or go on to be partners at law firms.

If what you really want is to argue and do good in the world just become a HS teacher.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:41 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
If what you really want is to argue and do good in the world just become a HS teacher.

star fox

Postby star fox » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:44 pm

homestyle28 wrote:If what you really want is to argue and do good in the world just become a HS teacher.

Not sure about this statement.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:45 pm

whereskyle wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

In my ignorance, I would say that PI law fits that criteria as much as a HS teacher.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:47 pm

whereskyle wrote:
whereskyle wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

In my ignorance, I would say that PI law fits that criteria as much as a HS teacher.

dude, take a year and do some PI work, see what those lawyers do and how they do it. Impact litigation is a thing, but not much of a career track

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:02 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
whereskyle wrote:
whereskyle wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

dude, take a year and do some PI work, see what those lawyers do and how they do it. Impact litigation is a thing, but not much of a career track

Work at a non-pi firm. I've done pro bono cases, and I liked it a lot. Obviously, there's no money.

I'm concerned about the logic of attempting to pursue law while consciously attempting to avoid biglaw.

bchirco

Postby bchirco » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:22 pm

Something about this thread makes me feel like Law and Order was used as a reference.

You don't just pick apart arguments for a living as a lawyer. If you are infatuated with the romantic part of law you are going to be severely disappointed. Being a "hotshot" lawyer is no longer a viable term for the graduating classes. Now just being a lawyer AT ALL is considered prestigious because most law grads won't be lucky enough to call themselves that.

For biglaw, yes, you will help rich people get away with stuff. But to be fair it's more than likely going to be against OTHER rich people. If you like to argue, that is not a good reason to go into law. If you want to do good for people, that is not a good reason to go into law. You need to be ready to accept if you go to law school you will be LUCKY if you get to practice law in ANY capacity, let alone the prospects you were actually interested in.

Sorry to be a jerk, but in reality from post I just don't feel like you have done enough research on this.

retake.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:11 pm

bchirco wrote:Something about this thread makes me feel like Law and Order was used as a reference.

If you like to argue, that is not a good reason to go into law. If you want to do good for people, that is not a good reason to go into law.

Sorry to be a jerk, but in reality from post I just don't feel like you have done enough research on this.

retake.

Hahaha, the only good reason I have for wanting to go to law school is my desire to advocate for the constitutional principles that make this country an acceptable place to live.

Isn't that a laugh?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:13 pm

whereskyle wrote:Hahaha, the only good reason I have for wanting to go to law school is my desire to advocate for the constitutional principles that make this country an acceptable place to live.

Not actually a good reason.

bchirco

Postby bchirco » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:17 pm

whereskyle wrote:
bchirco wrote:Something about this thread makes me feel like Law and Order was used as a reference.

If you like to argue, that is not a good reason to go into law. If you want to do good for people, that is not a good reason to go into law.

retake.

Hahaha, the only good reason I have for wanting to go to law school is my desire to advocate for the constitutional principles that make this country an acceptable place to live.

Isn't that a laugh?

Yeah, it is. Get a PhD in Political Science then. If you want to hold that boyscout idea of law, go crazy. It will only screw your chances against the sharks. Yale or bust bro, gl.

Also, "acceptable place to live?"

wat.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:38 pm

bk1 wrote:
whereskyle wrote:Hahaha, the only good reason I have for wanting to go to law school is my desire to advocate for the constitutional principles that make this country an acceptable place to live.

If that isn't a good reason, then there are no good reasons to go to law school.

bchirco

Postby bchirco » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:45 pm

whereskyle wrote:
bk1 wrote:

If that isn't a good reason, then there are no good reasons to go to law school.

sweet conditional.

In all seriousness man, you need to do research. Start with this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tucker-ma ... 13943.html

Return to “Law School FAQ”