Rankings

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
nikkiblast
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:39 pm

Rankings

Postby nikkiblast » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:38 am

Hi everyone,
I have a question regarding US school rankings.
When choosing which school to go to, should we factor in the US school law rankings as well the college ranking?

Ie.
Univ of Miami law is ranked 76 but the school is ranked 44
Florida State Univ law is ranked 48 but the school is ranked 97


Would Florida State be the better choice since the law rankings is better?

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Rankings

Postby Nova » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:42 am

Do not factor in any kind of rankings

USNWR is garbage

Use this: http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/

nikkiblast
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:39 pm

Re: Rankings

Postby nikkiblast » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:46 am

Nova wrote:Do not factor in any kind of rankings

USNWR is garbage

Use this: http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/


Thanks for your advice. I have been using the rankings along with the law school transparency site.
So the rank of the US college itself shouldn't matter? Just its law rankings should?

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Rankings

Postby Nova » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:50 am

nikkiblast wrote:So the rank of the US college itself shouldn't matter? Just its law rankings should?

Neither matter.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Rankings

Postby North » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:09 pm

Nova wrote:Neither matter.

This is correct.

OP:

Where do you want to work?

How will you be financing your degree?

What kind of job do you want that you need a law degree to be able to do?

User avatar
Aawaldrop
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:28 am

Re: Rankings

Postby Aawaldrop » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:10 pm

Things to use in deciding on a law school:
Financing
Employment Post-grad (and summer)
Location

Things not to use in deciding on a lawl school:
Rankings
Quality of the Undergraduate School
Library space per capita

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Rankings

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:16 pm

Nova wrote:Do not factor in any kind of rankings

USNWR is garbage

Use this: http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/

nikkiblast
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:39 pm

Re: Rankings

Postby nikkiblast » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:20 pm

I want to live in either California or Florida. I've been accepted to San Diego and Miami now.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Rankings

Postby North » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:21 pm

nikkiblast wrote:I want to live in either California or Florida. I've been accepted to San Diego and Miami now.

Okay, one down. Next up:

North wrote:How will you be financing your degree?

What kind of job do you want that you need a law degree to be able to do?

nikkiblast
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:39 pm

Re: Rankings

Postby nikkiblast » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:23 pm

North wrote:
nikkiblast wrote:I want to live in either California or Florida. I've been accepted to San Diego and Miami now.

Okay, one down. Next up:

North wrote:How will you be financing your degree?

What kind of job do you want that you need a law degree to be able to do?


1. By getting loans and help from my parents
2. I want to become a business lawyer

exitoptions
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:58 am

Re: Rankings

Postby exitoptions » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:27 pm

nikkiblast wrote:1. By getting loans and help from my parents
2. I want to become a business lawyer


You really need to do some more research into the profession. Every private practitioner is a "business lawyer."

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Rankings

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:31 pm

nikkiblast wrote:1. By getting loans and help from my parents
2. I want to become a business lawyer


1) How much are you taking out in loans for each. Include 3 years worth of interest
2) "Business lawyer" is a meaningless phrase. What do you actually want to do

User avatar
North
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Rankings

Postby North » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:38 pm

nikkiblast wrote:
North wrote:
nikkiblast wrote:I want to live in either California or Florida. I've been accepted to San Diego and Miami now.

Okay, one down. Next up:

North wrote:How will you be financing your degree?

What kind of job do you want that you need a law degree to be able to do?


1. By getting loans and help from my parents
2. I want to become a business lawyer

We'll start with San Diego.

A law degree from San Diego costs $244,149.00. On the whole, only 45% of graduates from this school are able to get jobs as lawyers. Law firms that do what you likely imagine is "business law" are large firms that employ over 100 attorneys. San Diego only places 6.9% of it's graduates into these firms. The other 38% of the 45% of graduates that get jobs as lawyers are very, very unlikely (read: they don't) to make enough money to make payments on their $244,149.00 loan (plus compounding interest).

By attending this school, you'd be taking on a life-ruining amount of debt for a law degree that offers you less than a coin-flip's chance at becoming an attorney, and less than a 7% chance at actually being able to pay back the quarter-million dollars you owe.

Now tell me: do you think it's worth a quarter million dollars (plus compounding interest) of (1) money your parents worked hard for and (2) money you don't currently have and are unlikely to have in the future (see above) for a law degree that offers you those kinds of outcomes?

If you want to work in business, go back to your UG and get a B.S. in accounting.

snapdragon25
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:43 pm

Re: Rankings

Postby snapdragon25 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:17 pm

I don't think this person can be reasoned with:


nikkiblast wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
nikkiblast wrote:Thanks for your suggestions!
Maybe I should have said it earlier, but I'm not going to be retaking the LSAT.

Why won't you be retaking the LSAT?


I've already taken it twice and I want to go to law school this upcoming September.

nikkiblast
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:39 pm

Re: Rankings

Postby nikkiblast » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:36 pm

snapdragon25 wrote:I don't think this person can be reasoned with:


nikkiblast wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
nikkiblast wrote:Thanks for your suggestions!
Maybe I should have said it earlier, but I'm not going to be retaking the LSAT.

Why won't you be retaking the LSAT?


I've already taken it twice and I want to go to law school this upcoming September.


Are you a dick in real life too or just online?
If you have nothing to say that's contributing to my question, it's best not to post.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Rankings

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:38 pm

rad lulz wrote:1) How much are you taking out in loans for each. Include 3 years worth of interest
2) "Business lawyer" is a meaningless phrase. What do you actually want to do

User avatar
Davidbentley
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:49 am

Re: Rankings

Postby Davidbentley » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:44 pm

nikkiblast wrote:If you have nothing to say that's contributing to my question, it's best not to post.

Another Post Fascist.

User avatar
drmguy
Posts: 1016
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:43 am

Re: Rankings

Postby drmguy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:46 pm

nikkiblast wrote:I want to live in either California or Florida. I've been accepted to San Diego and Miami now.

Do you want to live in California or Florida because that is where you have been accepted or was that the plan all along?

User avatar
North
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Rankings

Postby North » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:22 pm

nikkiblast wrote:Are you a dick in real life too or just online?
If you have nothing to say that's contributing to my question, it's best not to post.

Everybody here is trying to help you. Can't blame him for being disappointed that you aren't listening.

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Rankings

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:26 pm

snapdragon25 wrote:I don't think this person can be reasoned with:


nikkiblast wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
nikkiblast wrote:Thanks for your suggestions!
Maybe I should have said it earlier, but I'm not going to be retaking the LSAT.

Why won't you be retaking the LSAT?


I've already taken it twice and I want to go to law school this upcoming September.

My question still stands missy

snapdragon25
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:43 pm

Re: Rankings

Postby snapdragon25 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:09 pm

It's frustrating when people come here for advice, write it off, then ask the same question in another thread expecting a different answer. The collective TLS response in your first thread was retake (or maybe FSU if it's cheap and you want to practice there). This thread will get the same response.

nikkiblast
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:39 pm

Re: Rankings

Postby nikkiblast » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:44 pm

snapdragon25 wrote:It's frustrating when people come here for advice, write it off, then ask the same question in another thread expecting a different answer. The collective TLS response in your first thread was retake (or maybe FSU if it's cheap and you want to practice there). This thread will get the same response.


It's not the same question, my question was about rankings.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Rankings

Postby hephaestus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:48 pm

nikkiblast wrote:
snapdragon25 wrote:It's frustrating when people come here for advice, write it off, then ask the same question in another thread expecting a different answer. The collective TLS response in your first thread was retake (or maybe FSU if it's cheap and you want to practice there). This thread will get the same response.


It's not the same question, my question was about rankings.

The answer is retake even if you asked a different question.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Rankings

Postby North » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:49 pm

nikkiblast wrote:
snapdragon25 wrote:It's frustrating when people come here for advice, write it off, then ask the same question in another thread expecting a different answer. The collective TLS response in your first thread was retake (or maybe FSU if it's cheap and you want to practice there). This thread will get the same response.


It's not the same question, my question was about rankings.

And that question was answered conclusively. Rankings should play absolutely no role in your decision making process. Debt, job prospects, and regional preferences should.

User avatar
Gunnar Stahl
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Rankings

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:50 pm

rad lulz wrote:
rad lulz wrote:1) How much are you taking out in loans for each. Include 3 years worth of interest
2) "Business lawyer" is a meaningless phrase. What do you actually want to do




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests