How are the interviews like for Law Schools? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
LSATdecember2012man

New

How are the interviews like for Law Schools?

Post by LSATdecember2012man » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:06 pm

I'm WAY ahead of my game about getting into top law schools, I'm only studying for the LSAT. but i'm burnt out right now and I'm researching the application process.

Anyway, I have noticed the top law schools give interviews occasionally.

How are they? Are they difficult? If you experienced one, what was asked? How do you respond to "Why x School?" or "Why do you want to be a lawyer?"

Thanks.

lukertin

Silver

Re: How are the interviews like for Law Schools?

Post by lukertin » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:38 pm

LSATdecember2012man wrote:How do you respond to "Why x School?" or "Why do you want to be a lawyer?"
Truthfully.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:21 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=200887

just google site:top-law-schools.com whateveryourelookingfor and you'll find it!

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:42 pm

Interviews are usually a good thing. Law schools don't waste time doing them unless they were seriously thinking (read better than 50% likelihood) of admitting you.

As someone who's been through both in-person and over-the-phone interviews (I went 4 for 4 with the schools I interviewed with), I can tell you they will only lob softball questions at you. It's your job not to fuck it up by sounding like a freak or a freak of nature, or some kind of mutant creature out of a swamp (you get the idea) when you answer said softball questions. Just be a normal human being and you will be fine.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:54 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Interviews are usually a good thing. Law schools don't waste time doing them unless they were seriously thinking (read better than 50% likelihood) of admitting you.
Except for Northwestern, which interviews almost everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Intrigue

New

Post by Intrigue » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:31 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Interviews are usually a good thing. Law schools don't waste time doing them unless they were seriously thinking (read better than 50% likelihood) of admitting you.
Except for Northwestern, which interviews almost everyone.
True. So maybe add that "invitation" interviews are usually a good thing.

LSATdecember2012man

New

Post by LSATdecember2012man » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:04 pm

As someone who's been through both in-person and over-the-phone interviews (I went 4 for 4 with the schools I interviewed with), I can tell you they will only lob softball questions at you. It's your job not to fuck it up by sounding like a freak or a freak of nature, or some kind of mutant creature out of a swamp (you get the idea) when you answer said softball questions. Just be a normal human being and you will be fine.
How did you respond to "why x school?" or "why do you want to be lawyer?" or "what will you do with a jd?'

I'm not copying, i thought of answers already for myself and I'm just kinda comparing

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:14 pm

LSATdecember2012man wrote:

How did you respond to "why x school?" or "why do you want to be lawyer?" or "what will you do with a jd?'

I'm not copying, i thought of answers already for myself and I'm just kinda comparing
I'm just throwing my two cents in here, but for my "Why Harvard?," I kinda answered a lot of these questions simultaneously. I talked about the quality of the student body, the quality of the professors and mentioned some professors that I knew and would like to take classes with, and mentioned how the school would be a great launching pad for my short- and medium-term goals, and talked about my interest in some of the clinics. There aren't going to be any weird questions, it really is just a matter of being honest and framing your decision in the best light possible. I think some people maybe psych themselves and try to have quirky or "too unique" responses or something, but I think authenticity is going to be the best route.

LSATdecember2012man

New

Post by LSATdecember2012man » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:02 pm

jselson wrote:
LSATdecember2012man wrote:

I'm just throwing my two cents in here, but for my "Why Harvard?," I kinda answered a lot of these questions simultaneously. I talked about the quality of the student body, the quality of the professors and mentioned some professors that I knew and would like to take classes with, and mentioned how the school would be a great launching pad for my short- and medium-term goals, and talked about my interest in some of the clinics. There aren't going to be any weird questions, it really is just a matter of being honest and framing your decision in the best light possible. I think some people maybe psych themselves and try to have quirky or "too unique" responses or something, but I think authenticity is going to be the best route.
Yea, I figured. Doesn't sound like anything to worry about if I get the opportunity. Thank you

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”