Public Defender & District Attorney Question

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

PD/DA positions

School prestige
25%
Graduating with as little debt as possible
75%

Total votes: 44

bizzybone1313

Re: Public Defender & District Attorney Question

Postby bizzybone1313 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:37 pm

Great thread. Better than Big Law this and Big Law that.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:39 pm

Mroberts3 wrote:LA DA has hired some people recently BUT they are all from an eligibility list that closed back in 2011. No way to tell when a new list will be open, but unless the 5 semester person was on that list, there is no way they are getting hired until a new one opens. I definitely get that local government hiring is not a model of clarity, but in this case LA DA has made it known for two years that any hiring is coming from that old list.

That changes my opinion. Still lame, but if he was told, that's his fault.

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:55 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:
Mroberts3 wrote:LA DA has hired some people recently BUT they are all from an eligibility list that closed back in 2011. No way to tell when a new list will be open, but unless the 5 semester person was on that list, there is no way they are getting hired until a new one opens. I definitely get that local government hiring is not a model of clarity, but in this case LA DA has made it known for two years that any hiring is coming from that old list.

That changes my opinion. Still lame, but if he was told, that's his fault.

For what it is worth, I don't think the 5 semesters were wasted. I just think the way gov't hiring works means this person can't expect to get hired at a particular location. 5 semesters of work experience is huge for a 3L and should give them a leg up when applying to other offices (not to mention LORs, etc).

Also, in defense of LA DA, the office is HUGE. I think there are like 1000 ADAs, but, unlike biglaw, they don't hate their lives after 3 years and leave to open up space. You may have spent a year at X branch office, but people who do the hiring still have never heard of you. Plus, there are TONS of interns floating around and I am sure that plenty of them have ADAs who would recommend them for a full time job. I guess my point is just that its not like this was 5 semesters in a 25 person DAs office/law firm where you know everyone. It's like 5 semesters with the federal government.

ITE. It is the suck.

Return to “Law School FAQ”