Peace Corps as a Soft?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jetsfan1

Peace Corps as a Soft?

Postby jetsfan1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:20 am

First, *general disclaimer that I know softs mean very very little and I am not going to join the corps just to help me get into law school* but since Im seriously considering it, and eventually want to go to law school too, where is this on the spectrum of softs? Similat to TFA? Thats my guess, but I only ask bc whenever I see "good" softs mentioned on this board, Peace Corps is never mentioned. Thanks.

Just again, to clarify, nothing heard here is gonna influence my decision on whether or not to join, that decision is totally independent of law school considerations, but just curious about the effects on law school admissions.

kwais

Re: Peace Corps as a Soft?

Postby kwais » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:26 am

I would think it would be (and should be) at least on par with TFA.

Swimp

Postby Swimp » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:14 am

I'm not sure how useful it really is to try to guess at some kind of "softs ranking" that puts Fulbright on par with Rhodes, and above TFA, and TFA above Peace Corps or whatever. With that said, there are a handful of soft factors that can have an appreciable effect on an application, and Peace Corps is undoubtedly in that group.

CMHCLT

Postby CMHCLT » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:21 am

TFA applicant--saw very little to no difference between my application at schools and others with the same numbers.

1 sample size: numbers are all that matter.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:23 pm

Swimp wrote:I'm not sure how useful it really is to try to guess at some kind of "softs ranking" that puts Fulbright on par with Rhodes, and above TFA, and TFA above Peace Corps or whatever. With that said, there are a handful of soft factors that can have an appreciable effect on an application, and Peace Corps is undoubtedly in that group.

I know you're not necessarily suggesting that it is, but a Fulbright is not on par with Rhodes/Marshall.

OP, Peace Corps is a strong soft. Definitely stronger than TFA.

Return to “Law School FAQ”