How binding are seat deposits

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
kjb

How binding are seat deposits

Postby kjb » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:56 pm

Is there anything wrong with securing a seat to buy yourself time? I still have quite a few applications that are pending review/in review. In the event that more preferable schools say no, I wanted to have something to fall back on. Considering these seat deposits are required between 4/1-4/14 I'm obviously concerned that I won't have heard back from many schools.

Not sure if this is frowned upon....or even possible. However if not it leaves me wondering what the best course of action would be.

thanks

BelugaWhale

Re: How binding are seat deposits

Postby BelugaWhale » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:58 pm

Usually its not, though you might not get deposit back. Just read the form, I'm sure they'll say. Generally though, it's not binding

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:03 am

I don't know of any school that requires you to withdraw pending applications when submitting your seat deposit. You shouldn't have to withdraw an app on which a decision hasn't been made or one where you have been waitlisted. Schools say they'll be mad if you deposit at more than one school, but I don't think this really matters until LSAC notifies schools of this on May 15th.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:04 am

LSAC doesn't let law schools ever require a student to withdraw outstanding apps from other schools at any stage in the process. However, you could lose your $$

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:08 am

they can't ask you to withdraw from WLs or pending apps

kjb

Postby kjb » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:13 am

Thanks for the responses.

In the grand scheme of things the deposit money is a minimal concern. I'd much rather "throw away a few hundred" than "throw a year away at a school I find less desirable".

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:16 am

kjb wrote:Thanks for the responses.

In the grand scheme of things the deposit money is a minimal concern. I'd much rather "throw away a few hundred" than "throw a year away at a school I find less desirable".

Indeed. Based on a rough understanding of you case (if you get into no more schools, you want X but X requires deposit before you get responses from schools that you would take over X), you should deposit

Return to “Law School FAQ”