K-JD Job Search

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
HankBashir

K-JD Job Search

Postby HankBashir » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:43 am

Are K-JDs at a great disadvantage when it comes to the hunt for summer positions and eventually getting a job post-law school? I notice that at a fair amount of T14s, most of the students there have had a year or two of WE and that this probably gives their resume a boost.

If you don't have this work experience, how worse off are you? Or can good grades help mitigate some of the damage caused by a lack of work experience?

Re: K-JD Job Search

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:11 am

Some disadvantage, but not a lot. Most t14 grades have little to no valuable work experience. In order to have significant value, the W/E has to be impressive or related to the job you are looking for. If you spend 2 years being a waiter, a secretary, a 3rd grade teacher, or some office monkey job it's not really a huge boost. But you get to talk about something in your interviews, you might have stories you can tell. But if you worked at a telecom, a telecom firm will like that a lot. But few t14 students have that kind of experience.

But I think there are some indirect intangibles that are also in play.

• Just being older makes you more mature
  • Having real world experience manages your expectations and goals. You are less likely to view school as the goal, and more as the method to getting a job. This makes you less likely talk about stupid shit in your interviews, like gushing about academia.
  • YOu know how to act in professional settings and how to converse.
  • You understand that working fucking blows. I cannot imagine how someone's first job being big law. You gotta deal with work sucking, and big law sucking even worse. School is way different from a real job. I wouldn't want to risk making rookie mistakes when you are playing for keeps.

The biggest reason I'd wait, is to make sure you are going to law school for the right reasons. Too many do it to stay in the academic womb.

Also, if tution keeps increasing and big law doesn't start paying more, it's not really worth it to go to law school even if you get big law.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:59 am

HankBashir wrote:Are K-JDs at a great disadvantage when it comes to the hunt for summer positions and eventually getting a job post-law school? I notice that at a fair amount of T14s, most of the students there have had a year or two of WE and that this probably gives their resume a boost.

If you don't have this work experience, how worse off are you? Or can good grades help mitigate some of the damage caused by a lack of work experience?

as a k-jd, i think similarly situated students are slightly disadvantaged. like fox said, however, most work experience isn't worth much besides being able to fill up your resume.

i think the key is how you come off during your interviews, especially if your grades aren't spectacular. if you are a mature k-jd, and come across as one during an interview, your age or your relative lack of experience won't really matter. personally, i had gone through only 2-3 interviews in my life prior to OCI, and so i struggled to build a rapport with my interviewers. i really thought hard about how my interviews went/the interviewing format in general and modified my interviewing tactics after OCI and was able to find success (despite being pretty borderline for a biglaw job). it isn't so much the answers (i said the same things, though i emphasized certain things), it's more so how you present yourself. i'm thinking about making a thread about it closer to OCI that gives some tips that most career offices don't give you.

HankBashir

Postby HankBashir » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:17 pm

Thanks for the replies!

Lasers, I hope you make that thread; sounds like it would be very helpful.

Return to “Law School FAQ”