Importance of major for T25

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
10romeom
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:29 pm

Importance of major for T25

Postby 10romeom » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:38 pm

Hey guys, I have a friend who has a 3.65 gpa and is expecting a 167-170 LSAT. Looking at top 25ish schools, but he is a criminal justice major. Will it really kill his chances that much? Seems to be a lot of conflicting info on the importance of UG major

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Importance of major for T25

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:38 pm

Moved to appropriate forum.

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Importance of major for T25

Postby WokeUpInACar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:40 pm

10romeom wrote:Hey guys, I have a friend who has a 3.65 gpa and is expecting a 167-170 LSAT. Looking at top 25ish schools, but he is a criminal justice major. Will it really kill his chances that much? Seems to be a lot of conflicting info on the importance of UG major

No not really. It doesn't. At all.

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: Importance of major for T25

Postby AlanShore » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:40 pm

10romeom wrote:Hey guys, I have a friend who has a 3.65 gpa and is expecting a 167-170 LSAT. Looking at top 25ish schools, but he is a criminal justice major. Will it really kill his chances that much? Seems to be a lot of conflicting info on the importance of UG major

wont really matter. not the best major so it wont give him a boost (some schools might look favorably at someone doing well in a hard science major) but wont hurt. just get a high gpa.

10romeom
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:29 pm

Re: Importance of major for T25

Postby 10romeom » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:42 pm

So essentially, it will ne'er hurt you but CAN help you?

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Importance of major for T25

Postby WokeUpInACar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:42 pm

10romeom wrote:So essentially, it will ne'er hurt you but CAN help you?

Yep

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Importance of major for T25

Postby cinephile » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:28 pm

10romeom wrote:So essentially, it will ne'er hurt you but CAN help you?


No.

10romeom
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:29 pm

Re: Importance of major for T25

Postby 10romeom » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:40 pm

cinephile wrote:
10romeom wrote:So essentially, it will ne'er hurt you but CAN help you?


No.


Care to explain?

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: Importance of major for T25

Postby 052220151 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:00 pm

10romeom wrote:
cinephile wrote:
10romeom wrote:So essentially, it will ne'er hurt you but CAN help you?


No.


Care to explain?


Schools care about the rankings. Rankings are driven by measurable numbers. My 3.8 in Hacky Sack with a minor in Masturbation Studies counts more than someone's 3.3 in Rocket Science according to USNWR. So, schools follow suit.

10romeom
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:29 pm

Re: Importance of major for T25

Postby 10romeom » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:32 pm

deputydog wrote:
10romeom wrote:
cinephile wrote:
10romeom wrote:So essentially, it will ne'er hurt you but CAN help you?


No.


Care to explain?


Schools care about the rankings. Rankings are driven by measurable numbers. My 3.8 in Hacky Sack with a minor in Masturbation Studies counts more than someone's 3.3 in Rocket Science according to USNWR. So, schools follow suit.


Hahahahaha very well put! Thanks for the clarification!

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: Importance of major for T25

Postby AlanShore » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:03 pm

deputydog wrote:
10romeom wrote:
cinephile wrote:
10romeom wrote:So essentially, it will ne'er hurt you but CAN help you?


No.


Care to explain?


Schools care about the rankings. Rankings are driven by measurable numbers. My 3.8 in Hacky Sack with a minor in Masturbation Studies counts more than someone's 3.3 in Rocket Science according to USNWR. So, schools follow suit.


Correct but schools may prefer a math major 3.8 over hacky sac...

User avatar
Davidbentley
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:49 am

Re: Importance of major for T25

Postby Davidbentley » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:08 pm

AlanShore wrote:
Correct but schools may prefer a math major 3.8 over hacky sac...


The effect is so marginal it's not worth consideration. Yes, if two 172/3.8 students are vying for the final spot in the class, the school may decide to credit the math major's superior RIGOR. But, the math major may also be named Keith, and the school may have some standards and decide not to admit someone with such a TTT first name. In either case, we would not say that either condition (being a math major; or being named keith) is likely to have an estimable impact on admissions in the aggregate.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests