IP boost for students w/o advanced degree

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Aawaldrop

IP boost for students w/o advanced degree

Postby Aawaldrop » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:09 am

I've read some somewhat mixed opinions on better employment prospects for those with hard science degrees (IP). I'll be graduating with a B.S. in Physics (K-JD) and although this makes me eligible for the IP bar, would this give me an advantage (even without WE or advanced degree)?

SaintsTheMetal

Re: IP boost for students w/o advanced degree

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:51 pm

Hey! Fellow Physics grad here. A 4.0 in Physics is damn impressive if nothing else lol; no one in my entire school has done that since I've been there lol. You are unlikely to get much of a helpful response here though. Check out the intelproplaw forum for a little more, but still not a ton. From my experience, rightly or wrongly, a Physics BS will not treated like an EE BS, but it will be a lot better than a Chem or Bio BS. from my research it seems like for BS degrees it goes something like EE~CS>ME~Physics>other weird engineering and chem>bio.

Personally I think it will depend a lot on what you chose to take and how you can sell yourself, supposing you can get the interview. i.e. beyond intro I took 1 year of E&M, and semesters each of QED, Solid State, electronic circuits. I think hope that this is more marketable than if I had spent the same amount of time concentrating on statistical thermodynamics or classical mechanics or relativity or something as theoretical.

I think most sciencey and engineering people know that physics could probably do the job just as well as an EE major, BUT having a degree in Physics on your bio just doesn't make you as marketable as if it was EE.

Anyways, no reason not to use it if you have it.. don't really have anything to lose. I'm self studying for the patent bar right now, hoping to take in the summer, as I'm already enrolled for LS in fall. Feel free to PM if you want to collaborate on that...

if you're really serious about patent prosecution, consider finding a job in the tech industry for a year or two. That should be no problem with a 4.0 in physics from a reputable school. Definitely check out intelproplaw, this forum tends to be clueless about it.

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:56 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply. Information on this topic is scarce (beyond IP generally positive). I'm still undecided on to whether I'll be attending law school in the fall, but I'll definitely take a look at intelproplaw.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:44 pm

Intelprop law is a joke. I read through some of the forums and is mainly a place for agents discussing particulars and people wanting to discuss self patent their invention.

There are a lot of disgruntled posters because they didn't know what TLS knows-go to the best school you can get into and how to do it.

go there if you want to do prosecution, I would avoid if you want to do litigation

Return to “Law School FAQ”