Excitement Level for 0Ls

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
sweetfrenchtoast

Excitement Level for 0Ls

Postby sweetfrenchtoast » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:08 pm

Alright, everyone: it's time to play the "Who's the most excited" game?

Full Disclosure: I have not yet decided whether or not I'm going to law school this year. I've been accepted into a few T14s and am weighing the financial aid/etc.

Perhaps it's TLS board stalking, or the vast amount of conversations I've had with friends/co-workers, or just general knowledge about what law school/loans/the job market look like but is anyone else not as excited at the prospect of attending law school as they feel they should be? Sometimes, I get all "gunner-style" fired up about it...but most of the time, I'm in my head thinking that it's going to be a lot of work and stress and late nights and that the loans may be tremendous and that the job market might suck and that I might end up in a job I HATE that takes away my sense of livelihood to pay those damn loans off. And right now, I'm trying to decide whether or not that's all worth it for the end result.

Anyone else feeling this way? Or is everyone ready and revving?

Pumpkin_Pie

Re: Excitement Level for 0Ls

Postby Pumpkin_Pie » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:36 pm

I get that. That's why it's free or don't go for me.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:36 pm

Last edited by SaintsTheMetal on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:04 am

I'm only going somewhere that gets me out with low debt, so I'm less worried about the long game. That makes me quite a bit more excited. If I were looking at hundreds of thousands of dollars, I'd probably be about like you--a mixture of "Oh hell yes!" and "Wait, WTF am I doing?"

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:08 am

nickb285 wrote:I'm only going somewhere that gets me out with low debt, so I'm less worried about the long game. That makes me quite a bit more excited. If I were looking at hundreds of thousands of dollars, I'd probably be about like you--a mixture of "Oh hell yes!" and "Wait, WTF am I doing?"

This. Lol. One of the most important rules of life I am going to pass on to my children is this: Do not dedicate your life to making other dumbasses rich. Not law school administrators. Not big law partners. Not Visa with their 10% interest rate on credit cards. Not Sallie Mae. Not the local car dealership. Not Wells Fargo and your home loan.

scruffy556

Postby scruffy556 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:28 am

I'm more excited about going to law school than I was about anything I can remember doing.

Actually, no. I was probably this excited about going to the dropzone for my first skydive. I think it's interesting in a way because I was so excited but in the back of my head I still worried about, you know, dying and such and now in the back of my head I'm worried about being a debt slave and never actually getting legal work...so just a different kind of suicide then skydiving had the potential to be.

I guess there has to be some level of risk for something to be really rewarding/excitement inducing.

secretagentman811

Postby secretagentman811 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:32 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:This. Lol. One of the most important rules of life I am going to pass on to my children is this: Do not dedicate your life to making other dumbasses rich. Not law school administrators. Not big law partners. Not Visa with their 10% interest rate on credit cards. Not Sallie Mae. Not the local car dealership. Not Wells Fargo and your home loan win the lottery, preferably Powerball.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:56 am

After that thread about the kid on facebook who was giddy with excitement about attending Cooley at sticker I feel like I should be estatic about any T1 with a full-ride

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:51 am

TripTrip wrote:After that thread about the kid on facebook who was giddy with excitement about attending Cooley at sticker I feel like I should be estatic about any T1 with a full-ride

This.

North

Postby North » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:01 am

sweetfrenchtoast wrote:Anyone else feeling this way? Or is everyone ready and revving?
Everyone I know IRL keeps asking me if I'm OMG super excited. Honestly, I'm not. I can't be. I'm terrified of the debt I'm signing up for and that I might be ruining my life by going to one of the best and oldest LS's in the country (thanks to TLS). If I get to thinking about some 0L thing like, oh wow, the Socratic method! It's going to be exhilarating to be subjected to such an ancient pedagogical method! My brain goes "DEBT, motherfucker. $250,000. That's what that costs. Still excited?" And I have to think, "Wow, okay. No, I'm not. This is a srs bsns gamble and there's nothing to be excited about." And that's just such a shame, IMO. These schools should be ashamed of how much they charge.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:11 am

nickb285 wrote:I'm only going somewhere that gets me out with low debt, so I'm less worried about the long game. That makes me quite a bit more excited. If I were looking at hundreds of thousands of dollars, I'd probably be about like you--a mixture of "Oh hell yes!" and "Wait, WTF am I doing?"

Pretty much this. I was moderately excited because I'm a huge fan of their football team and love the city but the debt I was about to take on for a lower T1 degree was making me really anxious (I EDed so I didn't have option to weigh). Suddenly I got a scholarship that cuts my COA down to 45k total and now I'm really excited!

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:31 pm

North wrote:
sweetfrenchtoast wrote:Anyone else feeling this way? Or is everyone ready and revving?
Everyone I know IRL keeps asking me if I'm OMG super excited. Honestly, I'm not. I can't be. I'm terrified of the debt I'm signing up for and that I might be ruining my life by going to one of the best and oldest LS's in the country (thanks to TLS). If I get to thinking about some 0L thing like, oh wow, the Socratic method! It's going to be exhilarating to be subjected to such an ancient pedagogical method! My brain goes "DEBT, motherfucker. $250,000. That's what that costs. Still excited?" And I have to think, "Wow, okay. No, I'm not. This is a srs bsns gamble and there's nothing to be excited about." And that's just such a shame, IMO. These schools should be ashamed of how much they charge.

I agree, but I think that pessimism has stymied my excitement even when it shouldn't. I look at a full-ride as an investment in the COL for three years instead of the awesome opportunity that it is.

It helps to talk about it with normal (read: non-TLS) people who know less about what the whole process means.

star fox

Postby star fox » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:00 pm

Nope. And that's why I'm most likely not going to Law School next year. The idea of taking on hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt for maybe a shot at a good job where I'll work LONG hours just so I can re-pay my debt.. where even if I last three years and get my debt paid off that's only a marginal chance I'd still be with "BigLaw".. and if not who knows what's out there. Really really wanna be debt free.. but will really have to bust on the LSAT to have a shot at that. Deep down I know Law School should just be avoided all together.. but it's what I've always wanted to do and don't really know what else I could do. Just gotta take it one day at a time.

quiver

Postby quiver » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:53 pm

Fear is good. Keep it in the back of your mind for motivation and focus on the excitement for now.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:26 pm

Yeah, it's kind of sad. I flipped through the admitted students handbook and had NO interest in any of the professors, courses, or clinics. It might be because I've been out of school for a couple years. In general, I really enjoyed studying and taking classes when I was in undergrad.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:43 am

HOLY FUCK ITS MARCH. NEXT MONTH SEAT DEPOSITS ARE DUE OH MY GOD. FREAK OUT.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:49 pm

john7234797 wrote:Nope. And that's why I'm most likely not going to Law School next year. The idea of taking on hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt for maybe a shot at a good job where I'll work LONG hours just so I can re-pay my debt.. where even if I last three years and get my debt paid off that's only a marginal chance I'd still be with "BigLaw".. and if not who knows what's out there. Really really wanna be debt free.. but will really have to bust on the LSAT to have a shot at that. Deep down I know Law School should just be avoided all together.. but it's what I've always wanted to do and don't really know what else I could do. Just gotta take it one day at a time.

I think that's a good outlook, especially if you are K-JD. Not going to grad school seems scary as a senior if you don't have a good job lined up. But it is the BEST decision I ever made, and even though I now am even more aware of the risks, I AM excited about staring law school!!!

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:35 pm

I'm already used to working long hours (and Law School will probably end up as less of a time drain as my current life in UG). I'd say I'm excited about moving on, and I like the general direction I'm moving in.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:44 pm

North wrote:

2L here, and while I can relate to this, I think it's important you do look at some of the positives and not let TLS and the debt get you down, otherwise you will not enjoy the law school experience. I can say, yes, I hate the $250K I have racked up, but I love the fact I went to law school. I have enjoyed meeting new people, taking classes, going through OCI, all of it. So while it's good to have a reality check, allow yourself to enjoy the accomplishment and take some pride in it. Now, no way I would give this same advice to someone attending a TTT at sticker, but from what you say it seems like you made a well thought out decision and will be attending a good/great school. No reason to worry about the money now, get psyched, enjoy first semester, and after grades come out you can start worrying again, if you need to.

alex.feuerman

Postby alex.feuerman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:45 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:

This. Lol. One of the most important rules of life I am going to pass on to my children is this: Do not dedicate your life to making other dumbasses rich. Not law school administrators. Not big law partners. Not Visa with their 10% interest rate on credit cards. Not Sallie Mae. Not the local car dealership. Not Wells Fargo and your home loan.

THIS. What happened to America that parents decided not to teach children these things? What happened that made it OK for Americans to borrow and borrow and borrow for cars and houses and purses they couldnt afford? and then take mortgage on top of mortgage? so not ok.

Anyway, I am VERY excited to go to school. I think it's because my current job is so impossibly boring I'm actually looking forward to being intellectually challenged once again. Will prob. feel differently around November, but for now I'm very excited. And I absolutely LOVE the area where I'm going to school.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:46 pm

I just hope that going to law school doesn't ruin my life.

CaptainLeela

Postby CaptainLeela » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:55 pm

I've worked in true, genuine shitlaw (Why yes, we'd love to do your bankruptcy for $450. Combine it with a divorce and you get a discount!) for 2 years and gotten extremely close with several of the attorneys. So I am a combination of SO EXCITED to go to school because the work and work environment are genuinely awful and also completely terrified because I know what happens if things go really poorly...

Nothing puts a fire under your ass quite like nothing just how bad things can get. I'm definitely amped up.
Last edited by CaptainLeela on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:58 pm

I am so not excited any more. I get scholarship e-mails for schools that aren't top 14 and I think "meh" and then imagine myself at a top-14 school drowning in debt and neither of those options seem exciting. I was excited before I joined TLS, because in my real life people hear the word "Georgetown" and get excited, or "full-tuition scholarship" and get excited. After a couple months on here I am thinking of saying no to all of it and taking a promotion at my current job, retaking the LSAT and trying it all over again with HYS or bust.

I hate being so jaded, but the idea of not having the opportunity to pursue the career path of your dreams due to non-T14 or not enjoying it later because you can't pay your bills or start a family feels horrible.
Last edited by Rory19 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fbmelms

Postby fbmelms » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:58 pm

I think this is the first time I've actually been excited for school.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:23 pm

I'm pretty excited - mainly about just moving on with my life though.

Return to “Law School FAQ”