(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
phillywc

Postby phillywc » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:52 am

Hey now
Last edited by phillywc on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TripTrip

Re: What qualifies as work experience?

Postby TripTrip » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:59 am

It counts just like any other work experience: very little unless you're gunning for NU.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:03 pm

Nobody cares where you worked before law school. Some schools give a slight bump for work experience, but they don't differentiate on job type--especially while you're in school.

In any case, WE hardly matters in admissions, even at those schools that like to see it--it might give you a slight advantage over an applicant who's never worked, but how you earned your beer money during undergrad is far, far less important than LSAT and GPA. Worry about studying for the LSAT and getting the best grades possible, not about where you're working.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:19 pm

words
Last edited by phillywc on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:27 pm

Work experience means post-undergrad work experience. Working during school is a soft, at best.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:29 pm

phillywc wrote:
TripTrip wrote:It counts just like any other work experience: very little unless you're gunning for NU.

I actually am gunning for Northwestern (after Penn). The Early Decision with free tuition thing is very appealing, and I don't have my LSAT numbers yet but I think even with a so-so GPA I might be able to get in.

The "quality" of the WE doesn't really matter for Northwestern. Retail is fine.

WE while in school, even full-time, doesn't usually count as post-grad WE for Northwestern because they can't list it in their "95% of our entering class has at least a year of full-time post-grad work experience!" stat.

You aren't getting the $150k ED scholarship with a so-so GPA (unless your definition of "so-so" is actually NU's median or above). Those offers are for people who can help them with both medians.

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:31 pm

A little off-topic, this is what cited on MBA predictor.
http://mbapredictor.com/predictor/expla ... d-quality/
Quality of Work Experience

5 – Very extensive managerial and/or executive duties requiring very extensive critical and independent thinking at a very reputable employer/firm
4 – Extensive managerial and/or executive duties requiring extensive critical and independent thinking at a reputable employer/firm
3 – Moderate managerial and/or executive duties requiring some critical and independent thinking at a reputable employer/firm
2 – Moderate managerial and/or executive duties requiring occasional critical and independent thinking at a somewhat reputable employer/firm
1 – Minimal managerial and/or executive duties requiring minimal critical and independent thinking at a relatively unknown employer/firm
0 – No managerial or executive duties requiring extremely minimal critical or independent thinking required

Thought this is pretty interesting.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:32 pm

MBA programs are looking for different WE and weight it very differently.

rcthebigred1

Postby rcthebigred1 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:37 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
phillywc wrote:
TripTrip wrote:It counts just like any other work experience: very little unless you're gunning for NU.

I actually am gunning for Northwestern (after Penn). The Early Decision with free tuition thing is very appealing, and I don't have my LSAT numbers yet but I think even with a so-so GPA I might be able to get in.

WE while in school, even full-time, doesn't usually count as post-grad WE for Northwestern because they can't list it in their "95% of our entering class has at least a year of full-time post-grad work experience!" stat.

You aren't getting the $150k ED scholarship with a so-so GPA (unless your definition of "so-so" is actually NU's median or above). Those offers are for people who can help them with both medians.

While I would have agreed with you in past cycles, LSN seems to indicate otherwise this year (unless, of course, NU's median has fallen substantially). A high LSAT is still a prerequisite though.

Fitz51

Postby Fitz51 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:02 pm

rcthebigred1 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
phillywc wrote:

While I would have agreed with you in past cycles, LSN seems to indicate otherwise this year (unless, of course, NU's median has fallen substantially). A high LSAT is still a prerequisite though.

TCR.

3.5+ with a high LSAT is worth throwing an ED application (assuming you've done your homework and want to be at NU, etc., etc.)

MAHamlin

Postby MAHamlin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:44 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
phillywc wrote:

For what it's worth, I was accepted to NU without post-undergrad work experience. Mind you, I worked for nearly a decade before undergrad, much of that time in construction as a self-employed contractor. I'm not sure how that WE is weighted, but it couldn't be considered full-time post-grad WE.

I also worked for the city and later for the state through two years of school. They weren't throwaway jobs, but again, it wasn't full-time post-grad WE.

So it is possible to be accepted to NU without that post-grad WE, but they may want to offset it with pre-grad or during school WE. Or... NU is trying to protect its medians and is softening on the WE requirement in hopes of grabbing a few more 170+ LSATs.

Return to “Law School FAQ”