(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
phillywc

Postby phillywc » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:52 am

Hey now
Last edited by phillywc on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TripTrip

Re: What qualifies as work experience?

Postby TripTrip » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:59 am

It counts just like any other work experience: very little unless you're gunning for NU.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:03 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:19 pm

words
Last edited by phillywc on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:27 pm

Work experience means post-undergrad work experience. Working during school is a soft, at best.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:29 pm

phillywc wrote:
TripTrip wrote:It counts just like any other work experience: very little unless you're gunning for NU.

I actually am gunning for Northwestern (after Penn). The Early Decision with free tuition thing is very appealing, and I don't have my LSAT numbers yet but I think even with a so-so GPA I might be able to get in.

The "quality" of the WE doesn't really matter for Northwestern. Retail is fine.

WE while in school, even full-time, doesn't usually count as post-grad WE for Northwestern because they can't list it in their "95% of our entering class has at least a year of full-time post-grad work experience!" stat.

You aren't getting the $150k ED scholarship with a so-so GPA (unless your definition of "so-so" is actually NU's median or above). Those offers are for people who can help them with both medians.

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:31 pm

A little off-topic, this is what cited on MBA predictor.
http://mbapredictor.com/predictor/expla ... d-quality/
Quality of Work Experience

5 – Very extensive managerial and/or executive duties requiring very extensive critical and independent thinking at a very reputable employer/firm
4 – Extensive managerial and/or executive duties requiring extensive critical and independent thinking at a reputable employer/firm
3 – Moderate managerial and/or executive duties requiring some critical and independent thinking at a reputable employer/firm
2 – Moderate managerial and/or executive duties requiring occasional critical and independent thinking at a somewhat reputable employer/firm
1 – Minimal managerial and/or executive duties requiring minimal critical and independent thinking at a relatively unknown employer/firm
0 – No managerial or executive duties requiring extremely minimal critical or independent thinking required

Thought this is pretty interesting.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:32 pm

MBA programs are looking for different WE and weight it very differently.

rcthebigred1

Postby rcthebigred1 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:37 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
phillywc wrote:
TripTrip wrote:It counts just like any other work experience: very little unless you're gunning for NU.

I actually am gunning for Northwestern (after Penn). The Early Decision with free tuition thing is very appealing, and I don't have my LSAT numbers yet but I think even with a so-so GPA I might be able to get in.

WE while in school, even full-time, doesn't usually count as post-grad WE for Northwestern because they can't list it in their "95% of our entering class has at least a year of full-time post-grad work experience!" stat.

You aren't getting the $150k ED scholarship with a so-so GPA (unless your definition of "so-so" is actually NU's median or above). Those offers are for people who can help them with both medians.

While I would have agreed with you in past cycles, LSN seems to indicate otherwise this year (unless, of course, NU's median has fallen substantially). A high LSAT is still a prerequisite though.

Fitz51

Postby Fitz51 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:02 pm

rcthebigred1 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
phillywc wrote:

While I would have agreed with you in past cycles, LSN seems to indicate otherwise this year (unless, of course, NU's median has fallen substantially). A high LSAT is still a prerequisite though.

TCR.

3.5+ with a high LSAT is worth throwing an ED application (assuming you've done your homework and want to be at NU, etc., etc.)

MAHamlin

Postby MAHamlin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:44 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
phillywc wrote:

For what it's worth, I was accepted to NU without post-undergrad work experience. Mind you, I worked for nearly a decade before undergrad, much of that time in construction as a self-employed contractor. I'm not sure how that WE is weighted, but it couldn't be considered full-time post-grad WE.

I also worked for the city and later for the state through two years of school. They weren't throwaway jobs, but again, it wasn't full-time post-grad WE.

So it is possible to be accepted to NU without that post-grad WE, but they may want to offset it with pre-grad or during school WE. Or... NU is trying to protect its medians and is softening on the WE requirement in hopes of grabbing a few more 170+ LSATs.

Return to “Law School FAQ”