Suspended Imposition of Sentence Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
alaskastudent

New

Suspended Imposition of Sentence

Post by alaskastudent » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:52 am

Approximately 7 years ago I was charged with felony theft for stealing a printer when I was 19. Since it was my only time being in trouble with the law I was given a suspended imposition of sentence, served my probation and my attorney told me that the charges were no more. So, I was never actually convicted of a felony. Would this still make it impossible to be admitted to law school and practice law after graduation? I ask this because I was told that this would never show up on a background check, but it did about 3 years ago when I applied to work at a bank. I got the job, but I had to explain the situation. What are my chances for a career practicing law? Thanks for your input!

vayze

New

Re: Suspended Imposition of Sentence

Post by vayze » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:16 am

Retake

mod edit: shitty posts like these in on-topics get you banned.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:18 am

You should be fine, although an attorney in the state you want to practice in may be worth consulting. No one here can really tell you anything.

But typically, they understand younger-year transgressions, as long as they aren't indicative of a pattern.

throw-away-soon

New

Post by throw-away-soon » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:21 am

alaskastudent wrote:Approximately 7 years ago I was charged with felony theft for stealing a printer when I was 19. Since it was my only time being in trouble with the law I was given a suspended imposition of sentence, served my probation and my attorney told me that the charges were no more. So, I was never actually convicted of a felony. Would this still make it impossible to be admitted to law school and practice law after graduation? I ask this because I was told that this would never show up on a background check, but it did about 3 years ago when I applied to work at a bank. I got the job, but I had to explain the situation. What are my chances for a career practicing law? Thanks for your input!
I just applied to a company that asks if you have ever gotten ARD/probation without verdict.

How did you get charged with a felony for stealing a printer?

alaskastudent

New

Post by alaskastudent » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:36 pm

It was a felony because of the value of the printer. I'm hoping that this stupid lapse in judgement doesn't affect my chances of attending law school.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:00 pm

OP, check PM

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”