How about number of credits taken per semester?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
FrankOcean

How about number of credits taken per semester?

Postby FrankOcean » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:02 pm

So, I worked two jobs while attending Cornell. I got a 4.0 but I also only took a max of 15 credits during semesters. One semester I even took just 12! I was just too busy to take on more.

Does this matter at all? Getting neurotic over here.

onionz

Re: How about number of credits taken per semester?

Postby onionz » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:04 pm

FrankOcean wrote:So, I worked two jobs while attending Cornell. I got a 4.0 but I also only took a max of 15 credits during semesters. One semester I even took just 12! I was just too busy to take on more.

No. 4.0 is all that matters.

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:28 pm

FrankOcean wrote:So, I worked two jobs while attending Cornell. I got a 4.0 but I also onlytook a max of 15 credits during semesters. One semester I even tookjust 12! I was just too busy to take on more.

--ImageRemoved--

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:31 pm

onionz wrote:
FrankOcean wrote:So, I worked two jobs while attending Cornell. I got a 4.0 but I also only took a max of 15 credits during semesters. One semester I even took just 12! I was just too busy to take on more.

As long as your application easily explains this beyond you just sitting back and smoking weed, you're solid. Get a 174+, head on over to HYS

Also, frank ocean neither got a 4.0 nor went to cornell

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:33 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
onionz wrote:

As long as your application easily explains this beyond you just sitting back and smoking weed, you're solid. Get a 174+, head on over to HYS and smoke weed.

Also, frank ocean neither got a 4.0 nor went to cornell

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:25 pm

Is this a serious question? Unless Cornell does things differently, 12 credits is the minimum for full time, and 15 credits is the standard full-time load. It's not like you ever dropped to part-time attendance. You don't have anything to worry about. This would be fine even if you hadn't been working.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:09 pm

I was in a similar situation last semester, taking 6 hours of internship credit (20 hours of actual work per week) and 6 hours of normal classes on top of another 20 hour per week job. Academically speaking, I was actually below the full time minimum, but JS seemed impressed by the time management my schedule required. I think it helped me much more than it hurt me, especially as a K-JD, showing I could juggle responsibilities.
So, if anything, I think it might help you a little with schools that really look at softs. It's definitely not game-changing, but it shouldn't hurt you at all.

FrankOcean

Postby FrankOcean » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:46 pm

thankssssssssssssssss. Feel better. Sometimes i just hear about people being insane and taking 20 credits a semester and such.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:54 am

FrankOcean wrote:thankssssssssssssssss. Feel better. Sometimes i just hear about people being insane and taking 20 credits a semester and such.

No worries. I have to remind myself how neurotic the app process can make a person. I definitely invented some wild stuff to worry over.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:24 am

FrankOcean wrote:thankssssssssssssssss. Feel better. Sometimes i just hear about people being insane and taking 20 credits a semester and such.

The only people I know who are doing that are the ones trying to graduate early, and they're working themselves to the bone trying to manage it. They also don't have to pay their own bills. Trying to do that on top of working? Ugh. Can't imagine. I think it would be more scary than impressive if I were on an adcom :lol:
Glad we could be of some comfort.

Return to “Law School FAQ”