Which is more feasable for me....pursue law or business

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
cherylann

Which is more feasable for me....pursue law or business

Postby cherylann » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Alright, I am torn between these two academic pursuits, career-wise and I am hoping someone can provide some valuable insight that could possibly steer me in the right direction.

Prior to having my transcripts summarized by LSAC, I have a gpa of 3.15 posted on my undergraduate transcript. I have taken the GMAT and placed above the 90th percentile. I have a valid reason for the undergraduate gpa. I have had some chronic healthproblems that persisted throughout my undergraduate career, but have subsided the last couple of years. Still, I have been told the GMAT score is a strong-point for me, coupled by the valid reason for the gpa, which still isnt deemed "abysmal or damaging" in terms of graduate school application. In addition, I have some valuable work experience upon graduation, 1-2 years.

I have always been interested in Finance, and the last couple of years, Wall Street banking. By the same token, I have an equal interest in NY Biglaw (corporate law). Which has subsequentely lead me to explore the options of both in great detail.

If I were to apply this Spring to graduate school for business, I have a 3.15 gpa with a great reason for why the gpa doesnt reflect my full potential, a high GMAT score, great work experience and would combine that with a great personal statement and letters or recommendation and could apply to a wide range of business schools (Columbia, NYU, Duke, Dartmouth, Harvard, Yale, Chicago)

That said, I have an equal interest in pursuing corporate law in NY. This will be likely insurmountably difficult for me, as Law School admissions have a seperate set of rules regarding admission.

I mentioned above, that my transcript gpa is above a 3.00, well if I were to have my transcripts summarized by LSAC, it would be a sub <2.5 (very abysmal) and my prospects are only the fact that on my practice LSAT exams I am placing above a 165.

With a sub 2.5 and theoretically if I score a 165 on the LSAT, it would be difficult to gain admission to a Tier 1, I would have to enroll in a Tier 2, and attempt to transfer To a T 14 (NY if at all possible), which would be slim to zero, since you never want to enroll in a law school with an aspiration of transferring since it only works out for less than 10 percent of all students.

So, which of these pursuits would serve me better? From everything I have described, clearly option 1 seems more ideal, since I will have above a 3.00 gpa, valid reason for the gpa due to chronic illness that transpired at that period of time, high GMAT, and valuable work experience, combined with other good prerequisities, and apply to business school

OR Take the LSAT, and see how high I score, apply and then go from there?

I anticipate, I will receive some replies from posters telling me that I am wasting the time of others or posting nonsense, but I feel if someone can possibly steer me in the right direction at this point, the insight may be valuable to myself or others.

hephaestus

Re: Which is more feasable for me....pursue law or business

Postby hephaestus » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:12 pm

I think the fact that B-schools are generally more forgiving of GPA, coupled with the fact that you have solid WE, makes B schools the better choice.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:13 pm

cherylann wrote:Alright, I am torn between these two academic pursuits, career-wise and I am hoping someone can provide some valuable insight that could possibly steer me in the right direction.

Prior to having my transcripts summarized by LSAC, I have a gpa of 3.15 posted on my undergraduate transcript. I have taken the GMAT and placed above the 90th percentile. I have a valid reason for the undergraduate gpa. I have had some chronic healthproblems that persisted throughout my undergraduate career, but have subsided the last couple of years. Still, I have been told the GMAT score is a strong-point for me, coupled by the valid reason for the gpa, which still isnt deemed "abysmal or damaging" in terms of graduate school application. In addition, I have some valuable work experience upon graduation, 1-2 years.

I have always been interested in Finance, and the last couple of years, Wall Street banking. By the same token, I have an equal interest in NY Biglaw (corporate law). Which has subsequentely lead me to explore the options of both in great detail.

If I were to apply this Spring to graduate school for business, I have a 3.15 gpa with a great reason for why the gpa doesnt reflect my full potential, a high GMAT score, great work experience and would combine that with a great personal statement and letters or recommendation and could apply to a wide range of business schools (Columbia, NYU, Duke, Dartmouth, Harvard, Yale, Chicago)

That said, I have an equal interest in pursuing corporate law in NY. This will be likely insurmountably difficult for me, as Law School admissions have a seperate set of rules regarding admission.

I mentioned above, that my transcript gpa is above a 3.00, well if I were to have my transcripts summarized by LSAC, it would be a sub <2.5 (very abysmal) and my prospects are only the fact that on my practice LSAT exams I am placing above a 165.

With a sub 2.5 and theoretically if I score a 165 on the LSAT, it would be difficult to gain admission to a Tier 1, I would have to enroll in a Tier 2, and attempt to transfer To a T 14 (NY if at all possible), which would be slim to zero, since you never want to enroll in a law school with an aspiration of transferring since it only works out for less than 10 percent of all students.

So, which of these pursuits would serve me better? From everything I have described, clearly option 1 seems more ideal, since I will have above a 3.00 gpa, valid reason for the gpa due to chronic illness that transpired at that period of time, high GMAT, and valuable work experience, combined with other good prerequisities, and apply to business school

OR Take the LSAT, and see how high I score, apply and then go from there?

I anticipate, I will receive some replies from posters telling me that I am wasting the time of others or posting nonsense, but I feel if someone can possibly steer me in the right direction at this point, the insight may be valuable to myself or others.

Law school is a terrible decision for anyone. Assuming you have a sub 3.0 and are not a URM, it becomes an absolutely life destroying decision. Your only hope would be to score above a 170 and try to apply to NU. Or you could always just use your GMAT and apply for their AJD program. Go with business school. You already have work experience they would want, it is a much better option.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:08 pm

I don't know anything about B-school admissions, but I can assure you that you won't get into any law school worth attending if you don't score above a 170 on the LSAT (assuming non-URM). If your LSDAS GPA is going to be less than a 2.5, you will probably need to hit 173 at minimum to even have a chance at a school worth attending.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:10 pm

First take the LSAT.
Then, apply to M7 business schools and T14 law schools.
If you get acceptances in both directions, come back for advice. If you get accepted to neither.......

star fox

Postby star fox » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:42 pm

People in here will act like business school is a way better investment than law school. They're right in that it costs a lot less. But outside of the top business schools it'll be hard to translate into an awesome job.

Return to “Law School FAQ”