Grad School GPA

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Striderite3

Grad School GPA

Postby Striderite3 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:26 pm

I'm currently in the second and final semester of my grad school program; and I'm trying to find the right balance between classes/work/LSAT studying for June. I know that the top two things that matter when applying to law school are the undergrad GPA and LSAT score. No questions asked.

So my question is how big of a role does my GPA from a one year Masters program play? Answer choices are below...
A) none- as long as I do well enough to graduate, law schools won't care about my GPA
B) marginal- law schools will care a bit; there's a difference between getting a 4.0 and a 3.5
C) significant- law schools will care a lot; there's a difference between getting a 4.0 and a 3.90

Any thoughts / personal experiences would be appreciated.

northwood

Re: Grad School GPA

Postby northwood » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:28 pm

law schools care about your undergrad GPA. However, they do and will need to see ALL of your transcripts ( from courses taken in high school to your masters program) so dont totally go into cruise control.

scifiguy

Postby scifiguy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:29 pm

northwood wrote:law schools care about your undergrad GPA. However, they do and will need to see ALL of your transcripts ( from courses taken in high school to your masters program) so dont totally go into cruise control.

HS transcripts?///HUH?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:30 pm

What schools ask for HS transcripts?

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:32 pm

kalvano wrote:What schools ask for HS transcripts?

Sweet I knew that 4.5 was gonna pay off someday.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:33 pm

kalvano wrote:What schools ask for HS transcripts?

if you took community college courses in high school- and went for the credit.. then you need those transcripts( from the community college)

no one cares about your high school transcripts ( if fact they havent been destroyed yet)

my fault, y'all

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:33 pm

Oh, Northwood meant college classes taken while in HS. I misread that.

Edit - scooped.

banjo

Postby banjo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:39 pm

If you do poorly in graduate school, it will be a red flag and it can definitely hurt your cycle. I had a couple of grades that were unusual for a grad school transcript and I think it had a pretty large negative effect at H, and possibly Columbia as well. On the other hand, Chicago, which Leiter calls [the] most like that of a graduate program in a PhD field, in terms of the intellectual engagement of both faculty and students," didn't even bring up my graduate work in my 21-minute interview. It really depends on the dean/school.

Striderite3

Postby Striderite3 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:01 pm

banjo wrote:If you do poorly in graduate school, it will be a red flag and it can definitely hurt your cycle. I had a couple of grades that were unusual for a grad school transcript and I think it had a pretty large negative effect at H, and possibly Columbia as well. On the other hand, Chicago, which Leiter calls [the] most like that of a graduate program in a PhD field, in terms of the intellectual engagement of both faculty and students," didn't even bring up my graduate work in my 21-minute interview. It really depends on the dean/school.

Thanks for the response. Yeah I just don't want it to look like I mailed it in my last semester of grad school. But I also want to start to devoting more time to my LSAT studying. It'll probably be a slight give-and-take.

Return to “Law School FAQ”