Listing Acceptances on Resume for Application

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
GoodTimes
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Listing Acceptances on Resume for Application

Postby GoodTimes » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:13 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
It's a bad enough idea that people don't really care about having an argument about why it's a bad idea, because it feels like such a dumb argument to have. It makes you seem socially retarded because it's not an accomplishment (something else that has already been said in this thread).


I think it is an accomplishment to get admitted to certain law schools and be offered scholarships at them, just like someone would list the fact that they received a scholarship at their undergraduate institution. I agree with your later points, though I did put my law acceptances on my resume for a 6 month job I applied to recently and got it. Thanks.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Listing Acceptances on Resume for Application

Postby Emma. » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:18 am

GoodTimes wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
It's a bad enough idea that people don't really care about having an argument about why it's a bad idea, because it feels like such a dumb argument to have. It makes you seem socially retarded because it's not an accomplishment (something else that has already been said in this thread).


I think it is an accomplishment to get admitted to certain law schools and be offered scholarships at them, just like someone would list the fact that they received a scholarship at their undergraduate institution. I agree with your later points, though I did put my law acceptances on my resume for a 6 month job I applied to recently and got it. Thanks.


Look, maybe you missed this the first time I said it. Context matters. In the context of a law school application, being admitted to another law school is not an achievement. It has no place on your resume.

If the school really is your first choice you can find another way to brag about your acceptances. E.g. in some addendum: "I feel honored to have received a and b scholarship at x and y school, but your school remains my first choice and if offered a chance I wouldn't hesitate to attend."

User avatar
TheThriller
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: Listing Acceptances on Resume for Application

Postby TheThriller » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:21 am

Dont pretend that you got into UChicago breh, that shit can get you on C&F.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Listing Acceptances on Resume for Application

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:28 am

GoodTimes wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
It's a bad enough idea that people don't really care about having an argument about why it's a bad idea, because it feels like such a dumb argument to have. It makes you seem socially retarded because it's not an accomplishment (something else that has already been said in this thread).


I think it is an accomplishment to get admitted to certain law schools and be offered scholarships at them, just like someone would list the fact that they received a scholarship at their undergraduate institution. I agree with your later points, though I did put my law acceptances on my resume for a 6 month job I applied to recently and got it. Thanks.


You're right, it's wrong to say getting into certain law schools or being offered scholarships at them isn't an accomplishment. But Emma's point is on the mark--the signalling value of putting acceptances on a resume is just really worthless when applying to law schools, esp. to a school like Yale. (Maybe named full-ride scholarships like Rubsenstein would carry a signalling value of worth to Yale, but it still seems a bit awkward since those scholarships are usually mostly numbers based. The only thing to me that doesn't really seem awkward and makes since to list would be named scholarships that are based heavily on non-number components (like NYU's Root-Tilden-Kern's scholarship).) Putting law school acceptances on job applications can be a useful signal to employers, I won't argue with that, since it conveys information about your worth that the employers wouldn't already know. But that information value just isn't there when applying to other law schools, since they can see your LSAT and UG GPA for themselves.

User avatar
Shmoopy
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: Listing Acceptances on Resume for Application

Postby Shmoopy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:33 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote: Putting law school acceptances on job applications can be a useful signal to employers, I won't argue with that, since it conveys information about your worth that the employers wouldn't already know.


I know OP said he did this and got a job, but is this really a good idea? It seems to me like it could signal a number of things, none of which are positive:

- I actually want to be a lawyer, not do whatever your job is.
- I want to go to law school and I might leave soon.
- I have a useless liberal arts degree and don't know what to do with myself.
- I failed at applying to law school for some reason -- I changed my mind, didn't get into good enough schools, etc.

Many of us can relate to some of these, so they aren't necessarily that bad, but they don't seem like the kind of things you would say to make a good first impression.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Listing Acceptances on Resume for Application

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:51 am

Shmoopy wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote: Putting law school acceptances on job applications can be a useful signal to employers, I won't argue with that, since it conveys information about your worth that the employers wouldn't already know.


I know OP said he did this and got a job, but is this really a good idea? It seems to me like it could signal a number of things, none of which are positive:

- I actually want to be a lawyer, not do whatever your job is.
- I want to go to law school and I might leave soon.
- I have a useless liberal arts degree and don't know what to do with myself.
- I failed at applying to law school for some reason -- I changed my mind, didn't get into good enough schools, etc.

Many of us can relate to some of these, so they aren't necessarily that bad, but they don't seem like the kind of things you would say to make a good first impression.


I should have emphasized the "can" in my previous statement. I think it could be a bad signal in many instances, but under the right conditions it could be a positive one.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Listing Acceptances on Resume for Application

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:29 am

Crowing wrote:
Emma. wrote:ITT: OP proves that UChi's new interview policy doesn't work.


Twist: U of C adcomms are actually just as aspie as applicants


May make it worse because of exactly that.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22882
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Listing Acceptances on Resume for Application

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:50 am

GoodTimes wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
It's a bad enough idea that people don't really care about having an argument about why it's a bad idea, because it feels like such a dumb argument to have. It makes you seem socially retarded because it's not an accomplishment (something else that has already been said in this thread).


I think it is an accomplishment to get admitted to certain law schools and be offered scholarships at them, just like someone would list the fact that they received a scholarship at their undergraduate institution. I agree with your later points, though I did put my law acceptances on my resume for a 6 month job I applied to recently and got it. Thanks.

The thing is, presumably you list this on your resume because you actually accepted the scholarship and used it. If you don't end up attending one of the law schools you list on your resume, you won't be accepting/using the scholarship. So again, it's the distinction between something you actually have done and something you haven't.

Personally I think one of the biggest reasons not to put all this crap on your resume is that it has the most value in helping you negotiate scholarships after acceptance, and if you put it on your resume when you apply, you've blown your wad.

User avatar
stuckinthemiddle
Posts: 312
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:24 am

Re: Listing Acceptances on Resume for Application

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:13 am

OP, what schools and what scholarships? I'm genuinely interested.

User avatar
jselson
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: Listing Acceptances on Resume for Application

Postby jselson » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:20 am

If the schools that you've listed are worse schools than the one you're applying to (say, for a particular reason, or in the T14), then the school won't care and will find it strange that you're bragging about getting into easier schools.

If the schools that you've listed are better schools, then you'll get YP'd.

No matter what, the adcomms will think that you don't trust them enough to know what they're looking for themselves, and there's an implied threat in listing the schools, something akin to "I don't really need you," that would be off-putting in any situation.

Part of the art of any application is the performance: you want to make it seem as if you really care about that school individually, that you really are a well-adjusted individual, that you really will thrive in a very stressful environment with poise - the best case is when all those things are true, but sometimes they aren't. Choosing what to leave out is just as important as choosing what to put in, and displays another great skill, and one that's difficult for a lot of people: the skill of editing, which implies confidence.

By adding the other schools, you think you are showing that you are a sort-of tough guy, but really you're showing weakness by not letting your genuine capabilities stand out on their own.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6049
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: Listing Acceptances on Resume for Application

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:59 am

You seem like you've already decided that you want to do this, so why are you asking for advice on it?

It's a dumb idea, but since you want to do it...do it.

User avatar
LexLeon
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: Listing Acceptances on Resume for Application

Postby LexLeon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:33 pm

I disagree with much of the above advice. It seems so sharp that I'd be surprised if it was not at all motivated by envy.

Of course your acceptances and scholarship offers at peer schools would have a (positive) bearing on the review of your application. However, it's probably a gamble whether directly informing those who review your application will have a positive effect.

If you're only applying to one more school, and you really care about acceptance, I'd probably omit the information. If you were to apply to several, some of which you're fairly certain you'd get in to anyway, I might include the information.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Listing Acceptances on Resume for Application

Postby fatduck » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:50 pm

these are my favorite threads.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Listing Acceptances on Resume for Application

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:11 pm

I dunno guys. This is better than half of the crap Ive seen on some resumes.

User avatar
suralin
better than you
Posts: 15089
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:52 am

Re: Listing Acceptances on Resume for Application

Postby suralin » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:36 pm

LexLeon wrote:I disagree with much of the above advice. It seems so sharp that I'd be surprised if it was not at all motivated by envy.

Of course your acceptances and scholarship offers at peer schools would have a (positive) bearing on the review of your application. However, it's probably a gamble whether directly informing those who review your application will have a positive effect.

If you're only applying to one more school, and you really care about acceptance, I'd probably omit the information. If you were to apply to several, some of which you're fairly certain you'd get in to anyway, I might include the information.


LOL

User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: Listing Acceptances on Resume for Application

Postby elterrible78 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:42 pm

GoodTimes wrote:I'm about to send in my last law application, I already have a handful of acceptances and scholarships, and I was wondering whether it would be a bad idea to include on my resume a few particularly prestigious acceptances and scholarships I have received. This is a very good school I am applying to, better than my acceptances so far, so I highly doubt that the school will think I may pick one of my other options over it (especially since I wouldn't be applying to it at this point in the game if it wasn't my 1st choice). I can see how this is a bad idea - it may be viewed as very unusual to put law school acceptances as an item on a law school application, they may think it is uninformative and redundant, suggestive that I don't think they are fully capable of evaluating my application, and perhaps it is insulting to think they will be swayed by what a few excellent schools' admissions committees thought of my app.

Nevertheless, I really do have some prestigious scholarships and acceptances that may convince them that they are missing out if they reject me.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thank you for any advice!


Read what you just wrote as kind of a "pros and cons" list, and then realize that you answered your own stupid question.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Listing Acceptances on Resume for Application

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:03 am

elterrible78 wrote: the school will think I may pick one of my other options over it (especially since I wouldn't be applying to it at this point in the game if it wasn't my 1st choice).




If a school was interested in your acceptances and scholarships they can get the info themselves. The law school admissions world is a small one, and you already have to tell them where else you applied when submitted the application. Save the offers for if you get in and need them for scholly negotiations.

Your logic behind the statement above is kinda funny




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests