Getting overwhelmed with work!?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Barack O'Drama

Getting overwhelmed with work!?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:05 pm

Hey everyone, I just wanted to see if anyone has any insight, advice, tips, etc... when it comes to getting overwhelmed with school and work.

My approach is taking it day by day, however, there may just be a better way to look at it. I got an internship at the NY State Assembly and between that (30 hours/wk min) and schoolwork (readings, reports, tests) I just feel more buried than ever. I need the money that the job provides and I can't sacrifice my grades either. I figured who better to ask for advice than students in law school. How do you keep going on? And what techniques if any do you implement in your daily life to keep up with all the work.

Bronx Bum

Re: Getting overwhelmed with work!?

Postby Bronx Bum » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:09 pm

ABA 20 hour rule.

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:14 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:ABA 20 hour rule.

Not familiar?

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:16 pm

:shock:

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:19 pm

Bronx Bum wrote::shock:

Oh, I'm a 0L, I should have specified. I'm assuming the 30 hour ABA doesn't apply to me, sadly.

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:20 pm

The ABA, that looks out for us and always has our back, thought it would be a great idea to tell grown men and women how much they can and cannot work during the school year while attending full time. In addition to schools charging $47k per year, and the constant struggle for law graduates to find paying work after they graduate, they also thought it would be a great idea to take the "bat to the knees" when it comes to students gaining valuable work experience (maybe even for a potential employer) during their 3 years in ls.

So they made it a rule that you can't work over 20 hours per week or you are in violation of the ABA rules.

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:21 pm

GregoryADevine wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:ABA 20 hour rule.

Not familiar?

Edit. Google FTW :D .

And +1 to what BB said
Last edited by BerkeleyBear on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:22 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:The ABA, that looks out for us and always has our back, thought it would be a great idea to tell grown men and women how much they can and cannot work during the school year while attending full time. In addition to schools charging $47k per year, and the constant struggle for law graduates to find paying work after they graduate, they also thought it would be a great idea to take the "bat to the knees" when it comes to students gaining valuable work experience (maybe even for a potential employer) during their 3 years in ls.

So they made it a rule that you can't work over 20 hours per week or you are in violation of the ABA rules.

Yeah, I've heard that and also some schools won't allow you to work at all 1L year? I'm not sure if that's true or not... Either way that's not very fair, especially for someone in LS being charged that much.

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:23 pm

GregoryADevine wrote:

Oh, I'm a 0L, I should have specified. I'm assuming the 30 hour ABA doesn't apply to me, sadly.

Well, if you're looking for general advice on the topic, you're asking the wrong people because many-most law students have never worked a real job (non internship) a day in their life.

jml8756

Postby jml8756 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:54 pm

I don't think anyone's going to have any tips for you that will magically ease your stress. The answer here is just that you're doing too much. Your options are (a) take out loans so you can quit your job or reduce your hours; (b) drop down to part-time in school and maybe take some classes during summer; or (c) keep working your tail off until your grades suffer, your work suffers, and/or you drop from exhaustion.

Also, have you talked to your registrar to see if you can get some sort of credit for your internship? Seems like something that might fit into a Political Science Practicum, which could take a class or two off your course load.

I don't know of any law student who is working 30 hours on top of a full load. 16ish maybe, and even that's pretty rare.

cgw

Postby cgw » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:34 pm

GregoryADevine wrote:Hey everyone, I just wanted to see if anyone has any insight, advice, tips, etc... when it comes to getting overwhelmed with school and work.

My approach is taking it day by day, however, there may just be a better way to look at it. I got an internship at the NY State Assembly and between that (30 hours/wk min) and schoolwork (readings, reports, tests) I just feel more buried than ever. I need the money that the job provides and I can't sacrifice my grades either. I figured who better to ask for advice than students in law school. How do you keep going on? And what techniques if any do you implement in your daily life to keep up with all the work.

I don't recommend the day by day strategy, at least it didn't work for me in UG. The best approach for me was to make a ton of lists. I had weekly lists, monthly lists, semester lists, and lists by class. It was helpful to always know what I needed to have done and when and gave me a sense of control when my schedule seemed overwhelming. At least working for the State Assembly I imagine you have a set schedule and weekends off. Are you involved in a lot of extracurriculars you could cut back on? Because it honestly doesn't sound all that overwhelming.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:37 pm

GregoryADevine wrote:

So wait, are you asking for just general work / school advice and not law school work / school advice? Because if you're feeling overwhelmed with undergrad, law school isn't going to be any better.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:48 pm

GregoryADevine wrote:Hey everyone, I just wanted to see if anyone has any insight, advice, tips, etc... when it comes to getting overwhelmed with school and work.

stop being a whiny bitch and figure it out.

Not to be a dick, but, you're on a message board for law students, the vast majority of whichthose who find jobs will have to deal with a shitload of work after they graduate that'll put what you're going through to shame

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:54 pm

I worked a full-time job at one point in undergrad. How did I manage? Well, the job was second shift security at a retirement home, and it was fucking undergrad. Undergrad is easy.

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:06 am

cgw wrote:

I don't recommend the day by day strategy, at least it didn't work for me in UG. The best approach for me was to make a ton of lists. I had weekly lists, monthly lists, semester lists, and lists by class. It was helpful to always know what I needed to have done and when and gave me a sense of control when my schedule seemed overwhelming. At least working for the State Assembly I imagine you have a set schedule and weekends off. Are you involved in a lot of extracurriculars you could cut back on? Because it honestly doesn't sound all that overwhelming.

Yeah I do a small thing with a business club here (It's only Tuesday nights from like 6-9) I could probably do without that. Yes to lists. Helps to lay things out for the big picture. However, I only make them on weekly agenda. I think I could benefit from a more large (Month) one. Thanks for actually offering advice.

Whoever said stop being a whiny bitch, lol. I'm not being whiny, I'm stepping up and asking for advice and insight. Bottom line- I think what jml8756 said was right. Just doing too much. I could do without the business club and a few other weekly things. And the internship has a big research paper and few projects. Thanks for those who offered some advice.

throw-away-soon

Postby throw-away-soon » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:19 am

If you can't handle the load, less hours at work or drop a class or go PT. I worked 20hrs per week during undergrad and took 15-19 credits, had at least 4 hours devoted to clubs/greek life, but everybody is different. Some people can't balance even 10 hours of work and 15 credits. The one semester I did a 9hr a week IOP program for 3 1/2 months was by far my worst semester (3.0). Once I had those hours back I got a 4.0.

It depends on your schedule, major, you classes, etc; I need to fill my time up with as much structure as possible.

Unless you are making a ton of money or way above min wage, working 20hrs instead isn't going to save you that much. My school's min wage was $9.25, so 20hrs brought in enough skrilla. You probably could find the time to work those extra 10 hrs, but if you're struggling that much financially maybe transfer to a cheaper school.

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:43 pm

throw-away-soon wrote:If you can't handle the load, less hours at work or drop a class or go PT. I worked 20hrs per week during undergrad and took 15-19 credits, had at least 4 hours devoted to clubs/greek life, but everybody is different. Some people can't balance even 10 hours of work and 15 credits. The one semester I did a 9hr a week IOP program for 3 1/2 months was by far my worst semester (3.0). Once I had those hours back I got a 4.0.

It depends on your schedule, major, you classes, etc; I need to fill my time up with as much structure as possible.

Unless you are making a ton of money or way above min wage, working 20hrs instead isn't going to save you that much. My school's min wage was $9.25, so 20hrs brought in enough skrilla. You probably could find the time to work those extra 10 hrs, but if you're struggling that much financially maybe transfer to a cheaper school.

All good points!
I'm okay financially (now) I just don't get help from my parents so it's all on me and I'd like to be adding to my savings not draining. Anyways, yeah I have a great GPA and want to keep it. If anything I can jettison the business club and some other on campus activity. The State Assembly internship I want to keep. I'm a History major- And I took one too many classes this semester. In any case looking like Business meetings are not happening anymore.

Return to “Law School FAQ”