Can you get into law school with excessive W grades?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
marievanpelt

Can you get into law school with excessive W grades?

Postby marievanpelt » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:11 pm

Although, I havent had my transcripts sent in to be summarized by LSAC, I calculated my gpa how they do (absolute) and my withdrawals are non-punitive, so I am expecting a 2.58 gpa. And I took the LSAT and received a 169.

However, I may be able to raise my gpa to 2.7 and my LSAT to at least 170 when I take it in June. With a great LSAT and abysmal gpa, I realize people can break the top 35, but every other person with these stats never had an excessive amount of W's.

I had a stroke in undergrad which impacted my gpa, and resulted in so many withdrawals. I will mention this in an addendum. And like I said 2.58/169 arent unpromising stats, but dont you think its possible that I wont get in anywhere since my transcript has 50 non-punitive W grades. Wouldnt admissions freak out seeing so many W's???

I just really wish there is someone on here that many W grades like I have for (medical reasons) and can tell me how admissions treated this???

cinephile

Re: Can you get into law school with excessive W grades?

Postby cinephile » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:13 pm

Get some work experience, raise the LSAT a few more points, and apply to Northwestern?

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:14 pm

I'd worry about the GPA more than the W's.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:24 pm

Yeah, the Ws aren't going to matter. If anything, the illness makes you a more interesting applicant (yay for diversity). However, I would try to get that GPA up - if you haven't graduated yet, community college that gives A+s would be good for a semester or two.

But wait... FIFTY Ws? How is that even possible? If you're on the quarter system, you would have to withdrawl from all four years? So I just went ahead and assumed you meant FIVE

howardgirl

Postby howardgirl » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:27 pm

marievanpelt wrote:Although, I havent had my transcripts sent in to be summarized by LSAC, I calculated my gpa how they do (absolute) and my withdrawals are non-punitive, so I am expecting a 2.58 gpa. And I took the LSAT and received a 169.

However, I may be able to raise my gpa to 2.7 and my LSAT to at least 170 when I take it in June. With a great LSAT and abysmal gpa, I realize people can break the top 35, but every other person with these stats never had an excessive amount of W's.

I had a stroke in undergrad which impacted my gpa, and resulted in so many withdrawals. I will mention this in an addendum. And like I said 2.58/169 arent unpromising stats, but dont you think its possible that I wont get in anywhere since my transcript has 50 non-punitive W grades. Wouldnt admissions freak out seeing so many W's???

I just really wish there is someone on here that many W grades like I have for (medical reasons) and can tell me how admissions treated this???

Girl... I really feel like I wrote this post. I have about 70-80 credits worth of W's on my transcript. This made my GPA almost identical to yours, a little lower actually. Send me a PM.

Edit: Also, I broke the top 25, and my LSAT is significantly lower than yours.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:33 pm

You have as valid of a reason for your number of withdrawals as anyone possibly could. I don't think they will be held against you. Adcomms will want to see that you're fit to handle law school at this point, and your three consecutive semesters with no withdrawals and higher GPA demonstrates that you are. I've heard of people whose transcripts suffered similarly as they dealt with cancer outperforming their GPAs at a number of schools. Explanations of sub-par undergrad performance generally don't help much at all, but I think cases of very serious medical issues like yours are the exception here. Several schools will likely focus largely on your LSAT, and your experiences might be seen as a potential source of diversity of perspective. It would help you tremendously if you could hit 170 on the LSAT.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:14 pm

I had 8 total Ws on my transcript. So far so good.

grapefruits

Postby grapefruits » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:37 pm

Chill out.

Like just about everything that gets reported to law schools, it will be reviewed, and will likely have an impact on your application. If you have a legitimate excuse, it will be less damaging.

Return to “Law School FAQ”