can someone give me a straight answer regarding W grades

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
marievanpelt

can someone give me a straight answer regarding W grades

Postby marievanpelt » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:35 pm

Alright, at my school, if you Withdrawal, you just get a W and it does not count in your gpa, and on the schools transcript legend and descriptions it says W = not computed. I have asked other people from my school if they had W's when they applied and they said their W grades werent counted.

However,

When I have called LSAC, at least 4 times about this issue, I have received conflicting statements. The first time I called, the representative said, "as long as its a W we wont count it", another time when I tried to ask again she said, "If its anything but a W then we have to count it" . The problem is that if you get a W grade, at the bottom under transcript totals it lists "gpa hours, and hours attempted", and on the LSAC website they said we deem failure as credit attempted and not earned, when I called back 2 more times, another rep said, "It depends on the school and we would have to see the transcript".

Is there anyone that goes to a school that has non-punitive Withdrawals, but yet it still lists them in attempted hours at the bottom of your transcript? How did LSAC handle those.

stillwater

Re: can someone give me a straight answer regarding W grades

Postby stillwater » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:37 pm

marievanpelt wrote:Alright, at my school, if you Withdrawal, you just get a W and it does not count in your gpa, and on the schools transcript legend and descriptions it says W = not computed. I have asked other people from my school if they had W's when they applied and they said their W grades werent counted.

However,

When I have called LSAC, at least 4 times about this issue, I have received conflicting statements. The first time I called, the representative said, "as long as its a W we wont count it", another time when I tried to ask again she said, "If its anything but a W then we have to count it" . The problem is that if you get a W grade, at the bottom under transcript totals it lists "gpa hours, and hours attempted", and on the LSAC website they said we deem failure as credit attempted and not earned, when I called back 2 more times, another rep said, "It depends on the school and we would have to see the transcript".

Is there anyone that goes to a school that has non-punitive Withdrawals, but yet it still lists them in attempted hours at the bottom of your transcript? How did LSAC handle those.

Bro, chill. If they are non-punitive, they won't count. End of story. Just wait until the LSAC calculates your GPA and if they f it up. Then call them and work it out. It depends on your undergraduate institution, there is no magic in this at all.

Return to “Law School FAQ”