Holding out

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Aldo

Holding out

Postby Aldo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:00 pm

Recently, growing sentiment on Professor Campos' blog (at least as voiced by a number of his more reputable followers) has been that there is no justifiable reason to attend law school this year. This claim is largely backed by this cycle's unprecedented drop in applicants and the resultant desperate scrambling by law schools to draw in any applicant that will pony up tuition (free iPads anyone?).

Bloggers like Campos have kept their voices raised, pointing out the inevitability of TTT's closing as the well dries out - the first domino in cutting down the total number of ABA-sanctioned law schools, and, perhaps soon, the driving down of ridiculous tuition costs. From this is derived the hope that legal employment oversaturation will begin to be reigned in (though this doesn't touch on the perceived evolution of the law game away from the '160K --> The Good Life' career track that is largely associated with the pre-recession golden days).

Their point is: law schools appear to be on the ropes, and one more year of this desperation could seriously alter the landscape (and besides, these critics point out, delaying for a year or two and getting some real work experience is probably beneficial - law school will always be there).

What does TLS think about all this? I am curious because I happen to be in a somewhat enviable situation as I choose a school to potentially attend this fall. I am a splitter who does not need to worry about taking on debt (thanks to the resources and generosity of loved ones - though my commitment to one day pay them back can't be overlooked in this decision). I've been accepted to a few T14s and been wait listed at pretty much all the rest, including the particular T6 I hope to attend. Based on my underwhelming numbers, I am definitely over-exceeding this cycle. If I can get into this T6, do you think it is worth it to attend, or will the landscape shift even greater in applicants' favor in the upcoming year? BTW, my chances of getting an interesting or resume-enhancing job in the meantime seems pretty slim based on my undergraduate degree and current level (read: lack) of work experience.

I know there isn't much of a definite topic question in all that, but some general discussion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all

Merylian

Re: Holding out

Postby Merylian » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:18 pm

Aldo wrote:Recently, growing sentiment on Professor Campos' blog (at least as voiced by a number of his more reputable followers) has been that there is no justifiable reason to attend law school this year. This claim is largely backed by this cycle's unprecedented drop in applicants and the resultant desperate scrambling by law schools to draw in any applicant that will pony up tuition (free iPads anyone?).

Bloggers like Campos have kept their voices raised, pointing out the inevitability of TTT's closing as the well dries out - the first domino in cutting down the total number of ABA-sanctioned law schools, and, perhaps soon, the driving down of ridiculous tuition costs. From this is derived the hope that legal employment oversaturation will begin to be reigned in (though this doesn't touch on the perceived evolution of the law game away from the '160K --> The Good Life' career track that is largely associated with the pre-recession golden days).

Their point is: law schools appear to be on the ropes, and one more year of this desperation could seriously alter the landscape (and besides, these critics point out, delaying for a year or two and getting some real work experience is probably beneficial - law school will always be there).

What does TLS think about all this? I am curious because I happen to be in a somewhat enviable situation as I choose a school to potentially attend this fall. I am a splitter who does not need to worry about taking on debt (thanks to the resources and generosity of loved ones - though my commitment to one day pay them back can't be overlooked in this decision). I've been accepted to a few T14s and been wait listed at pretty much all the rest, including the particular T6 I hope to attend. Based on my underwhelming numbers, I am definitely over-exceeding this cycle. If I can get into this T6, do you think it is worth it to attend, or will the landscape shift even greater in applicants' favor in the upcoming year? BTW, my chances of getting an interesting or resume-enhancing job in the meantime seems pretty slim based on my undergraduate degree and current level (read: lack) of work experience.

I know there isn't much of a definite topic question in all that, but some general discussion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all

As a splitter who's also having a surprisingly pleasant cycle so far, I personally don't plan on passing it up. After all, there's not a guarantee that next year will be even better...just speculation. Is there a higher ranked school you'd like to go to even more than the T6 you were waitlisted at? If so, I could understand wanting to wait for next year, but even then I would only do it if I were planning to try for a higher LSAT. Not going to a really good school because "Next year an even better school might be willing to take my numbers" would just not be a chance I would be comfortable with.

Congrats on your acceptances, btw, and good luck with that waitlist!

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:38 pm

Unsolicited advice: You must reign in your use of the passive voice. You will have to do this soon anyway, so you may as well start now.

As to your question, you will get more useful feedback if you provide more specific info as to stats and schools. Fudge your numbers a little (only a little) if you're concerned about anonymity. You say that you don't have to worry about debt, but you immediately indicate otherwise. If you're committed to paying back your relatives, debt is a significant consideration. Have any T14s offered you scholarships? Which T6 are you waiting on? Do you think you can score higher on the LSAT? How low is your GPA?

I wouldn't count on next year being drastically different from the current cycle, regardless.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:36 pm

we can't really say anything without knowing your numbers

so all i can say for now is GL with chicago's WL

Return to “Law School FAQ”