JD | MBA

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ChasingGoals
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:44 am

JD | MBA

Postby ChasingGoals » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:56 am

Practicality of this I wanted get some input from the law perspective since i've been on banking sites and everyone says no point of the JD. A little info about my self go to T30 school Economics & interested in doing Investment Banking then pursuing a JD/MBA after an analyst role. I would like to become a sports agent possibly, corporate lawyer or restructuring banker. I know the latter two may require a JD but is there much added to my profile adding a JD. I also don't plan on starting until around 27-28 so i won't be done until 31-32. The only schools i'm considering are UPenn Law / Wharton , Yale SOM / Law & Harvard HBS / HLS. My question would it be more advantageous to pursue an MBA or could the JD really open more doors and give me flexibility ?

Awkward
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: JD | MBA

Postby Awkward » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:55 am

rack up a solid 450k in student loans

User avatar
holmesboy
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:05 am

Re: JD | MBA

Postby holmesboy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:42 am

JD for your goals as a corporate lawyer. MBA for your goals in banking (though I think you generally need to be in a top econ or finance program to get serious consideration out of college).

I'm not sure how much a JD/MBA will help you for your circumstances, but I think the programs for which pursuing one makes most sense are Harvard, Stanford, and UPenn.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: JD | MBA

Postby dingbat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:11 am

The easy answer is you don't need either: if you want to be a lawyer, get a JD, if you want to be a banker, get an MBA.
That being said, it doesn't hurt to have both (except for the cost) and the knowledge does help, particularly if you're doing something that straddles the border (e.g. M&A lawyer, restructuring banker)

As someone said, the schools you should look at are Harvard, Penn and Stanford; while Yale is the top law school in the country, their MBA isn't anywhere near as spectacular.

ChasingGoals
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:44 am

Re: JD | MBA

Postby ChasingGoals » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:57 pm

holmesboy wrote:JD for your goals as a corporate lawyer. MBA for your goals in banking (though I think you generally need to be in a top econ or finance program to get serious consideration out of college).

I'm not sure how much a JD/MBA will help you for your circumstances, but I think the programs for which pursuing one makes most sense are Harvard, Stanford, and UPenn.


I'm at a Target all of the top BB banks & boutique banks recruit at my school. Also i've been trying look up do most people only use either degree JD or MBA not both ?

ChasingGoals
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:44 am

Re: JD | MBA

Postby ChasingGoals » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:57 pm

Awkward wrote:rack up a solid 450k in student loans


Tuition Reimbursement That's why i stated i was hoping land an analyst gig or consulting most top firms offer this.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: JD | MBA

Postby dingbat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:01 pm

ChasingGoals wrote:
holmesboy wrote:JD for your goals as a corporate lawyer. MBA for your goals in banking (though I think you generally need to be in a top econ or finance program to get serious consideration out of college).

I'm not sure how much a JD/MBA will help you for your circumstances, but I think the programs for which pursuing one makes most sense are Harvard, Stanford, and UPenn.


I'm at a Target all of the top BB banks & boutique banks recruit at my school. Also i've been trying look up do most people only use either degree JD or MBA not both ?

You can use the dual degree, but you don't need it - kind of. Getting into e.g. M&A is mostly a matter of getting stellar grades at top law schools. From there, after X years, you can, if you want, move on to the financial side.
For e.g. structured finance, top grades out of feeder schools will get you there. Unless you want to lateral into biglaw later, you won't need a JD.
That being said, the knowledge certainly doesn't hurt.

ChasingGoals
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:44 am

Re: JD | MBA

Postby ChasingGoals » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:02 pm

dingbat wrote:The easy answer is you don't need either: if you want to be a lawyer, get a JD, if you want to be a banker, get an MBA.
That being said, it doesn't hurt to have both (except for the cost) and the knowledge does help, particularly if you're doing something that straddles the border (e.g. M&A lawyer, restructuring banker)

As someone said, the schools you should look at are Harvard, Penn and Stanford; while Yale is the top law school in the country, their MBA isn't anywhere near as spectacular.


The reason i was considering Yale was because in my opinion it's the best law school and i would love to be in New Haven. I also feel you would be fine with top Yale Law degree and MBA degree. With that being said another reason i'm attracted to Yale & UPenn is that both programs offer 3-Year combined JD/MBA this will cut down on losing another year of salary. I also feel that's a great deal extra year of studying for another top degree. I was also curious does anyone know if having both degree gets your foot in the door for more upper level associate positions ?

User avatar
holmesboy
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:05 am

Re: JD | MBA

Postby holmesboy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:05 pm

ChasingGoals wrote:
holmesboy wrote:JD for your goals as a corporate lawyer. MBA for your goals in banking (though I think you generally need to be in a top econ or finance program to get serious consideration out of college).

I'm not sure how much a JD/MBA will help you for your circumstances, but I think the programs for which pursuing one makes most sense are Harvard, Stanford, and UPenn.


I'm at a Target all of the top BB banks & boutique banks recruit at my school. Also i've been trying look up do most people only use either degree JD or MBA not both ?



If you run a search for JD/MBA, you'll see that the general consensus is that most people only use one of the two degrees and that pursuing a joint degree program is generally a waste. That said, you might also want to check out this thread (covers some of the advantages of a JD/MBA): viewtopic.php?f=23&t=194938&start=25

ChasingGoals
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:44 am

Re: JD | MBA

Postby ChasingGoals » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:08 pm

dingbat wrote:
ChasingGoals wrote:
holmesboy wrote:JD for your goals as a corporate lawyer. MBA for your goals in banking (though I think you generally need to be in a top econ or finance program to get serious consideration out of college).

I'm not sure how much a JD/MBA will help you for your circumstances, but I think the programs for which pursuing one makes most sense are Harvard, Stanford, and UPenn.


I'm at a Target all of the top BB banks & boutique banks recruit at my school. Also i've been trying look up do most people only use either degree JD or MBA not both ?

You can use the dual degree, but you don't need it - kind of. Getting into e.g. M&A is mostly a matter of getting stellar grades at top law schools. From there, after X years, you can, if you want, move on to the financial side.
For e.g. structured finance, top grades out of feeder schools will get you there. Unless you want to lateral into biglaw later, you won't need a JD.
That being said, the knowledge certainly doesn't hurt.


If i transitioned into Big Law so late wouldn't i be at a disadvantage ?

ChasingGoals
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:44 am

Re: JD | MBA

Postby ChasingGoals » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:09 pm

holmesboy wrote:
ChasingGoals wrote:
holmesboy wrote:JD for your goals as a corporate lawyer. MBA for your goals in banking (though I think you generally need to be in a top econ or finance program to get serious consideration out of college).

I'm not sure how much a JD/MBA will help you for your circumstances, but I think the programs for which pursuing one makes most sense are Harvard, Stanford, and UPenn.


I'm at a Target all of the top BB banks & boutique banks recruit at my school. Also i've been trying look up do most people only use either degree JD or MBA not both ?



If you run a search for JD/MBA, you'll see that the general consensus is that most people only use one of the two degrees and that pursuing a joint degree program is generally a waste. That said, you might also want to check out this thread (covers some of the advantages of a JD/MBA): viewtopic.php?f=23&t=194938&start=25


Okay Thanks !

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: JD | MBA

Postby dingbat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:10 pm

ChasingGoals wrote:
dingbat wrote:The easy answer is you don't need either: if you want to be a lawyer, get a JD, if you want to be a banker, get an MBA.
That being said, it doesn't hurt to have both (except for the cost) and the knowledge does help, particularly if you're doing something that straddles the border (e.g. M&A lawyer, restructuring banker)

As someone said, the schools you should look at are Harvard, Penn and Stanford; while Yale is the top law school in the country, their MBA isn't anywhere near as spectacular.


The reason i was considering Yale was because in my opinion it's the best law school and i would love to be in New Haven. I also feel you would be fine with top Yale Law degree and MBA degree. With that being said another reason i'm attracted to Yale & UPenn is that both programs offer 3-Year combined JD/MBA this will cut down on losing another year of salary. I also feel that's a great deal extra year of studying for another top degree. I was also curious does anyone know if having both degree gets your foot in the door for more upper level associate positions ?

Yale is the best law school and if you get in, you should go. SOM doesn't add any value, with respect to hiring, so it's a bit of a waste of money
At Penn, the bulk of the value is a Wharton MBA, so if you want to start off on the financial route, that's a better option; that being said, Penn's JD is still pretty darn reputable (far more so than a Yale MBA).
The undisputed king for a JD/MBA is Harvard, where both degrees are best in class (just about)

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: JD | MBA

Postby dingbat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:11 pm

ChasingGoals wrote:
dingbat wrote:
ChasingGoals wrote:
holmesboy wrote:JD for your goals as a corporate lawyer. MBA for your goals in banking (though I think you generally need to be in a top econ or finance program to get serious consideration out of college).

I'm not sure how much a JD/MBA will help you for your circumstances, but I think the programs for which pursuing one makes most sense are Harvard, Stanford, and UPenn.


I'm at a Target all of the top BB banks & boutique banks recruit at my school. Also i've been trying look up do most people only use either degree JD or MBA not both ?

You can use the dual degree, but you don't need it - kind of. Getting into e.g. M&A is mostly a matter of getting stellar grades at top law schools. From there, after X years, you can, if you want, move on to the financial side.
For e.g. structured finance, top grades out of feeder schools will get you there. Unless you want to lateral into biglaw later, you won't need a JD.
That being said, the knowledge certainly doesn't hurt.


If i transitioned into Big Law so late wouldn't i be at a disadvantage ?

Not if you transition in as a partner

ChasingGoals
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:44 am

Re: JD | MBA

Postby ChasingGoals » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:19 pm

dingbat wrote:
ChasingGoals wrote:
dingbat wrote:The easy answer is you don't need either: if you want to be a lawyer, get a JD, if you want to be a banker, get an MBA.
That being said, it doesn't hurt to have both (except for the cost) and the knowledge does help, particularly if you're doing something that straddles the border (e.g. M&A lawyer, restructuring banker)

As someone said, the schools you should look at are Harvard, Penn and Stanford; while Yale is the top law school in the country, their MBA isn't anywhere near as spectacular.


The reason i was considering Yale was because in my opinion it's the best law school and i would love to be in New Haven. I also feel you would be fine with top Yale Law degree and MBA degree. With that being said another reason i'm attracted to Yale & UPenn is that both programs offer 3-Year combined JD/MBA this will cut down on losing another year of salary. I also feel that's a great deal extra year of studying for another top degree. I was also curious does anyone know if having both degree gets your foot in the door for more upper level associate positions ?

Yale is the best law school and if you get in, you should go. SOM doesn't add any value, with respect to hiring, so it's a bit of a waste of money
At Penn, the bulk of the value is a Wharton MBA, so if you want to start off on the financial route, that's a better option; that being said, Penn's JD is still pretty darn reputable (far more so than a Yale MBA).
The undisputed king for a JD/MBA is Harvard, where both degrees are best in class (just about)


Yes this is true Harvard is my #1, 2.UPenn 3. Yale / Also may consider UChicago would like to stay in midwest or east coast preferably. Also on point of transitioning to Partner wouldn't that be difficult if i don't have much work experience in law ? that's similar coming in Associate at IBanking without any expeirence they normally start you as a 2nd or 3rd year analyst :( .

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: JD | MBA

Postby dingbat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:24 pm

ChasingGoals wrote:Yes this is true Harvard is my #1, 2.UPenn 3. Yale / Also may consider UChicago would like to stay in midwest or east coast preferably. Also on point of transitioning to Partner wouldn't that be difficult if i don't have much work experience in law ? that's similar coming in Associate at IBanking without any expeirence they normally start you as a 2nd or 3rd year analyst :( .

If you can bring in clients, you can come in as partner, it's that simple.
Same with being an MD in banking

ChasingGoals
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:44 am

Re: JD | MBA

Postby ChasingGoals » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:16 pm

dingbat wrote:
ChasingGoals wrote:Yes this is true Harvard is my #1, 2.UPenn 3. Yale / Also may consider UChicago would like to stay in midwest or east coast preferably. Also on point of transitioning to Partner wouldn't that be difficult if i don't have much work experience in law ? that's similar coming in Associate at IBanking without any expeirence they normally start you as a 2nd or 3rd year analyst :( .

If you can bring in clients, you can come in as partner, it's that simple.
Same with being an MD in banking


Okay :idea:

User avatar
PBateman1
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:57 pm

Re: JD | MBA

Postby PBateman1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:03 pm

Of course this is a totally anecdotal example, but the MD I worked for this past summer lateraled to the position from in-house counsel and had a JD/MBA. So theres one success story.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests