Should I even apply to law school with these stats?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
marievanpelt

Should I even apply to law school with these stats?

Postby marievanpelt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:11 pm

Alright, when I began undergrad, I didnt have the mind-set that I would someday go on to law school. I wish I would've because it would spare so much later regret, but I suffered a stroke when I was 21 years of age and have multiple semesters of excessive course withdrawals and several negative grades. I have a 3 semester upward trend since that period of time with no course withdrawals, and from calculating what my LSAC gpa would be, comes out to a 2.58 gpa.

I have taken the LSAT and scored a 169.

Its not the grades so much that concerns me, its the large number of course withdrawals from several semesters because there was a period of time when i just couldnt do well in school due to suffering a stroke and I have come along way from age 21 to 24.

With a 2.58 gpa (not from being lazy), a 169 LSAT, and several semesters of course withdrawals (which dont effect gpa)

Is it possible I could accepted to a top 50 law school? I dont think I can do any better on the LSAT, nor do much about the gpa, nor do anything about all the W's...which is going to look awful. I cringe when I see the transcript with all the W's.

oldschool123

Re: Should I even apply to law school with these stats?

Postby oldschool123 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:18 pm

marievanpelt wrote: I dont think I can do any better on the LSAT,.

Still could be worth taking it again in June to see if you could bump it up over 170.

But even if you didn't opt for that, you still have a good score. It'd be worth applying simply because if you don't then you'd never know one way or the other whether schools would have accepted you (stating the obvious, i know, but still). You have a very, very legit reason as to why all those W's exist on your transcript...it still could be tough with that gpa, but again, I'm sure you have a pretty compelling story that would make for one hell of a PS.

It's also worth really heavily considering whether law school is even the right option for you, which is something that doesn't just apply to you but to everyone considering law school these days

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:20 pm

http://www.mylsn.info/znxsg5

To answer your question-- yes, the scarce amount of data off of mylsn seem to suggest that people with your numbers have been successful at entering T1 schools in the past. Where are you thinking of practicing? What type of law do you want to practice? Even if you get into a T1 school, it may be very risky to attend at sticker.

Someone else will have to speak more specifically about the withdrawals, but it is my understanding that schools care most about GPA and LSAT. I would think that if they will accept you with that GPA, they will also look past the Ws. High LSATs are very valuable now, and for schools with no GPA floor, I don't see how a 2.6 would be any more detrimental than a below-median 3.x.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:24 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:49 pm

Go back to your undergrad and fight tooth and nail to let you retroactively withdraw from GPA-killing classes. Even if you can get up to a 3.0, you have a significantly better chance. And with a 169, it sounds like you're almost in 170+ territory, which will get you into UVA ED if nothing else.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:48 pm

Study harder for the LSAT, man. You can do it. And do W's count on your LSAC GPA? If not, fight your UG to give you medical withdrawal on classes you took that you did poorly in due to the stroke. Have the W entire semesters if you really want it. Or if it counts in your LSAC GPA, try to get the grades removed from your transcript. Schools usually have a way of doing this though it's difficult.

You have a legit medical excuse. You'll get in somewhere and if you can break 170, you have a shot at the T14.

kfischm1

Postby kfischm1 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:29 pm

If you really want to go to law school, I say definitely apply. In your situation I feel an addendum (at the least) or personal statement detailing the situation would make a world of difference. Your reason for the low GPA is a legit reason, and I think admissions would be a lot more willing to look past your low GPA than someone who writes about having a low GPA because they started undergrad in the wrong major/had trouble adjusting to life away from home/broke up with a boyfriend/had a pet die/other reason they may or may not be total BS that they see on every other app.

Also, I'd say definitely apply early in the cycle - as in September - when schools haven't already made so many offers and aren't as concerned with making sure the next admit is in line with their medians.

I think you still have a shot at T-14.

marievanpelt

Postby marievanpelt » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:46 pm

thanks everyone for all the helpful information. I was suprised that there could even be a shot at Top 14 or Tier 1. If you have a good reason for an abysmal gpa (i.e. health concerns), admission committees do take that seriously if you have a rather high LSAT? Everything everyone said was very beneficial, I guess I just thought they were all about the numbers and would take lightly the personal statement regarding the circumstances of gpa. Thanks for all the help

Return to “Law School FAQ”