Harvard v. Columbia

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
spyke123

Re: Harvard v. Columbia

Postby spyke123 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:49 am

vzapana wrote:
banjo wrote:Is H in a different league at the undergrad level too? I feel like I didn't really pay attention to this stuff as much when I was 18.

yeah - excluding military schools and stuff like that, HYPM are the undisputed cream of the crop. Columbia and Chicago are the next tier down. S is somewhere in the middle of those two tiers, and depending on the person, S will be considered peers of HYPM or CC.

hm i think chicago ug peers are more like northwestern/duke/brown/cornell etc.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:52 am

spyke123 wrote:
vzapana wrote:
banjo wrote:Is H in a different league at the undergrad level too? I feel like I didn't really pay attention to this stuff as much when I was 18.

yeah - excluding military schools and stuff like that, HYPM are the undisputed cream of the crop. Columbia and Chicago are the next tier down. S is somewhere in the middle of those two tiers, and depending on the person, S will be considered peers of HYPM or CC.

hm i think chicago ug peers are more like northwestern/duke/brown/cornell etc.

Duke maybe. NU and Brown are lower (like 10-15 range schools) w/ schools like Dartmouth, Cal Tech, WUSTL, etc. Cornell is the ivy league caboose and doesn't belong with any of these imo; it's more like Vandy/Rice kinda level.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:06 am

vzapana wrote:

Excuse my ignorance but what is the M? It can't be Michigone

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:07 am

ChampagnePapi wrote:
vzapana wrote:

Excuse my ignorance but what is the M? It can't be Michigone

MIT

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:09 am

Last edited by BelugaWhale on Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

battlerifle13

Postby battlerifle13 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:53 pm

UG:

HYPSM

Columbia/Penn/Duke/Chicago/Cal Tech/Dartmouth

Rest

rcthebigred1

Postby rcthebigred1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:24 am

Last edited by rcthebigred1 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:35 pm

vzapana wrote:

Mainly just curious, but why were military schools spelled out in this discussion?

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:38 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:
vzapana wrote:

Mainly just curious, but why were military schools spelled out in this discussion?

for one thing, military schools arent usually ranked in accordance with civilian schools so its hard to tell....i remember sometime someone did rank them with liberal arts schools and all the academies ended up in the top 10, with annapolis being in the same range as amherst if i recall.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:40 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:
vzapana wrote:

for one thing, military schools arent usually ranked in accordance with civilian schools so its hard to tell....i remember sometime someone did rank them with liberal arts schools and all the academies ended up in the top 10, with annapolis being in the same range as amherst if i recall.

USNews has actually ranked them along with liberal arts schools and they have done fairly well, I just thought it a bit strange that it was being mentioned in a discussion with HYP.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:47 pm

Last edited by BelugaWhale on Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grapefruits

Postby grapefruits » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:28 pm

Where are people getting these undergrad rankings from? If you go by usnwr it's Princeton, Yale, Harvard, Chicago/Columbia, MIT, Stanford, Duke. Or pretty close to
It.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:30 pm

grapefruits wrote:Where are people getting these undergrad rankings from? If you go by usnwr it's Princeton, Yale, Harvard, Chicago/Columbia, MIT, Stanford, Duke. Or pretty close to
It.

Just reputation I guess. I pointed this out a while ago and people were super pissed that anybody would think S was below CC or even a peer.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:43 pm

Crowing wrote:
grapefruits wrote:Where are people getting these undergrad rankings from? If you go by usnwr it's Princeton, Yale, Harvard, Chicago/Columbia, MIT, Stanford, Duke. Or pretty close to
It.

Just reputation I guess. I pointed this out a while ago and people were super pissed that anybody would think S was below CC or even a peer.

At the end of the day, I'd say UG rankings mean much less than the crazy weight given to LS.

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:49 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:

USNews has actually ranked them along with liberal arts schools and they have done fairly well, I just thought it a bit strange that it was being mentioned in a discussion with HYP.[/quote]

The schools rely on a more comprehensive curriculum to create battle-ready soldiers. In many ways they learn significantly more than people at ivies/Mit/Stanford. But the range of academic talent among the student body is much greater at military academies then at the IMS; so some military students may not be as stellar in academics as the average Ivy League student. So we're kinda comparing apples and oranges. I certainly would not think a top student at Harvard or Princeton is in any way better than a top student at West Point or USNA.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:51 pm

vzapana wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:

USNews has actually ranked them along with liberal arts schools and they have done fairly well, I just thought it a bit strange that it was being mentioned in a discussion with HYP.

The schools rely on a more comprehensive curriculum to create battle-ready soldiers. In many ways they learn significantly more than people at ivies/Mit/Stanford. But the range of academic talent among the student body is much greater at military academies then at the IMS; so some military students may not be as stellar in academics as the average Ivy League student. So we're kinda comparing apples and oranges. I certainly would not think a top student at Harvard or Princeton is in any way better than a top student at West Point or USNA.[/quote]

Absolutely agreed, having gone to both of them.

Return to “Law School FAQ”