Front page NY times: massive app drop; schools in trouble;

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
BlaqBella

Re: Front page NY times: massive app drop; schools in trouble;

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:28 am

InGoodFaith wrote:So UCI is fine, in the already ridiculously over saturated Cali market, but everything outside of the top 50 schools needs to be closed down? lolok

I said T100, not top 50. RC Fail.

As for UCI, it has yet to be ranked so we aren't too sure where it will fall (though I am confident it will fall in the T30). Treating it as a TTT is shortsighted.

Bye bye. :arrow:

Postby 20130312 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:30 am

You said T1, which in TLS lexicon implies the top 50. Regardless, you're either a retard or the worst troll.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:36 am

BlaqBella wrote:
dingbat wrote:Such a simplistic attitude. There are untangled schools that are more deserving of existing than some T1s ranked in the 40s.

More deserving? LOL.

Who cares if one is more deserving than the other to be ranked in a T1! Fact of the matter is legal employers hire on the basis of ranking. Corporate elitism FTW. If you do not have what it takes to be in a T1 despite, perhaps, "being deserving of" such, you need to be shut down.

No, they don't. Employers don't give a shit about ranking. They hire based on reputation, location, past experience and alumni networks, which is why university of South Dakota (unranked) is more deserving of remaining open than, say, American (ranked 48)

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:36 am

InGoodFaith wrote:You said T1, which in TLS lexicon implies the top 50. Regardless, you're either a retard or the worst troll.

A retard for what? Because I am not too quick to categorize a school that has yet to be ranked??

LOL. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Whatever you say, boo boo.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:37 am

InGoodFaith wrote:You said T1, which in TLS lexicon implies the top 50. Regardless, you're either a retard or the worst troll.

IGF, meet BlaqBella

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:37 am

dingbat wrote:Employers don't give a shit about ranking.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not worth entertaining this banter any further.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:38 am

dingbat wrote:

IGF, meet BlaqBella

Thank you kindly for the intro. :mrgreen:

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:42 am

dingbat wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:
dingbat wrote:Such a simplistic attitude. There are untangled schools that are more deserving of existing than some T1s ranked in the 40s.

More deserving? LOL.

Who cares if one is more deserving than the other to be ranked in a T1! Fact of the matter is legal employers hire on the basis of ranking. Corporate elitism FTW. If you do not have what it takes to be in a T1 despite, perhaps, "being deserving of" such, you need to be shut down.

No, they don't. Employers don't give a shit about ranking. They hire based on reputation, location, past experience and alumni networks, which is why university of South Dakota (unranked) is more deserving of remaining open than, say, American (ranked 48)

+1. Same could be said, I assume, for other law schools that are tops in their market but are low or unranked.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:44 am

BlaqBella wrote:

Do you honestly think employers pay attention to rankings?
They know Harvard is a great school, or that NYU is better than Fordham, is better than Brooklyn and that Touro is a joke. They don't whip out a copy of the rankings, though. They know it as well as most people know that France is a step up from Albania, which is better than Somalia.

Postby 20130312 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:49 am

dingbat wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:

They know Harvard is a great school, or that NYU is better than Fordham, is better than Brooklyn and that Touro is a joke. They don't whip out a copy of the rankings, though. They know it as well as most people know that France is a step up from Albania, which is better than Somalia.

Don't be ridiculous. A big New York firm would much rather hire an ASU grad than a Brooklyn grad because of their preftigious USNWR ranking.

Poo-T

Postby Poo-T » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:49 am

dingbat wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:

Get a load of this guy! he doesn't even know that France is #38 on the country power rankings! LOL

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:49 am

dingbat wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:

For most BIGLAW firms, they pay attention to rankings. FOR THE MOST PART, Rankings is a reflection of reputation and reputation a reflection of rankings. That is a FACT.

If employers did not care about rankings then why are the likes of TLS, Above the Law, and other LS/legal blogs/forums advocating against going to a TTT or TTTT?

I can't believe this is even up for discussion. Majority of TLS members are gunning for T14 for a reason.

Dude, whatev. :arrow:

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:50 am

Poo-T wrote:
dingbat wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:

Get a load of this guy! he doesn't even know that France is #38 on the country power rankings! LOL

G8, dude. Beats G20 any day

h_jane_w

Postby h_jane_w » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:54 am

bump. great article. just read it in the real Times.

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:56 am

I'm not going to defend unranked schools, but it seems to me the biggest problem is not the number of schools but how gigantic the schools are.
To illustrate my point: the University of New Mexico feeds a small market and has about 112 people/class. Tied with UNM in USWNR is Miami, with roughly 4 times the students and roughly 4 times the cost to attend. The Miami job market is obviously much bigger, but you also have much more competition. Would you rather try to wrangle up 112 jobs or 400+ jobs?

curious66

Postby curious66 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:02 am

h_jane_w wrote:bump. great article. just read it in the real Times.

Article mentions that 4 schools saw application increases this year? I think Duke is one of them -- any clue on the other 3? I wish they would state the details!

you'rethemannowdawg

Postby you'rethemannowdawg » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:19 am

curious66 wrote:
h_jane_w wrote:bump. great article. just read it in the real Times.

Article mentions that 4 schools saw application increases this year? I think Duke is one of them -- any clue on the other 3? I wish they would state the details!

I wondered the same thing. It will be interesting to see how T14 enrollment is affected compared to lower tier schools. Are people who plan to go to law school in spite of the bad news for the profession simply applying to T14s instead of the state schools they would have applied to if the outlook were different?

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:23 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:"There's never been a better time to apply!"

"Buyers market"

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:24 am

you'rethemannowdawg wrote:Are people who plan to go to law school in spite of the bad news for the profession simply applying to T14s instead of the state schools they would have applied to if the outlook were different?

I'm applying to T14s and some safeties for monetary bargaining purposes. However, I intend to enroll in a Top 7.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:25 am

Awesome newz is awesome

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:25 am

BlaqBella wrote:
you'rethemannowdawg wrote:Are people who plan to go to law school in spite of the bad news for the profession simply applying to T14s instead of the state schools they would have applied to if the outlook were different?

I'm applying to T14s and some safeties for monetary bargaining purposes. However, I intend to enroll in a Top 7.

A T777?

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:29 am

Br3v wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:

A T777?

Meaning, I would ideally prefer not to attend anything outside of T7 (as it stands today, the lowest I am willing to attend is UC-Berkeley, but not at sticker).

Only stickers I will pay is for Harvard or Stanford.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:29 am

Br3v wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:

A T777?

No dude, it's T77, everyone knows the correct tiers are HYSCC NP VB M DNCG

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:30 am

Any school outside the T50 that isn't it's states only school (Montana, North Dakota, etc.) should either go the CUNY route (very low tuition, designed to produce public interest lawyers) or close its doors. There is no place for T2/3/4 schools charging $50K a year for some big law pipe dream.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:34 am

JamesDean1955 wrote:
Br3v wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:

A T777?

No dude, it's T77, everyone knows the correct tiers are HYSCC NP VB M DNCG

Penn is more reputable than Berkeley? Really?

Return to “Law School FAQ”