Front page NY times: massive app drop; schools in trouble; Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Drake014

Silver

Re: Front page NY times: massive app drop; schools in trouble;

Post by Drake014 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:16 pm

Br3v wrote:
Research is faster and easier, requiring fewer lawyers, and is being outsourced to less expensive locales, including West Virginia and overseas.
Is West Virginia now on par with cheap foreign labor?

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:28 pm

Drake014 wrote:
Br3v wrote:
Research is faster and easier, requiring fewer lawyers, and is being outsourced to less expensive locales, including West Virginia and overseas.
Technology can't litigate. I don't think that technology is the main problem.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:30 pm

North wrote:
BlaqBella wrote: For most BIGLAW firms, they pay attention to rankings. FOR THE MOST PART, Rankings is a reflection of reputation and reputation a reflection of rankings. That is a FACT
Nope. Reputation among legal employers constitutes only 15% of a school's USNWR ranking.
Uhm, wrong evidence. You want to know what LAW FIRM recruiters think, not what % of a measure accounted for a ranking.

More applicable:

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/03/the-best ... ecruiters/

Keep dancing around the issue. Firms ARE prestige whores. Even you yourself indicate TLS saved from from a TTTT. Why didn't you go to a TTTT instead of UVA? LOLOL.

Contadictions FTW!

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:31 pm

Miracle wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
Br3v wrote:
Technology can't litigate. I don't think that technology is the main problem.
From what I understand .. it's not much .. is that things like "discovery" are being outsourced to firms specializing in it, or apparently W. Virginia. This work is what first years used to do for quite a bit of time. Now that it's being sent away, there is less need for attorneys in big firms. Yes, litigation remains done by the lawyers, but a lot of grunt work that used to pay 160k no longer does.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:32 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
North wrote:
BlaqBella wrote: For most BIGLAW firms, they pay attention to rankings. FOR THE MOST PART, Rankings is a reflection of reputation and reputation a reflection of rankings. That is a FACT
Nope. Reputation among legal employers constitutes only 15% of a school's USNWR ranking.
Uhm, wrong evidence. You want to know what LAW FIRM recruiters think, not what % of a measure accounted for a ranking.

More applicable:

Keep dancing around the issue. Firms ARE prestige whores. Even you yourself indicate TLS saved from from a TTTT. Why didn't you go to a TTTT instead of UVA? LOLOL.

Contadictions FTW!
They like prestige, but that doesn't mean they care about the USNWR.

HTH

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:32 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
North wrote:

More applicable:

Contadictions FTW!
i was mean nvm
Last edited by toothbrush on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:32 pm

Biglaw can be prestige whores and not pay attention to the rankings at the same time since the schools they give two shits about have been ranked roughly the same for decades.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:33 pm

toothbrush wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:
North wrote:

More applicable:

Contadictions FTW!
You're the reason that I i think affirmative action should no longer exist.
Right, because I would never have been considered for some schools on my credentials/# alone.

Gotta love the stereotypes!

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:33 pm

IBbanhammer

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:34 pm

Drake014 wrote: Is West Virginia now on par with cheap foreign labor?
West Virginia has been stepping it up. They're now qualitatively above rural Africa, but not yet up to suburban India

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:35 pm

rad lulz wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:
North wrote:

More applicable:

Contadictions FTW!
They like prestige, but that doesn't mean they care about the USNWR.

HTH
Then how exactly are schools measured to each other? What do you think recruiters rely on to measure/compare schools?

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:36 pm

[quote="BlaqBella] You're the reason that I i think affirmative action should no longer exist.[/quote]

Right, because I would never have been considered for some schools on my credentials/# alone.

Gotta love the stereotypes![/quote]
I'm just kidding don't be sensitive now.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:40 pm

Then how exactly are schools measured to each other? What do you think recruiters rely on to measure/compare schools?[/quote]

Recruiters probably rely on the fact that they've been awake for decades.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:41 pm

BlaqBella wrote: Then how exactly are schools measured to each other? What do you think recruiters rely on to measure/compare schools?
They compare how many acres each campus is and then choose accordingly. Considering CLS has NYC as a campus that's why it has the most big law placemebt,

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:43 pm

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? That is the central debate going on here.

Firms may not exclusively rely on USNews to hire but by and large, USNews rankings reflects reputation and reflects the thoughts of firm recruiters. The only exception to this are regional schools, but USNews remains the best measure of laws schools as compared to other law schools.

Hell, pre-law students rely on USNews to decide where to attend. Last year alone, folks ditched an acceptance to Harvard because it bumped down and Stanford bumped up. It cames with the territory.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:44 pm

BlaqBella wrote:Which came first, the chicken or the egg? That is the central debate going on here.

Firms may not exclusively rely on USNews to hire but by and large, USNews rankings reflects reputation and reflects the thoughts of firm recruiters. The only exception to this are regional schools, but USNews remains the best measure of laws schools as compared to other law schools.

Hell, pre-law students rely on USNews to decide where to attend. Last year alone, folks ditched an acceptance to Harvard because it bumped down and Stanford bumped up. It cames with the territory.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:45 pm

rad lulz wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:Which came first, the chicken or the egg? That is the central debate going on here.

Don't just blackline. EXPLAIN.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:46 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

He did...

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:46 pm

Oh yeah, and answer my question. Mr. Lulz.

How do law recruiters measure/compare schools to each other?

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:46 pm

BlaqBella wrote:Then how exactly are schools measured to each other? What do you think recruiters rely on to measure/compare schools?
Look, the problem is with your blanket statement that every school outside the T2 should be shut down. That's stupid. If you think that schools like the University of Montana and the University of Hawaii should be shut down, but American University should remain open because EMPLOYERS LIKE RANKINGS, then you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.
BlaqBella wrote:Even you yourself indicate TLS saved from from a TTTT. Why didn't you go to a TTTT instead of UVA? LOLOL.

Contadictions FTW!
:roll:

Because my TTTT's are in Florida.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:47 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

BlaqBella wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not worth entertaining this banter any further.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:49 pm

rad lulz wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Lovely. So you have no counter to my stance, which, by the way, was supported by an actual firm recruiter I just spoke to about this. Clearly, she is misinformed. LOL.

Anyway, enjoy. :)

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:50 pm

rad lulz wrote:

lulz

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:50 pm

BlaqBella wrote:Lovely. So you have no counter to my stance, which, by the way, was supported by an actual firm recruiter I just spoke to about this. Clearly, she is misinformed. LOL.

Anyway, enjoy. :)

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:51 pm

North wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:Then how exactly are schools measured to each other? What do you think recruiters rely on to measure/compare schools?
Look, the problem is with your blanket statement that every school outside the T2 should be shut down. That's stupid. If you think that schools like the University of Montana and the University of Hawaii should be shut down, but American University should remain open because EMPLOYERS LIKE RANKINGS, then you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.
I said FOR THE MOST PART. Goodness gracious!
North wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:Even you yourself indicate TLS saved from from a TTTT. Why didn't you go to a TTTT instead of UVA? LOLOL.

Contadictions FTW!
:roll:

Because my TTTT's are in Florida.
Oh bummer. Doesn't change the fact that you were "saved", does it?

Save be the bell! Enjoy UVA.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”