Waiting another year for Harvard?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
expelliarmus

Waiting another year for Harvard?

Postby expelliarmus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:51 am

I am currently a junior at a Top10 University, and my GPA will most likely be around the 3.77-3.79 range if I apply by the end of junior year/start of senior year, and my softs will not be stellar other than the standard undergrad stuff.

However, if I apply by the end of senior year, presumably I can keep my grades up, then my cumulative GPA will be in the 3.82-3.86 range. I am considering spending the year working abroad in India - where I did one of my summer internships.

I took the LSAT earlier in Oct. 2012. From what I have seen on TLS, it seems 3.77 and 178 is sufficient to get me into one of CCN. However, if I wait another year, and apply with a higher GPA, then I might be able to get Harvard (though not a lock) with 3.8X and 178.

So it comes down to the difference between CLS and HLS - if I want to do BigLaw (with international offices in Asia), is it worth the wait? Thanks for your opinions in advance.

Typhoon24

Re: Waiting another year for Harvard?

Postby Typhoon24 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:58 am

Definitely take a year off and go to india. get some international work experience, visit a country with a rich history and culture, and get your GPA up. 3 birds with one stone.

*Edit, sorry, didn't see you already took the lsat.

expelliarmus

Postby expelliarmus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:03 am

Typhoon24 wrote:Definitely take a year off and go to india. get some international work experience, visit a country with a rich history and culture, and get your GPA up. 3 birds with one stone.

PS: a 178+ isn't easy to get by any means and i wish you the best.

I am also leaning towards going myself, but I really know very little in terms of employment opportunities and the differences between Harvard and Columbia.
The only thing that concerns me is that I am living on my parents right now through undergrad (no financial aid from school), so I want to gain economic independence ASAP. And going to India for a year, though enticing, will possibly delay that.

I have already taken the LSAT, so I don't need to study for the LSAT any more - it comes down to a matter of whether I want to take time off. Or for my goals, is it better to take time off?

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:18 am

I'm taking a year off now. Brought my GPA up from a .79 to a .84 my senior year. I am very satisfied with my decision. There will be plenty of time to be a grownup and be financially independent. Go to frickin India and enjoy your year.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:23 pm

I understand the desire for financial independence, but as someone who has had to pay her way through UG by herself (and thus can't take a year off because loans will come due), it's overrated :/
The lay prestige of Harvard's name seems to resonate with international hiring per TLS conventional wisdom. If you wanted NYC, I'd say it would be a tossup, but because you want to work internationally, I think it would be worth it to take the year off.
Worst case scenario: you don't get Harvard but give yourself a better position to land money from CCN.

Congrats on an awesome LSAT score and for thinking so far ahead. Good luck.

expelliarmus

Postby expelliarmus » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:49 pm

sabanist wrote:I understand the desire for financial independence, but as someone who has had to pay her way through UG by herself (and thus can't take a year off because loans will come due), it's overrated :/
The lay prestige of Harvard's name seems to resonate with international hiring per TLS conventional wisdom. If you wanted NYC, I'd say it would be a tossup, but because you want to work internationally, I think it would be worth it to take the year off.
Worst case scenario: you don't get Harvard but give yourself a better position to land money from CCN.

Congrats on an awesome LSAT score and for thinking so far ahead. Good luck.

I think there is the possibility of waiting another year and not get HYS - which I am okay with. It is the experience that matters, not the prestige. After all, they are all good schools.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:54 pm

Take a semester or two off and load up on classes at a community college that gives A+s.

Bam, into HLS.

expelliarmus

Postby expelliarmus » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:44 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Take a semester or two off and load up on classes at a community college that gives A+s.

Bam, into HLS.

Yep. I don't think that's realistic, since I am an international student on F-1 visa. So if I am not attending my current college, then I have to be back in my home country.

BearState

Postby BearState » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:39 pm

expelliarmus wrote:
Typhoon24 wrote:Definitely take a year off and go to india. get some international work experience, visit a country with a rich history and culture, and get your GPA up. 3 birds with one stone.

PS: a 178+ isn't easy to get by any means and i wish you the best.

I am also leaning towards going myself, but I really know very little in terms of employment opportunities and the differences between Harvard and Columbia.
The only thing that concerns me is that I am living on my parents right now through undergrad (no financial aid from school), so I want to gain economic independence ASAP. And going to India for a year, though enticing, will possibly delay that.

I have already taken the LSAT, so I don't need to study for the LSAT any more - it comes down to a matter of whether I want to take time off. Or for my goals, is it better to take time off?

They are significantly different. Boosting your GPA and having a year of work experience will definitely increase your chances. It is a win-win.

Return to “Law School FAQ”