Dear God Help Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lutcf2021

New

Re: Dear God Help

Post by lutcf2021 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:10 am

LexLeon wrote:What if the lad received a full scholarship, or wants to practice in the area right near Cooley?

The top 1% at Cooley, I'd imagine, probably does rather well for themselves.

I'm not seeing the decision as irreconcilable career hara-kiri, as many seem to think that it is. Can anyone give substantial reasons as to why he or she believes, on the basis of the given information, that it is?

For the record, a statistic that states "Cooley: 30% employment rate!", even if true, won't clear anything up.
The lad did NOT get a full scholasrhip. Hell Cooley doesn't even offer full scholarships.
--LinkRemoved--

They FORCE you to pay. Even with a 165 or higher on the LSAT, you only get 75% off tuition. The school is just trying to pump money out of people. (Unless you are from the state, then you would get an extra 10 percent off). But based off the type of student that applies there, maybe two or three kids have those type of numbers. More likely, 1.

The more i research this place, the more it sickens me.

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:22 am

I don't understand why the FTA can't make them put disclaimers. They know they're targeting a vulnerable demographic, and they know job prospects will be material to anyone. By showing videos of lawyers they're creating an expectation Cooley will take me there. Then they work hard, and the personable ones with top ten percent grades have a reasonable expectation to get hired. I don't get why they don't sue.

lutcf2021

New

Post by lutcf2021 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:25 am

uvabro wrote:I don't understand why the FTA can't make them put disclaimers. They know they're targeting a vulnerable demographic, and they know job prospects will be material to anyone. By showing videos of lawyers they're creating an expectation Cooley will take me there. Then they work hard, and the personable ones with top ten percent grades have a reasonable expectation to get hired. I don't get why they don't sue.

FTA??

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:26 am

Did you decide whether or not you are going to tell this person the bad news?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:29 am

lutcf2021 wrote:
uvabro wrote:I don't understand why the FTA can't make them put disclaimers. They know they're targeting a vulnerable demographic, and they know job prospects will be material to anyone. By showing videos of lawyers they're creating an expectation Cooley will take me there. Then they work hard, and the personable ones with top ten percent grades have a reasonable expectation to get hired. I don't get why they don't sue.

FTA??
It's a 17 minute walk from Cooleys to the Oakland County Community Mental Health Authority; they don't need to take public transportation

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:30 am

you should all have to stand up and give a self-criticism.

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:04 am

stillwater wrote:
LexLeon wrote:
mg7 wrote:I'm sure this has probably been discussed elsewhere, but this is just so.. wrong:

http://www.cooley.edu/news/2011/020411_ ... hools.html

TL;DR Cooley ranks itself 2nd best law school in the nation, next to Harvard of course..
Well, why don't you tell us why it's wrong?
are you consistently the dumbest poster on TLS?
LexLeon apparently has a shitboomer-like understanding of statistics.

ksllaw

Bronze

Post by ksllaw » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:38 am

Icculus wrote:
eyfl wrote: Most likely the socio-ecomonic group that person is from (and that person himself) is not aware of the LS situation in the nation. Doesn't mean that person deserves what's coming.. If I were to post such status on my fb I'd probably get similar comments, although fewer likes (don't have many friends, :roll: )
When I was getting ready to apply to law school it took me about 5 seconds of googling to find this website and get the info I needed to make a proper decision. That kid has facebook, so he has an internet connection, so he has google. Therefore, if he can't be bothered to do the slightest amount of research he deserves what is coming. If he has deluded himself into thinking he is a special snowflake, he deserves it. It has nothing to do with socio-economic groupings but rather the common sense idea that if you are about to commit three years and tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars you should do some research.
I think there is genuinely still a disconnect between the law school and legal economy reality and what kids and their parents have been told and viewed about law for decades. It's getting better, but as someone who was one of the uninformed until just last year, I can relate to that situation and ignorance.

Prior to mainstream reputable news sources, such as the NYTs (Segal in 2011), doing pieces on the law school transparency problem, many people probably dismissed the online critiques from personal blogs and forums as just most likely the voice of the disgruntled few who did not do so well in law school. It can be difficult to know who to trust when dealing with anonymous online posts. And when those claims stand so radically far apart from what one has been told and perceived all their life, then it may be natural to just think of them as outlandish claims.

Even in my TestMasters course there were some students who I thought were genuinely and grossly uninformed about the law school and legal economy reality. Yet, one would probably expect that a group of TM students would be more likely to be a self-selecting bunch of high-achieving, knowledgeable, and well-informed students. It's not necessarily the case, unfortunately.

I think a compassionate and patient stance ought to be adopted towards people like OP's friend. It may seem like an open secret to many on TLS or in the know about the law school and lawyer crisis, but to those who are on the outside it can be a jolting reality that they need time to hear more and learn about, before finally being able to accept (and it may even take a good deal of time to even think of as plausible).

My plea would be to do what you can to help this friend, while being patient and understanding. Even if the person does not come to accept your point in the end, at least you will have the peace of mind to know that you did what was right and that you tried your best. I know it took me several months before really getting a true picture of what the whole law school and legal economy crisis was all about (anyone can search my past posts from start to end of when I first registered and became a member of TLS last year). It can be a process.

But I can tell people from the bottom of my heart that I am truly thankful for every comment and every bit of time people took to help inform me of the truth. So be brave and do not give up! And never let cynicism rob you of the good-natured spirit and impulse to do what is right and caring! Even in 2013, much work still needs to be done.

hume85

Silver

Post by hume85 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:14 am

dingbat wrote:
lutcf2021 wrote:

FTA??
It's a 17 minute walk from Cooleys to the Oakland County Community Mental Health Authority; they don't need to take public transportation
I think he meant the FDA, bro.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:31 am

stillwater wrote:you should all have to stand up and give a self-criticism.
I probably should have retaken :oops:

hume85

Silver

Post by hume85 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:32 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
+1

Scrambles84

New

Post by Scrambles84 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:04 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:
lutcf2021 wrote:I woke up this morning and found THIS in my fb newsfeed:

"Well the cat is sticking its head out of the bag. Guess it's time to tell everyone! Last week it was only a dream, but now it's a reality! I (name) have been OFFICIALLY ACCEPTED TO LAW SCHOOL! The Thomas M. Cooley Law School!!"

It has over 50 likes.

How do I break it to this guy that he is making the worst mistake EVER.

(This is not a flame.) I feel like it would be rude to crap on his dream, but at the same time. The consensus is that this place is essentially the University of Phoenix.
Send him that transparency website that shows Cooley's price & employment stats, that's what I did with my friend, it helped
Do this, you have a moral obligation to do it and sink the Cooley debt bubble. Yeah, you'll hurt his feelings and he probably won't be your friend anymore, but if you can even make one dent in the Cooley shithole you'll have done God's work.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:06 pm

hume85 wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
+1
+2. Really dropped the ball on that one.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:16 pm

OP - did he get in anywhere else? Does he have an okay score but is just misguided? If so, you should definitely steer him towards his other options.

lutcf2021

New

Post by lutcf2021 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:00 am

Scrambles84 wrote:
Teflon_Don wrote:

"Well the cat is sticking its head out of the bag. Guess it's time to tell everyone! Last week it was only a dream, but now it's a reality! I (name) have been OFFICIALLY ACCEPTED TO LAW SCHOOL! The Thomas M. Cooley Law School!!"

It has over 50 likes.

(This is not a flame.) I feel like it would be rude to crap on his dream, but at the same time. The consensus is that this place is essentially the University of Phoenix.
Send him that transparency website that shows Cooley's price & employment stats, that's what I did with my friend, it helped
Do this, you have a moral obligation to do it and sink the Cooley debt bubble. Yeah, you'll hurt his feelings and he probably won't be your friend anymore, but if you can even make one dent in the Cooley shithole you'll have done God's work.

It seems the price of God's work was the cold shoulder and perhaps a friendship. I think feelings were definitely hurt.

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:23 am

lutcf2021 wrote:
Scrambles84 wrote:
Teflon_Don wrote:

It has over 50 likes.

It seems the price of God's work was the cold shoulder and perhaps a friendship. I think feelings were definitely hurt.
Aren't you going to say how you broke the news?

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:27 am

What about Harvard? Is that a good school?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:03 am

lutcf2021 wrote:
LexLeon wrote:What if the lad received a full scholarship, or wants to practice in the area right near Cooley?

I'm not seeing the decision as irreconcilable career hara-kiri, as many seem to think that it is. Can anyone give substantial reasons as to why he or she believes, on the basis of the given information, that it is?

For the record, a statistic that states "Cooley: 30% employment rate!", even if true, won't clear anything up.
The lad did NOT get a full scholasrhip. Hell Cooley doesn't even offer full scholarships.
--LinkRemoved--

They FORCE you to pay. Even with a 165 or higher on the LSAT, you only get 75% off tuition. The school is just trying to pump money out of people. (Unless you are from the state, then you would get an extra 10 percent off). But based off the type of student that applies there, maybe two or three kids have those type of numbers. More likely, 1.

The more i research this place, the more it sickens me.
Don't read this after eating a big lunch: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/co ... -paid.html

Hate the game, not the playa.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:27 am

Not even the top 1% at Cooley gets big law (unless its as a "staff atty")

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:32 am

InGoodFaith wrote:If you don't know them well, absolutely do not send them the LST link. That's reserved for someone who's a good friend.
Hate to say I told ya so.

hume85

Silver

Post by hume85 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:33 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:If you don't know them well, absolutely do not send them the LST link. That's reserved for someone who's a good friend.
Hate to say I told ya so.
The truth hurts.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:40 am

I can just see it now. "Bro you're going to THAT school? Look at how terrible it is! You should be more like me and go to a T14."

lutcf2021

New

Post by lutcf2021 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:10 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
Don't read this after eating a big lunch: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/co ... -paid.html

Hate the game, not the playa.[/quote]

He needs to be shot.

Aren't you going to say how you broke the news?[/quote]

I did it online. I sent him a link and pretty much said "Hey man, Cooley is a decent school, (forgive me for the lie) but i think there are better ones...have any others on your list? Like really consider others? Any others???" Also, sent the link.

I compare it to when I told one of my exes that "we should see other people" via text. Except there was less cursing, less violence committed against my belongings, and less female angst was pooled against me.

But just as much annoyance. probs just as much rage.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:11 pm

Not cool.

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:15 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”