Does LS Reputation Only Matter If Want Biglaw?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jwinaz

Does LS Reputation Only Matter If Want Biglaw?

Postby jwinaz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:27 pm

If I'm close to sure I don't want biglaw (I'm not 100%, but it doesn't appeal to me that much), would attending any law school more or less be OK for jobs in small firms?

nickb285

Re: Does LS Reputation Only Matter If Want Biglaw?

Postby nickb285 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:02 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigJT

Postby BigJT » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:54 pm

nickb285 wrote:That said, it does change the schools you should be looking at. I'm the same way--no interest in the biglaw lifestyle whatsoever--so instead of gunning for T14 and preftige and all that I'm looking at strong regional schools in places I wouldn't mind working that I could attend for cheap. For instance, right now I'm looking strongly at the University of Utah (where I'd like to work, I'll get resident tuition, maybe I'll get lucky and even get a scholarship, have family support network in town) as well as the University of Alabama (visiting to see if I like the campus, and they're offering me a large scholarship). Both have decent if not incredible employment numbers, and the low cost of tuition means that the risk I'm taking will be manageable even if I can't find a job as a lawyer. I've been waitlisted at Georgetown, which is T14 and has a lot of lay prestige, but even if I get in, I wouldn't attend at sticker over Utah or Alabama because I don't want to take the kind of job I would need to take to service that debt. Without the option of biglaw, minimizing debt while maximizing employment potential needs to be your priority.

Quoting for truthiness. The whole prestige of T14 or first-tier or whatever is a joke when you look at the actual employment stats and the COA at some of these schools. A lower ranked but strong regional with in-state or otherwise discounted tuition is often the better choice.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:00 pm

BigJT wrote:A lower ranked but strong regional with in-state or otherwise discounted tuition is often the better choice.

That's the TLS conventional wisdom, and it certainly holds for someone who doesn't want BigLaw. Unfortunately "I don't want BigLaw" is often a euphemism for "I'm not willing to put in the time to get a decent LSAT score."

Return to “Law School FAQ”