My mother claimed to hire a lawyer to make sure that...

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Kitt1918

My mother claimed to hire a lawyer to make sure that...

Postby Kitt1918 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:05 pm

Deleted. Thanks for your prompt and helpful advice.
Last edited by Kitt1918 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Re: My mother claimed to hire a lawyer to make sure that...

Postby TripTrip » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:08 pm

Kitt1918 wrote:My university offers free legal representation

That sounds like a good start to me!

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:09 pm

TripTrip wrote:

This. Do this first thing and don't do anything else before you do this.

cynthiad

Postby cynthiad » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:09 pm

TripTrip wrote:

Make an appointment with your university's legal services, they can tell you what your options are.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:12 pm

I really hope someone can give you advise but I think you should consult the legal representative your school provides.

I'm pretty sure the lawyer can't have you blacklisted but can possibly complicate C&F; then again, if the lawyer mentions anything that isn't true you should file a complaint with the bar. However, I have zero knowledge about bar admissions, do please don't take my word for it

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:17 pm

Just make sure to be completely, be 100% honest on your C&F (and your applications for law school).

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:20 pm

An online forum like this isn't the right place to be asking for this kind of advice. But anyway, I'd recommend using your school's legal representation, seeking out your school's counseling office so that you don't have to wait 7 hours in an unsafe neighborhood but can still be seen, and delete your original post. Good luck with everything.

Bobnoxious

Postby Bobnoxious » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:21 pm

As a fellow attempted suicide as a teen and bipolar sufferer, is your diagnosis "Bipolar I" or "Bipolar II" - It *could* make a difference. As a "Bipolar I" I've been lucky enough to not have had any problems in at least 10+ years, and I've been able to do it without medication and, for all practical purposes, with the blessing of my shrink. I also learned that quitting smoking was contraindicated for bipolars. Who'd a thunk it?

Here's how...

I smoke, I drink A LOT of coffee, and I surround myself with people who both know about my bipolar issue and have blanket permission to figuratively "jerk my chain" and let me know when they think one or the other side is becoming a little too dominant, at which point I step back, take a deep breath, and honestly consider it from their perspective as best I can. I do NOT think this would work for a Bipolar II, however.

Good Luck, and definitely get with the legal representative at the school.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:25 pm

Sorry you have to go through this, but take advantage of your university's program. As long as you don't have a bad criminal record, are honest about everything, and take care of your mental issues I bet you will be ok. Talk to a lawyer though. Good luck.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:45 pm

I'm sorry to hear about this. I agree that you should consult your university's legal services. I also wondered if there's a possibility your mother is exaggerating/lying? Obviously there are shady lawyers out there, but what she's suggesting the lawyer do sounds like an invitation to bar discipline, so unless it's someone really shady or a friend/relative she has pull over, I can't imagine a lawyer taking it on. Plus, I really don't think the ABA is interested in blacklisting individual students, and it doesn't actually have anything to do with law school applications (that's LSAC). Nor does it administer bar admissions - that's the individual states. She'd have to contact the individual schools to have anything to do with your admissions. (Not that her calling up the ABA to complain about you would be a good thing, but I don't think the ABA does what she thinks it does.)

All that said, you'd likely have to disclose the mental health diagnosis for the C&F portion of the bar, anyway. In my state, it likely wouldn't block your admission as long as you were dealing with the issue (could have doctors say you're fine to practice, for instance), but it might well entail additional interviews and investigation.

But again, I'm really sorry you have to deal with this.

Return to “Law School FAQ”