FORGOT ABOUT MY SPEEDING TICKETS!!!

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
soontobelawschooler

FORGOT ABOUT MY SPEEDING TICKETS!!!

Postby soontobelawschooler » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:49 am

Help,

I just realized I used to get ticketed for speeding on interstate when I drove from Chicago to New York during college breaks.
I honestly have no idea exactly when and where because I received about 3-4 perhaps 5-6 in life but I'm not sure. I remember doing online driver's ed thing once, but nothing that required court appearance and nothing serious over $200.

I really want to disclose this now to the eight schools I have applied so far, but I don't want to sound irresponsible just like I do now. Oh my god, what do I do?!
Is there a way to find out exactly when and where along I-90 it happened?

Also I was recently involved in a car accident where someone forgot to yield and illegally hit me at the intersection. Because it was a week before the December LSAT and I was angry so I made her eat a ticket by testifying at the court. Do I disclose this too?

mephistopheles

Re: FORGOT ABOUT MY SPEEDING TICKETS!!!

Postby mephistopheles » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:03 am

hahaha, "just realized"

but just send a formal, truthful, and lightly apologetic letter right away. no one will care. they'll only care if you continue to delay or don't tell them, etc.

and only tell them about things they ask for. accidents where you're not criminally at fault don't matter.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:11 am

make sure you actually need to disclose these... a lot of schools exempt "minor traffic violations"

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:08 am

Don't worry. First, check the language of the different apps and make sure disclosure is required. (Were you ticketed in states where minor moving violations are Class C misdemeanors?) Second, do as the first reply to your post suggested, with particular emphasis on "lightly apologetic." Send the amendment to the C&F portion of your app as an email, not as an attachment.

This is not a big deal.

samn

Postby samn » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:12 am

Ha. I agree with the "don't worry" people. Also, I want to reiterate that it might not be required. I applied to 13 schools, and, that I remember, only two required me to disclose minor traffic violations (FWIW, I got accepted to one of these and got waitlisted for the other). (Also, can I just say that it is so ridiculous when they require you to disclose these... it was really hard to avoid sarcasm when I was writing my "explanation.")

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:26 pm

samn wrote:Also, can I just say that it is so ridiculous when they require you to disclose these... it was really hard to avoid sarcasm when I was writing my "explanation."

I found that as well. "'Describe the circumstances'...Well, I was driving, and I went fast, and someone noticed. The end."

soontobelawschooler

Postby soontobelawschooler » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:51 pm

Thanks everyone!

As I read the directions, I think only Emory requires disclosure so I sent a*lightly apologetic* email right away asking if they want me to pull out a driving record.
Still no answer yet.

But the problem remains.

It turns out, according to my mother, I once paid over 400 dollars. ????????????????
I mean, the fastest I went was probably 85. (memory's failing) but only because the speed limit was like 75 or 80.
but I was never arrested/ never suspended/ never did community service or what not/ never went to court/ if I did I would remember wouldn't I..

Yet this is still minor traffic violation, right?

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:52 pm

soontobelawschooler wrote:It turns out, according to my mother, I once paid over 400 dollars. ????????????????
I mean, the fastest I went was probably 85. (memory's failing) but only because the speed limit was like 75 or 80.
but I was never arrested/ never suspended/ never did community service or what not/ never went to court/ if I did I would remember wouldn't I..

how many pots have you smoken?

anonstudent

Postby anonstudent » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:06 pm

soontobelawschooler wrote:Thanks everyone!

As I read the directions, I think only Emory requires disclosure so I sent a*lightly apologetic* email right away asking if they want me to pull out a driving record.
Still no answer yet.

But the problem remains.

It turns out, according to my mother, I once paid over 400 dollars. ????????????????

Last edited by anonstudent on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

JimmyHuang

Postby JimmyHuang » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:14 am

mephistopheles wrote:how many pots have you smoken?

He smoked three marijuanas and also died.

Return to “Law School FAQ”