is dropping this class worth it?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
kitkat123

is dropping this class worth it?

Postby kitkat123 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:51 pm

Last edited by kitkat123 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dirtrida2

Re: is dropping this class worth it?

Postby dirtrida2 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:55 pm

.3 is nothing... If you are sure you can stay in that class and stay above a 3.5, then do it - if that is what you'll enjoy.

Don't be afraid to max out your LSAT attempts... June, October, December.

*edit*

FWIW - I took 3 classes with one professor and he was the one who also overlooked my self-study. I formed a great relationship with said professor, he has been a great source for any Recs, and I know I will always have him as a contact if needed.

ksllaw

Postby ksllaw » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:54 am

dirtrida2 wrote:.3 is nothing... If you are sure you can stay in that class and stay above a 3.5, then do it - if that is what you'll enjoy.

Don't be afraid to max out your LSAT attempts... June, October, December.

OP, these are just some thoughts, but not intended as specific advice for your situation.

i.) You might consider applying for the following cycle (taking a gap year) if you feel you won't be prepared for the LSAT.

LSAT prep can be tough when taking on other mentally challenging demands. You really have to be disciplined, but even then your mind and body may not be able to handle all of the various demands successfully/optimally. Of course, this depends on the individual. But, speaking generally, it does usually require a significant amount of devoted time and effort to do well (for many people) on the LSAT. So, if you're brain real estate, so to speak, and/or mental/physical energies are sapped, then you may find balancing studying for the LSAT with taking a demanding load of classes difficult.

Also, remember that the LSAT is at least 50% of your law school admissions rating (sometimes weighted even more), whereas a single class is a small fraction of the other 50% (UGPA).

ii.) The value of a strong letter of recommendation from a professor, given that you say you may not have many others, is very high here, I believe. I would think it would outweigh a potential minor .3 dip in UGPA. But that is my personal opinion. Ideally, I would want to both have an opportunity to get a great LOR + do well in the class (causing no dip in UGPA). :P

iii.) Sometimes challenges can lead to enhanced academic skills/abilities, depending on how you approach them (e.g., whether or not you actively learn from them and actively try to improve). So, there's possibly some hidden value with a challenging class. On the other hand, if one is not prepared to take on that challenge and could end up with a very poor grade (such as a B-), then it may not be a good idea. In that case, you may struggle (due to being unprepared) and end up with a bad grade (that can harm your GPA and may not reflect your ability), which would be doubly bad.

These are just some thoughts....I am by no means saying what I think you should do, OP. Take everything with a grain of salt. You, of course, know yourself better than us and can probably best measure and assess what the best option would be. But just wanting to give you some things to think about when making that choice. 8)

***ETA: Also, could you ask this professor for an LOR without taking this particular class?

kitkat123

Postby kitkat123 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:32 pm

Thanks so much to both of you for your opinions. I think realistically, my lowest grade in this seminar would be a B+ and an optimistic grade would be an A. I got an A- in my last class with the professor, but I think it was slightly easier and I didn't interact with him as much as I think would have been ideal. I was wondering if I could ask this professor for a letter without taking the class too, and I honestly have no idea. I'm not sure how great of a relationship someone is supposed to have with a professor to get a really good letter and I thought taking this class might make our relationship more solid. It might also be awkward for me to drop the class and then ask him for a letter. So I think I am leaning towards just staying in the class.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:07 pm

kitkat123 wrote:Thanks so much to both of you for your opinions. I think realistically, my lowest grade in this seminar would be a B+ and an optimistic grade would be an A. I got an A- in my last class with the professor, but I think it was slightly easier and I didn't interact with him as much as I think would have been ideal. I was wondering if I could ask this professor for a letter without taking the class too, and I honestly have no idea. I'm not sure how great of a relationship someone is supposed to have with a professor to get a really good letter and I thought taking this class might make our relationship more solid. It might also be awkward for me to drop the class and then ask him for a letter. So I think I am leaning towards just staying in the class.

If you drop, it would definitely make it harder to attain a LOR.

Just take the class, enjoy yourself, sit in front, and be very attentive in discussion.

Also remember that you shouldn't be afraid to ask a professor for a LOR, that is what they are there for. They want you to succeed just as much as you want yourself to succeed. That being said, feel free to send out an email or two to other Professors you took multiple courses with, preferably 2+.

Return to “Law School FAQ”