School-Funded Jeeerrbs

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Hoocheez

School-Funded Jeeerrbs

Postby Hoocheez » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:50 pm

n/m
Last edited by Hoocheez on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Re: School-Funded Jeeerrbs

Postby TripTrip » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:01 pm

Don't decide which school to go to based on whether they hire the graduates who can't find jobs... regardless of whether you see that as a positive or negative.

Hellen Killer

Postby Hellen Killer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:07 am

Last edited by Hellen Killer on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:18 am

Wait, who actually asked this question?

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:22 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Wait, who actually asked this question?

bowser

Postby bowser » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:29 am

I think another thing that gets overlooked is that these school funded jobs have kind of become standard practice, so many people do them. A lot of employers have probably started to rely on law school graduates willing to work for free--and the unemployed graduates would certainly like to do this and gain the requisite experience while being paid by SOMEBODY. So yes, really terrible indication of the job market, but all else being equal I'd rather be paid than not.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:36 am

I sent the OP a PM, but wanted to reiterate my point here in case anyone else was curious. At my school, at least, the school does not throw you into a fellowship-eligible job. You have to convince some public interest organization to take you on full-time first, then you apply for the fellowship. Not everyone who wants a fellowship can get one since not everyone finds "job" that qualifies and I knew numerous people in the class of 2012 who were left out in the cold despite the fact that our school provides "jobs."

Borg

Postby Borg » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:38 am

I agree with you, it's much better to be helping grads to land a first job than to leave them out in the cold. It's much easier to find something while gaining a little experience than it is to explain a long gap in a resume.

The main reason people were upset about it was because schools were reporting these fellowships in the same way they were reporting full time jobs at firms, in government etc. They are short term jobs that may or may not lead to long term positions, but schools had been passing them off as ordinary employment in order to claim higher employment percentages for rankings purposes. Basically, a prospective student could see a 98% employment rate when in fact only 20% of the class had jobs outside of the school sponsored fellowships.

ajax

Postby ajax » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:35 am

Borg wrote:I agree with you, it's much better to be helping grads to land a first job than to leave them out in the cold. It's much easier to find something while gaining a little experience than it is to explain a long gap in a resume.

The main reason people were upset about it was because schools were reporting these fellowships in the same way they were reporting full time jobs at firms, in government etc. They are short term jobs that may or may not lead to long term positions, but schools had been passing them off as ordinary employment in order to claim higher employment percentages for rankings purposes. Basically, a prospective student could see a 98% employment rate when in fact only 20% of the class had jobs outside of the school sponsored fellowships.

LOL! A much greater help to graduates would be cutting tuition back to viable levels, and not accepting a shit ton of students just for more revenue, thus saturating the market.

That's just me though. You can still go with the, "These schools are really helping students" argument.

Return to “Law School FAQ”