What Debt Level Would Deter U From Non-HYS T14 Law School?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Law School Debt Breaking Point

None
6
10%
$225K+
8
13%
$200K+
4
7%
$175K+
4
7%
$150K+
16
27%
$125K+
3
5%
$100K+
13
22%
$75K+
2
3%
$50K+
2
3%
$25k+
2
3%
 
Total votes: 60

User avatar
scifiguy
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:41 pm

What Debt Level Would Deter U From Non-HYS T14 Law School?

Postby scifiguy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:33 pm

What level of expected debt from law school would break you and make you decide not to attend law school at a non-HYS T14?
Last edited by scifiguy on Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
spicyyoda17
Posts: 320
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: What Debt Level Would Deter U From Law School?

Postby spicyyoda17 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:33 pm

Need a poll.

User avatar
scifiguy
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: What Debt Level Would Deter U From Law School?

Postby scifiguy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:37 pm

spicyyoda17 wrote:Need a poll.



Ok.

User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: What Debt Level Would Deter U From Law School?

Postby manofjustice » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:38 pm

Depends on the employment prospects coming out of the school.

User avatar
smaug_
Posts: 2195
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: What Debt Level Would Deter U From Law School?

Postby smaug_ » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:39 pm

The poll is asinine because it doesn't take into account the ranking of the school. I think HYS would be worth sticker (even if many end up paying less) and it gets to be debatable from there.

User avatar
scifiguy
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: What Debt Level Would Deter U From Law School?

Postby scifiguy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:39 pm

I edited poll to be more specific now.

User avatar
suralin
better than you
Posts: 15079
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:52 am

Re: What Debt Level Would Deter U From Law School?

Postby suralin » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:55 pm

hibiki wrote:The poll is asinine because it doesn't take into account the ranking of the school. I think HYS would be worth sticker (even if many end up paying less) and it gets to be debatable from there.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: What Debt Level Would Deter U From Non-HYS T14 Law School?

Postby TripTrip » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:31 am

The 25k-75k options are a little silly. The only way you're not going to incur CoL debt is if you're already rich.

User avatar
scifiguy
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: What Debt Level Would Deter U From Non-HYS T14 Law School?

Postby scifiguy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:08 am

TripTrip wrote:The 25k-75k options are a little silly. The only way you're not going to incur CoL debt is if you're already rich.


That's mostly true probably. I guess in my case, I think my parents would be willingin to chip in probably like $25-30K (probably not more, since we're not rich) towards my graduate school expenses if I ultimately went.

Of course, you also have those super scholarhsips right that pay literaly teverything from tuition to living expenses?

Lastly, some attend LS while livign at home with parents and/or working part-time, so that they may not really pick up COL the way a traditional person does.

I guess there's enough ways to avoid it that it's worth putting in the poll. But the real reason I think is that I started small and then ran out of poll options after 10 choices. haha. They TLS poll guidelines only let you do so many options. I figured start small and go up and just do like a reasonabl e range that people would likely find themselves working iwth.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: What Debt Level Would Deter U From Non-HYS T14 Law School?

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:11 am

scifiguy wrote:That's mostly true probably. I guess in my case, I think my parents would be willingin to chip in probably like $25-30K (probably not more, since we're not rich) towards my graduate school expenses if I ultimately went.
$25-30k isn't enough to offset everything outside of tuition. I wish it were.

scifiguy wrote:Of course, you also have those super scholarhsips right that pay literaly teverything from tuition to living expenses?
This is the T14 thread we're in, right? Then no. The Darrow is the only one I know with a stipend, and even that is only $8k/yr.

scifiguy wrote:Lastly, some attend LS while livign at home with parents and/or working part-time, so that they may not really pick up COL the way a traditional person does. .
Part-time work wouldn't offset CoL, unless it was some sweet part-time gig. Secondly, if your parents *happen* to live within driving distance of the T14 you get into and are going to attend, more power to you.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bcapace and 1 guest