0Ls: What's your plan B?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
justonemoregame

Re: 0Ls: What's your plan B?

Postby justonemoregame » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:47 pm

From the classic archives, a perfectly reasonable Plan B: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ77EWaCYmQ

nsfw

North

Postby North » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:51 pm

Suralin wrote:LOL. I can't tell if you're an extremely subtle troll or just the shittiest of shitboomers. (Probably the latter.)

Even the worst troll knows better than to make a separate post for EVERY stupid comment.

Striderite3

Postby Striderite3 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:15 pm

ksllaw wrote:Post-baccalaurate in accounting.

I mentioned it elsewhere, but the good salary and stable career prospects are attractive. I've heard it said that one can literally leave the job for a year or two and come back with ease to find a job in accounting again. I'm researching the job market to double-check that claim, but it does seem so far to have some of those qualities of stability and demand I've been hearing about.

I like that it is mental work, because that's partially what attracted me to law school as well.

For those who may be interested in accounting, I'll post back here maybe with more info. as I learn it. On the other hand, feel free to teach me as well!

I'm currently getting my Masters in accounting. I've sat for and passed the four parts of the CPA exam. I have a full time job lined up with one of the Big Four accounting firms.

That being said, I'm still heavily considering law school. The idea of giving up a steady job at a great accounting firm is pretty nerve wracking; but there's also a part of me that's always wanted to give law school a go. I would only go to law school if I got into a specific school that is very strong in the region I want to practice in. Also, I know having a CPA/work experience at a Big Four firm won't carry much weight when I apply to law school; but I am hopeful it will carry some weight when I go through recruiting as a 1L/2L.

All that to say. Yes accounting is a great degree and great career prospects. Not to mention it's very inelastic and will be around in the good times and bad times. It would have to be a pretty good situation for me to leave my accounting firm and go to law school. Butttt there's still a part of me that wants to take the LSAT and see where I shake out.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:48 pm

kuttlefish

Postby kuttlefish » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:06 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
kuttlefish wrote:Second UG degree -> patent bar -> Patent prosecutor

there are things you can't do with that unless you have a JD though.

but there are things that you could do that most JD holders can't do too.

Most people go for both since clients tend to prefer that.

Ummmmm... title of the thread?

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:59 pm

Suralin wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:
North wrote:
kuttlefish wrote:Second UG degree -> patent bar -> Patent prosecutor

Not a bad idea, actually.

thelawdoctor wrote:believe it or not, unemployment is a god send while in school. Its money you don't have to work for. It sounds insane, but it's true.
thelawdoctor wrote:enjoy 1L son.............. :shock:
thelawdoctor wrote:there are worse things to be in life, like being the lsat prep guy instead of the bar prep guy.......

Dude reeks of SHITBOOMER.

anyone who disses the idea of unemployment in law school has either never been in law school or never had a real job.

LOL. I can't tell if you're an extremely subtle troll or just the shittiest of shitboomers. (Probably the latter.)

you think free money without work being a good thing for a student is a shitboom?
either you don't understand currency or daddy gives you his debit card

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:12 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:
North wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:believe it or not, unemployment is a god send while in school. Its money you don't have to work for. It sounds insane, but it's true.
thelawdoctor wrote:enjoy 1L son.............. :shock:
thelawdoctor wrote:there are worse things to be in life, like being the lsat prep guy instead of the bar prep guy.......

Dude reeks of SHITBOOMER.

anyone who disses the idea of unemployment in law school has either never been in law school or never had a real job.

you think free money without work being a good thing for a student is a shitboom?
either you don't understand currency or daddy gives you his debit card

I'm quite sure that most students are ineligible for unemployment compensation either because they're unavailable for work (taking classes tends to do that) or because they're still considered dependents of their parents. Also, the purpose of unemployment is, presumably, to benefit those who are completely available to work, actively looking for a job, and who cannot in fact get a job. Going to school--especially FT--and collecting unemployment money is pretty selfish/shitty.

If I'm wrong about this, do correct me.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:15 pm

It depends on the state. I took 2 years of unemployment while in school.
They do tend to want you to stay in the same state though, so if you plan to attend in a different state you may be boned.

You can also get foodstamps since student loans are not considered income (although unemployment is, but not enough to disqualify you)

In many areas you can also get state cash assistance and free housing.

-I plan to be stabbed to death by angry masses outside a courthouse at a young age. I am getting my govt benies now while I can.
Last edited by thelawdoctor on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:17 pm

Also unemployment doesn't matter if you are under 24. It's not a pellgrant.

You can be 18 and live in a mansion owned by a CEO Parent. You can be married to Bill Gates and still get it.
It's based on what YOU earned while working, NOT household need.

It's not welfare.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:30 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:Also unemployment doesn't matter if you are under 24. It's not a pellgrant.

You can be 18 and live in a mansion owned by a CEO Parent. You can be married to Bill Gates and still get it.

It's not welfare.

Okay, never mind; I stand corrected. Thanks for the information.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:31 pm

Suralin wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:Also unemployment doesn't matter if you are under 24. It's not a pellgrant.

It's not welfare.

Okay, never mind; I stand corrected. Thanks for the information.

Not a problem. Many people who havn't been on it don't know abou it (like any other program)

If you take an Employment Law elective they will teach more about this and other simular programs.

Justin Genious

Postby Justin Genious » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:48 am

Unemployment should only be collected by people actively seeking a job and have no other potential prospects (ie not for students). It is shitty, as Surlain put it, to be collecting while in school--especially for FT young students.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:49 am

In fact, if you're not actively seeking work, your benefits can be cut. It's not intended to put students through school. I could see it if you were a PT student working FT, and you got laid off; that would be one thing. But if you're a FT student, you're not out of work actively seeking new work, which seems to me to rule out unemployment.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:05 pm

Depends on the state guys. They ask if you are in school. You have to say yes, they often gie the waive the work searching requirment.

As stated, varies by state.

If you don't want free money, don't take scholarships either.

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:30 pm

Let's please keep this thread to a discussion of useful facts, not your personal moral beliefs informed by zero actual knowledge on the subject. FYI in my state you are considered ineligible for food stamps if you are a half-time or full-time student unless you meet certain exemptions like being responsible for your own dependents, or working at least half time. I doubt most law school students work 20 hours per week but if you are still curious about your state's rules, go here: http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/rules/Memo/2011/122310.pdf

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:39 pm

And from what I can find, most states that allow students to take unemployment (which is not all) also require students receiving unemployment benefits to be available to take a job if one's offered. That doesn't seem to square easily with law school.

(And scholarships come from the school itself, not the public fisc.)

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:42 pm

If Law School Doesn't work out I'll probably try and get a gig as an Actuary

Edit: I only read the first page of the forum. Little did I know that the thread is now about taking government handouts.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:51 pm

On-topic: My plan B is to go into software programming/engineering. And if that doesn't work out, get a Master's in CS, or maybe work a few years and go for a M7 MBA to switch careers.

scifiguy

Postby scifiguy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:07 am

Is anyone here doing technical writing? I have a double in English and Philosophy.

Would love to hear about job entrance, salary, environment, long-term prospects, etc.

scifiguy

Postby scifiguy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:19 am

This is a great thread, btw.

I've been getting a bit worried about law school.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:13 am

scifiguy wrote:This is a great thread, btw.

I feel like I've seen into the depths of your very soul via all these damn threads you've posted.

scifiguy

Postby scifiguy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:29 am

sinfiery wrote:

I feel like I've seen into the depths of your very soul via all these damn threads you've posted.

First, lol.

But yeah. The bittersweet pain of it all. Facing the reality of law school truths and possibly seeing a dream shattered. But also thankful to know the truth to avoid future troubles if I decided to go.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:43 am

I've been getting a bit worried having anxiety attacks for three months about law school.

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:49 am

francesfarmer wrote:

I've been getting a bit worried having anxiety attacks for three months about law school.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm prone to anxiety but hadn't had any issue with it for over a year, until around this June, after I took the LSAT and my application work was gearing up. It got progressively worse and worse until I finally submitted my applications a few weeks ago. I was starting to have panic and anxiety at the most absurd and random times, like while driving or in restaurants. What the hell. So glad applications are over and I have an acceptance in my hand.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:10 pm

fallingup wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm prone to anxiety but hadn't had any issue with it for over a year, until around this June, after I took the LSAT and my application work was gearing up. It got progressively worse and worse until I finally submitted my applications a few weeks ago. I was starting to have panic and anxiety at the most absurd and random times, like while driving or in restaurants. What the hell. So glad applications are over and I have an acceptance in my hand.

I've always had problems and the fact that I've convinced myself I won't be able to afford to see a psychriatrist while in law school is just making it worse.

Rationality occasionally takes hold of me, and I realize how lucky I am to be in this position with my acceptances. One day at a time!

Return to “Law School FAQ”