0Ls: What's your plan B?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
francesfarmer

Re: 0Ls: What's your plan B?

Postby francesfarmer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:44 pm

TheBiggerMediocre wrote:My plan is as follows go to any school in the top 100 once I get my results since i have literally bet my college education on going to law school and I don't want to go back to school for anything but law or maybe business unless I want to get into politics. Roughly if its t30 I shall pay sticker if 30-60 50% off 60-90 free! 90-100 pay me.

Bobnoxious wrote:Plan A = Law School leading to a mostly satisfied, semi-comfortable life afterward.

Plan B = Life insurance policy for 1-3 years + divorce (don't want her to owe the tax burden on forgiven loans) + bullet to the brainpan (or the equivalent).

I have had similar thoughts

Pretty sure you don't your beneficiary doesn't get your life insurance money if you kill yourself

paul554

Postby paul554 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:44 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
TheBiggerMediocre wrote:My plan is as follows go to any school in the top 100 once I get my results since i have literally bet my college education on going to law school and I don't want to go back to school for anything but law or maybe business unless I want to get into politics. Roughly if its t30 I shall pay sticker if 30-60 50% off 60-90 free! 90-100 pay me.

Bobnoxious wrote:Plan A = Law School leading to a mostly satisfied, semi-comfortable life afterward.

Plan B = Life insurance policy for 1-3 years + divorce (don't want her to owe the tax burden on forgiven loans) + bullet to the brainpan (or the equivalent).

Pretty sure you don't your beneficiary doesn't get your life insurance money if you kill yourself

Most policies have a time limit restriction to when they cover suicide. My current policy has it at 1 year after purchase, though others have longer times before it kicks in. The general theory is that it is VERY rare for someone to contemplate suicide, buy a policy and then continue on with their life for an extended period of time before killing themselves based purely off someone else collecting their life insurance.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:47 pm

sinfiery wrote:Can any of those accountants speak to if dat biglaw salary is eligible for all them secret rich people tax loopholes I keep hearing about?

lol big law salary lol that stuff wouldn't apply until you made partner bro. Upper-middle class gets just fuarked.

throw-away-soon

Postby throw-away-soon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:33 pm

Coach and ref a college, accept a year long fellowship with my county, take gre or LSAT ass and study for either before taking test, apply to ls and phd programs. Put away money and go on an awesome and relaxing vacation (haven't gone on a vacation in over 7 years). I'm definitely quitting my crremt job. I was offered a pysch assistant job and a pt job adminstering drug and alcohol surveys to teenagers. Keep volunteering with my sorority and prevention point. Actually that a sounds a lot better than school.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:54 pm

Plan B- Housewife/Mom. That is pretty much my husband's dream for me anyways.

North

Postby North » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:58 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:Plan B- Housewife/Mom. That is pretty much my husband's dream for me anyways.

TheBiggerMediocre

Postby TheBiggerMediocre » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:12 pm

Sell my life to the mafia and get a policy that doubles in value every year, then I am going to see how long I last until they kill me. That's if I can't get a job after law school that can pay down my debt within 10 years.

Bobnoxious

Postby Bobnoxious » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:47 pm

paul554 wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:

Most policies have a time limit restriction to when they cover suicide. My current policy has it at 1 year after purchase, though others have longer times before it kicks in. The general theory is that it is VERY rare for someone to contemplate suicide, buy a policy and then continue on with their life for an extended period of time before killing themselves based purely off someone else collecting their life insurance.

Hence my 1-3 year qualifier. ;-)

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:36 pm

Man, I'm a history major.

I got no plan B.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:49 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Man, I'm a history major.

I got no plan B.

House husband?

Gunnar Stahl

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:09 pm

I got no plan B.

dood didn't you get like a 179 on the lsat?

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:21 am

BlueJeanBaby wrote:

I got no plan B.

House husband?

Not pretty enough, sadly.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:14 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:

I got no plan B.

House husband?

you underestimate how bad fat and fugly women need love

be a lady teamster or truckers He-Bitch.

Legacy Rabbit

Postby Legacy Rabbit » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:05 pm

john7234797 wrote:
john7234797 wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote:Double Major: Philosophy and Poli Sci and Minored in History.

I guess my undergrad degree has plateaued for my situation. I was very concerned about my ability to underwrite my lifestyle, and most importantly remain competitive, so I went back and received a paralegal certification that was newly being offered at my undergrad institution. My justification was that I need to have the income to help pay for law school and pay for the lifestyle. I wanted to remain "me" and pay out of pocket as much as I can. Plus, as oppose to going to school full time two semesters a year over three years and work in the summer, go part-time and hold a position that engages in substantive legal work at least 50 percent of the time.

This certification led to an internship with a highly respected tech company for a year. The certification, the tech company, the undergrad degree, and my prev years of work experience have culminated to a present situation of a job offer for about 50k as a paralegal. I will attend law school this fall in the state I grew up in part-time.

Companies are gearing towards wanting advanced degrees even for entry level positions. There are so many graduate degrees and experienced professional adults to pull from that someone in their 20s with only an undergrad liberal arts degree, without 3-5 years of substantive work experience as defined by the respected companies HR, may find it hard in today's current job environment.

I highly suggest to those of you who are not working Fortune 500, immediately do so.

Good positions to look for that assist you in building your resume: consulting, risk, contracts. These areas are also considered JD preference jobs and look great while you are a 0L. If you are not qualified for those positions. Working for a firm engaging in Foreclosure or bkptcy or short sales is very good. I say these three areas because someone with only a liberal arts degree can more than likely find a job in a firm or in house. Also, with a liberal arts degree jobs engaged or titled "research" are good too.

In conclusion, my situation:
No law school, than a full time worker bee :)

Good to see a fellow useless liberal arts degree holder finding some work. As a senior undergrad it's tough finding stuff. Got one interview for a research analyst position i hope goes well.. hoping to get a few more. I wish my school offered a paralegal certificate.. I'm not about to enroll in a program for a year at a local CC to get that. That is something I'd be interested in doing though.

Just an update, I was able to land the research analyst position. $32 K a year with some bonuses and benefits. Seemed like a small, very laid back place and it would be a pleasant work environment. Not a lot of longterm aspirations but seems like a solid place to get that first job.

Pretty excited and ready to accept. Should I withdraw from the Waitlsit at the schools I applied to?

I hope to God you did not withdraw. Go to law school, bruh. Work and go part-time if you need to.

star fox

Postby star fox » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:58 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:
john7234797 wrote:
john7234797 wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote:Double Major: Philosophy and Poli Sci and Minored in History.

I guess my undergrad degree has plateaued for my situation. I was very concerned about my ability to underwrite my lifestyle, and most importantly remain competitive, so I went back and received a paralegal certification that was newly being offered at my undergrad institution. My justification was that I need to have the income to help pay for law school and pay for the lifestyle. I wanted to remain "me" and pay out of pocket as much as I can. Plus, as oppose to going to school full time two semesters a year over three years and work in the summer, go part-time and hold a position that engages in substantive legal work at least 50 percent of the time.

This certification led to an internship with a highly respected tech company for a year. The certification, the tech company, the undergrad degree, and my prev years of work experience have culminated to a present situation of a job offer for about 50k as a paralegal. I will attend law school this fall in the state I grew up in part-time.

Companies are gearing towards wanting advanced degrees even for entry level positions. There are so many graduate degrees and experienced professional adults to pull from that someone in their 20s with only an undergrad liberal arts degree, without 3-5 years of substantive work experience as defined by the respected companies HR, may find it hard in today's current job environment.

I highly suggest to those of you who are not working Fortune 500, immediately do so.

Good positions to look for that assist you in building your resume: consulting, risk, contracts. These areas are also considered JD preference jobs and look great while you are a 0L. If you are not qualified for those positions. Working for a firm engaging in Foreclosure or bkptcy or short sales is very good. I say these three areas because someone with only a liberal arts degree can more than likely find a job in a firm or in house. Also, with a liberal arts degree jobs engaged or titled "research" are good too.

In conclusion, my situation:
No law school, than a full time worker bee :)

Good to see a fellow useless liberal arts degree holder finding some work. As a senior undergrad it's tough finding stuff. Got one interview for a research analyst position i hope goes well.. hoping to get a few more. I wish my school offered a paralegal certificate.. I'm not about to enroll in a program for a year at a local CC to get that. That is something I'd be interested in doing though.

Just an update, I was able to land the research analyst position. $32 K a year with some bonuses and benefits. Seemed like a small, very laid back place and it would be a pleasant work environment. Not a lot of longterm aspirations but seems like a solid place to get that first job.

Pretty excited and ready to accept. Should I withdraw from the Waitlsit at the schools I applied to?

I hope to God you did not withdraw. Go to law school, bruh. Work and go part-time if you need to.

But I can just re-take the LSAT and get more scholarship money or go to a better school? I've only taken it once.. I know the pay sucks but if I only do it for a year or two I figure it won't be too bad. Why the rush to K-JD?

tony2167

Postby tony2167 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:10 pm

^Go work for a year. Law school will always be there and who knows what other doors may open for you in the course of working that job.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:22 pm

Basically what I'm doing now. Work my day job, tutor Newport Beach kids in calculus for $60/hr during the night, and work morning shifts as a barista on weekends until I get into T14 or USC/UCLA with $$$ or find something better to do with my life.

sl5uw13

Postby sl5uw13 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:59 pm

I got no plan B.

me too man. I could work at a museum I guess. they teach history there right?

Purplebook

Postby Purplebook » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:42 am

I saw this group of guys using a crane to dig dirt out of the ground at a construction site and thought it looked kind of fun, so I guess I'd do that.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:07 am

Purplebook wrote:I saw this group of guys using a crane to dig dirt out of the ground at a construction site and thought it looked kind of fun, so I guess I'd do that.

I recall that episode of Seinfeld when George is looking for a job...

Purplebook

Postby Purplebook » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:04 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
Purplebook wrote:I saw this group of guys using a crane to dig dirt out of the ground at a construction site and thought it looked kind of fun, so I guess I'd do that.

Funny story: I've only ever watched one episode of Seinfeld and that one wasn't it. This is truly my own aspiration.

:lol: now I have to go watch that though!

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:07 pm

Purplebook wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:

Funny story: I've only ever watched one episode of Seinfeld and that one wasn't it. This is truly my own aspiration.

:lol: now I have to go watch that though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LCggmsCXk4

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:01 pm

Kaplan now has a law school.............I bet they are as "hard" to get into as a drunk trailer girl on promnight.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:05 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:

I got no plan B.

House husband?

you underestimate how bad fat and fugly women need love

be a lady teamster or truckers He-Bitch.

But would any fat and fugly women want a "Noodley One?"

squonk

Postby squonk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:26 pm

I'm not going plan B, since I got into a strong regional school with a good deal. But if I hadn't, I'd stick with teaching and get a master's.

Return to “Law School FAQ”