Question re: UVA, UT, and a retake

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
samn

Question re: UVA, UT, and a retake

Postby samn » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:55 am

Currently, I have a:

162 LSAT;

a 3.92 LSDAS GPA;

and very strong softs.

I am (following the sound advice of TLSers) retaking the LSAT in February. I've taken like a billion practice tests, and lately I've been scoring in the 165-167 range (I've never made above a 170, alas!). I have the logic games bible. (Don't need the other one, as I rarely miss more than one question in that section.)

I have a few questions: First, my top school is UVA. I was wait-listed there after applying ED. What do I have to make in February to have a chance of getting off the wait list?

My second choice, more or less, is UT. What do I have to make in February to have a chance of getting in there with $$? Also, I am currently being "held" at UT. They decided to hold my application right after I signed up for the February LSAT. Is it safe to assume that that's what they're waiting for, or should I explicitly request that they not decide until they see my new score? I'd hate to get rejected based on my current LSAT and then make a 167 in February...

Also, can you get new money/money off the waitlist from improving your score in February? A lot of questions, I know, but I have a lot to think through...

StylinNProfilin

Re: Question re: UVA, UT, and a retake

Postby StylinNProfilin » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:05 pm

I'm not too familiar with UVA so I'll leave that to someone else

For UT ur looking at a 166, maybe 165 to get an acceptance. As far as $$, u'd probably need to hit above the LSAT median (167). Goodluck!!

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:17 pm

167 *may* do the trick at UVA, but either way you're selling that GPA short. Put the work in, take in June, get your high score, and go to HYS.

samn

Postby samn » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:58 am

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

Does anyone know the answer to my second UT question:

Should I specifically ask them to hold my application until my February LSAT, or is it safe to assume that that's what they're doing?

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:09 pm

samn wrote:Thanks for the tips, everyone!

Does anyone know the answer to my second UT question:

Should I specifically ask them to hold my application until my February LSAT, or is it safe to assume that that's what they're doing?

It never hurts to just make sure by emailing them with the request. Also, are you instate for either UT or UVA?

samn

Postby samn » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:10 pm

We've lived in NYC since 2009; but my wife and I have a baby, and we have free babysi... er... family in Virginia and Texas.

Not sure if this is relevant, but all of my family lives in Texas, and I lived there all my life until 2009.

Return to “Law School FAQ”