Retaking when above the 75%?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Jay2716

Retaking when above the 75%?

Postby Jay2716 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:19 pm

Been lurking here for a couple of months but haven't been able to find any info on this. My numbers are , and I will most likely be attending a school with an LSAT 75% of 161. Since my LSAT is already several points above the 75%, is retaking worth it? Is a 174 likely to get more $ than a somewhere like this?
Last edited by Jay2716 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Re: Retaking when above the 75%?

Postby twenty » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:20 pm

The only T2 schools you should even remotely consider attending with 75ths as a 161 are:

UKentucky, San Diego, New Mexico, UTennessee-Knoxville, LSU, UOklahoma, Arkansas-Fayetteville, Kansas, Nebraska-Lincoln, and UHawaii, and only on a full ride.

That said, being over the 75th will probably help you, but being 5 points over or being 2 points over probably won't make much of a (if any) difference.

Justin Genious

Postby Justin Genious » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:39 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:The only T2 schools you should even remotely consider attending with 75ths as a 161 are:

UKentucky, San Diego, New Mexico, UTennessee-Knoxville, LSU, UOklahoma, Arkansas-Fayetteville, Kansas, Nebraska-Lincoln, and UHawaii, and only on a full ride.

That said, being over the 75th will probably help you, but being 5 points over or being 2 points over probably won't make much of a (if any) difference.

Qft. Once you're over the 75th it doesn't make too much of a difference in regards to how many points over it is.

Retake and get dat 172+ --> ED UVA next cycle.

Jay2716

Postby Jay2716 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:00 pm

Thanks, UVA would be a horrible choice in my situation, I don't have any desire to work on the East Coast and racking up $200,000 in debt to come back home and try to explain to employers in my insulated local market why I left if I wanted to practice here doesn't make sense.

dowu

Postby dowu » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:08 pm

Justin Genious wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:The only T2 schools you should even remotely consider attending with 75ths as a 161 are:

Qft. Once you're over the 75th it doesn't make too much of a difference in regards to how many points over it is.

Retake and get dat 172+ --> ED UVA next cycle.

+1. Medians and 75% alike don't work like that. If you're over their 75th then at no point after that would you help them maintain those numbers any more than if you're achieved a higher score, since you're already above their 75th.

If you're looking to get into a better school, then definitely retake. I'm pretty sure medians are the most important factor to the law schools, but I could be mistaken.

pruufreadr

Postby pruufreadr » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:57 am

Call the law schools and ask them whether or not a retake would be helpful in your situation. Not every school has the same answer. You may benefit more from scholarship assistance and acceptance from applying earlier while there are fewer applications in than you would from a higher score. If you plan to retake, most schools will hold your application file until your new score comes in. By waiting, you may miss out on whatever offer they would have given you had you applied early. I only had one school recommend the retake instead of taking the benefit of an earlier app.

Return to “Law School FAQ”