Making Friends in 1L

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
North

Re: Making Friends in 1L

Postby North » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:59 pm

That Co-Counsel group sounds pretty cool, actually. Lady North is coming with me to LS and she's the type that can make six new friends waiting in line at a gas station.

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:00 pm

brownpride wrote:I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I'd appreciate advice. I've joined the Facebook group for my school's incoming 1L class, and even from now a lot of people living in major cities are already meeting up and making friends. Combining that with the fact that many people at my school will have gone to the same undergrads, I feel that a lot of people might already have friends come September while I'll know nobody. I also won't be able to make it to ASW because I'm living overseas for the year. I'm not socially awkward, but making friends is already hard for me as it is since I'm a less social and not a very exciting person, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for making good friends at the beginning of 1L.

The facebook group will start meetups when everyone starts moving to town. Go to these, ask people's schedules, and meet people with the same schedule as you. Go to bar review early in the year, too. My biggest mistake this first semester was staying at home on Thursday nights. I missed out on a lot of fun my small section had.

If someone is absent, offer notes the next time you see them. Ask people in your small group if they want to go to lunch between classes. Ask about people's undegrad experiences, their legal interests, and so on. Just ask a lot of questions and let people talk about themselves. It's not revolutionary advice, but it works.

You'll be fine. I didn't make any friends until late in the semester, but it was my own fault, because I refused to put myself out there.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:34 pm

North wrote:That Co-Counsel group sounds pretty cool, actually. Lady North is coming with me to LS and she's the type that can make six new friends waiting in line at a gas station.

North you know we're hanging out in Charlottesville right?

North

Postby North » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:52 pm

Br3v wrote:
North wrote:That Co-Counsel group sounds pretty cool, actually. Lady North is coming with me to LS and she's the type that can make six new friends waiting in line at a gas station.

North you know we're hanging out in Charlottesville right?

Yes, please.

Return to “Law School FAQ”