Richest Students Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
hoogs23

Bronze

Richest Students

Post by hoogs23 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:06 am

Which law schools have the richest students or parents attending them?

TheThriller

Gold

Re: Richest Students

Post by TheThriller » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:11 am

Do not go to a law school based on how wealthy your co-students will be.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:35 am

hoogs23 wrote:Which law schools have the richest students or parents attending them?
lolwut

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:40 am

TripTrip wrote:
hoogs23 wrote:Which law schools have the richest students or parents attending them?
lolwut
i said the same thing in my head

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:45 am

I don't understand why this would be important or how anyone would possibly know, but I'll bite anyway. It's SMU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:47 am

Borg wrote:I don't understand why this would be important or how anyone would possibly know, but I'll bite anyway. It's SMU.
Beat me to it. Dammit.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:49 am

I'm going to go with Harvard. No question that, in aggregate, it's got the richest students of any law school.

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:57 am

bdubs wrote:I'm going to go with Harvard. No question that, in aggregate, it's got the richest students of any law school.
By aggregate do you mean that you're including alumni? If not, what's the rationale?

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:00 am

Although I went to SMU UG and experienced the richness thereof, I have to say the students here on the East Coast probably have more money than those Southern Princes and Princesses do.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:02 am

Borg wrote:
bdubs wrote:I'm going to go with Harvard. No question that, in aggregate, it's got the richest students of any law school.
By aggregate do you mean that you're including alumni? If not, what's the rationale?
It's one of the largest top law schools with over 550 students per class. Those students generally came from top undergrads and did extremely well there which is generally correlated with having wealthy parents.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:03 am

Stanford4Me wrote:Although I went to SMU UG and experienced the richness thereof, I have to say the students here on the East Coast probably have more money than those Southern Princes and Princesses do.

The Audi R8 and the Gallardo in the student garage that almost got into an accident the other day disagree with you.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:29 am

Getting that dual JD/MR(S) degree?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:46 am

probably H. They have the worst need based aid of the T3

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:46 am

OP is a gold digger. HTH

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:47 am

JamMasterJ wrote:probably H. They have the worst need based aid of the T3
What qualifies one for need based aid? How do you know if you'll get it?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:47 am

nmop_apisdn wrote:
need

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:50 am

bdubs wrote:
Borg wrote:
It's one of the largest top law schools with over 550 students per class. Those students generally came from top undergrads and did extremely well there which is generally correlated with having wealthy parents.
I don't necessarily disagree, but I have a couple of thoughts. The first is that there is a question of whether we are discussing the median or the total. If it's the total, then I agree that the large class size and likely outliers probably puts Harvard squarely in first place. If it's the median, I wonder if the meritocracy works against it. As a student at one of HSCNCP who grew up far from rich, I know that there are a lot of people like me at my school. Wealth might help, but you really have to bust your ass to get into a school like that, and a lot of people both rich and poor don't have what it takes. The average Harvard undergrad only gets about a 165 LSAT, which isn't even close to good enough to get into HLS.

Schools with more reasonable GPA and LSAT medians have fatter sections of the curve from which to choose, and some of those schools have reputations as rich kid havens (USC, Vanderbilt, and SMU come to mind). I wonder if rich kids who aren't T-14 material (including Ivy undergrads) tend to flock to those schools over their peers, inflating the median income level. No way to know, but it would be interesting to see.

Anyway, I guess this is just a long way of saying that I'm guessing and can't offer anything of real value.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:51 am

Idk some of these small schools might surprise you.
Last edited by AreJay711 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:06 am

Borg wrote:
bdubs wrote:
Borg wrote:
I don't necessarily disagree, but I have a couple of thoughts. The first is that there is a question of whether we are discussing the median or the total. If it's the total, then I agree that the large class size and likely outliers probably puts Harvard squarely in first place. If it's the median, I wonder if the meritocracy works against it. As a student at one of HSCNCP who grew up far from rich, I know that there are a lot of people like me at my school. Wealth might help, but you really have to bust your ass to get into a school like that, and a lot of people both rich and poor don't have what it takes. The average Harvard undergrad only gets about a 165 LSAT, which isn't even close to good enough to get into HLS.

Schools with more reasonable GPA and LSAT medians have fatter sections of the curve from which to choose, and some of those schools have reputations as rich kid havens (USC, Vanderbilt, and SMU come to mind). I wonder if rich kids who aren't T-14 material (including Ivy undergrads) tend to flock to those schools over their peers, inflating the median income level. No way to know, but it would be interesting to see.

Anyway, I guess this is just a long way of saying that I'm guessing and can't offer anything of real value.
I think the (vast?) majority of ivy league UG kids went to "feeder" high schools that were either private and extremely elite or public and in very wealthy areas. This might be a biased view from the subset of students I know from ivys though. In addition, there are studies that show that students which come from "disadvantaged" backgrounds tend to, in a statistical sense, struggle to do well at elite schools.

But by the time we get to HLS I guess we're talking about the people who placed in the top 15% (maybe higher?) of their graduating classes and then scored in the 99.8th percentile on the LSAT. So that larger sample from UG might sort itself out into something a bit more merit based.

ksllaw

Bronze

Post by ksllaw » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:18 am

At the elite universities, only 8% of all students come from the bottom 50% of the socio-economic class in the U.S. Nobel Laureate economist, Joseph Stiglitz, discusses this, along with other issues relating to economic inequality in the U.S., in this brief clip/chat (about his new book, The Price of Inequality):

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ti ... 38674.html

Stiglitz argues that there's a myth of socio-economic mobility in the U.S. Rather than being the great land of opportunity, he argues, the U.S. has a more rigid class structure than even old Europe. By and large, the class you are born into in the U.S. is the one you will remain in.

As for law school inequality, I think that while merit may play a greater role in law school entrance than in undergraduate admissions, it may still be difficult to completely decouple "merit" from family wealth.

The types of resources available to the wealthy can give them advantages throughout life and throughout the "merit" building process (of attaining grades and entrance exam scores). Access to private tutors and better schools throughout secondary school, for example, may have contributed signficantly to the building up a stronger set of skills that were used to attain better grades in UG. Likewise, access to expensive LSAT prep courses may have given a wealthy student an advantage over someone without the means to pay for that type of help (I do know that people attempt the LSAT without such private tutoring and training). Perhaps the most valuable asset provided by wealth is simply the time available to study that working students may not have as much of.

There are a number of things that wealth may provide that contributes to the success of a student, so that I think it's still difficult to completely decouple wealth from merit in law school admissions.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:00 am

I'm gonna go with NYLS: the vast majority of the student body has no problem pissing $50k/year down the toilet, so they got to be rich

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

teachmehowtoraji

Bronze

Post by teachmehowtoraji » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:54 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
need

:lol:

ksllaw

Bronze

Post by ksllaw » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:59 am

dingbat wrote:I'm gonna go with NYLS: the vast majority of the student body has no problem pissing $50k/year down the toilet, so they got to be rich
I can't tell if you're joking or not, but I believe it's more likely that misinformation is the cause of student attendance (at full-tuition) at those types of law schools (ones with high cost of attendance and poor job prospects).

Otherwise, by your initial logic, we would probably be better off identifying schools like Cooley as the place which has the most wealthy students. But, from testimonial evidence, it appears that many students who attended Cooley were simply misinformed or uninformed about their prospects of obtaining high-paying employment after graduation. These weren't necessarily rich students who went there.

I'm not sure if there is an analogue to this situation with law schools, but in undergraduate education, the low ranking, for-profit types of schools (such as, University of Phoenix) often "prey" on the poor (and minorities).

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:16 am

ksllaw wrote:
dingbat wrote:I'm gonna go with NYLS: the vast majority of the student body has no problem pissing $50k/year down the toilet, so they got to be rich
I can't tell if you're joking or not,
I would sincerely hope that no one took this seriously, but:
Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:28 am

ksllaw wrote:
I can't tell if you're joking or not
He's not joking. NYLS students got bling bling. It's actually ranked #0 on USNWR, but you have to pay $300,000 to access those rankings. Only rich people know it's the best.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”