How screwed am I for C&F/going back to my law school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
throw-away-soon
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: How screwed am I for C&F/going back to my law school?

Postby throw-away-soon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:05 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
throw-away-soon wrote:...

My cousin was allowed in despite having a mental health diagnosis after being off medications for over a year. I know several people with much worse criminal records who were allowed in. Yeah, a combination of these things isn't good, but it's wrong that the military can legally discriminate. Sure, you can make the argument that people with mental health problems could go on a shooting rampage or something, but that's such an unlikely scenerio. I don't know of any person with my diagnosis who went on a shooting spree. Those people typically have personality disorders or PTSD, I don't have either. Mine isn't linked to violence.

The government can't disqualify people for disabilities or health conditions, nor can any employer, yet the military can, even in non combat positions? In non combat zones? I think that's highly hypocritical, especially when we NEED people in the military.

The only reason I don't want combat is I don't morally agree with the current military invasions, and am not really down with shooting people like that. I don't give a fuck about getting shot or blown up, I have done plenty of dangerous things, risked my life plenty of times, si don't try to imply I'ma coward because I don't want to run around the dessert shooting random people who are defending their country after we invaded because they had WMDs...a lot of the people fighting aginst US combat soilders aren't pyscho terrorists bent on killing innocent American civilians. IPeople who stick needles in their arms and whereever else there's a vein daily for years, been involved with gang activity, and have suicide attempts usually aren't afraid of danger...so I think that bit was truly an idiotic assumption. Not wanting to kill people for a living is different than being scared of getting shot.


1. We don't need you. The military is massively overstaffed and is trying to shed very qualified officers and enlisted, they certainly do not want people who don't realize that the war in Iraq has been over for more than a year or think being in the military is "killing people for a living"

2. Having served next to drug users and gang members before, most of you are the biggest pussies around who either go missing before deployments or beg the real men to break your legs so you don't have to deploy (with one notable exception)

3. Who with PTSD is going on rampages?

4. The military doesn't owe you a career. Its under no obligation to be fair or not discriminate towards you, it doesn't reflect democratic values, it protects themn.

5. If you go to law school, you are going to have a relapse, you may not be using, but you are not sober.



Lol someone has some serious issues...

Hmm...don't snipers literally get paid to kill people?
You don't remember the sniper and fellow veteran that just got capped at the shooting range by a guy with PTSD? There are plenty of people w PTSD who have killed people. Google if you don't believe me.

When did I say I was "entitled" to be in the military? You prick. I said the military should operate other public institutions...learn to read.

The definition of relapse is a return to active use. So you can't relapse of you don't go back to using, moron.

Most of us? So you know most gang members and addicts in the world? Get over yourself. Just because you got paid to run around with weapons meant to kill others doesn't make you courageous, brave, or a good person.

I wonder if there's a correlation with self esteem issues and the likelihood of owning a gun or becoming a cop/enlisting...
There are plenty of sober, non addict military pussies who have dishonorable discharges. There's plenty sober AWOL Ex military people who got cold feet and were never in a gang, so get off your high hourse.

I shake thinking moronic assholes like you are "protecting my freedom." But then again, maybe since you're the main representative of Americans in places like Iraq and Afghanistan, that's why they're not too fond of us...

Wow, you're an ass.

How do you know I'm going to relapse? Can you see in to the future or something? Maybe you should get a reality show like the medium and make bank!

throw-away-soon
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: How screwed am I for C&F/going back to my law school?

Postby throw-away-soon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:10 pm

It's also scaring that someone with such obvious anger problems is in the military...you're attitude demonstrates a higher likelihood of ending in violence than mine. But I did read a stat that 80% of infiltry/military combat personnel had personality disorders, and the other 20% developed or have PTSD. I wonder which one you fit in...

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: How screwed am I for C&F/going back to my law school?

Postby LRGhost » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:20 pm

throw-away-soon wrote:It's also scaring that someone with such obvious anger problems is in the military...you're attitude demonstrates a higher likelihood of ending in violence than mine. But I did read a stat that 80% of infiltry/military combat personnel had personality disorders, and the other 20% developed or have PTSD. I wonder which one you fit in...


Here dude, I'll be honest with you. I don't know if you're flame or not, but I'll assume not because your situation isn't so unusual and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

You're getting a negative response because literally everyone's reply that doesn't sit in line with whatever preconceived notion you have of your future, you discard. And that's fine, but you come here asking for advice. You say you ONLY want advice for C&F. Here it is: Talk to a C&F lawyer. Nobody here is qualified to give you professional advice. That's the end of the conversation. Period. If you want to talk about other stuff, and you have, then by all means go for it. I support you getting better and I'll help you however I can. But if you start talking about law school chances, then people are going to comment on that.

You said you want advice for law school. I'm telling you not to go. Why? Because you won't get a job. You're going to go to a shitty school and graduate with SERIOUS C&F issues. Arrests come up on background checks even if you're not convicted. All of this, however shitty it is, will count against you. Where ever you go, we're talking 20% of grads getting legal jobs. Why would anyone ever hire the addict with mental problems and chronic insomnia who had to drop out of LS because of it? This is the harsh reality. You asked for advice so here it is.

Don't go.

You can argue against it, you can talk up 'crystal balls' and 'psychics' and shit, but you came here looking for opinions. I'm sorry that not everyone is going to coddle you.

You deny that you are ill due to semantics. Cool.

You're mentally ill. Is that any better? You're bipolar, or at least manic. You have problems with addiction. But you claim that you don't and only have problems 'managing' yourself. Okay. Spin it however you want. You're sick and you need help. You're getting it and you're getting better, but you're far from healthy. You'll get there, but believing you've made it before you do will just make you fuck up again.

Good luck.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: How screwed am I for C&F/going back to my law school?

Postby SemperLegal » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:21 am

throw-away-soon wrote:

Lol someone has some serious issues...

Hmm...don't snipers literally get paid to kill people?


No they get paid to look at things, hence the name Scout-Sniper. If they are pulling the trigger, it normally means someone screwed up. Actually going out on an emplacement with the intent of killing a person is about .001% of the job. They are an intelligence asset, not an operations asset.

throw-away-soon wrote:
You don't remember the sniper and fellow veteran that just got capped at the shooting range by a guy with PTSD? There are plenty of people w PTSD who have killed people. Google if you don't believe me.


According to the VA and the NY Times, .0005% of veterans with PTSD commit killings, and a third of those are suicides or invluntary manslaughter [/quote]

throw-away-soon wrote:
When did I say I was "entitled" to be in the military? You prick. I said the military should operate other public institutions...learn to read.


It doesn't have to let you in even if your really "think that's highly hypocritical," because it doesn't give a damn about your opinion. They swear to defend the Constitution, but only to obey the President and the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

throw-away-soon wrote:
The definition of relapse is a return to active use. So you can't relapse of you don't go back to using, moron.


You WILL relapse, you ARE not using, but you ARE not sober. HTH

throw-away-soon wrote:
Most of us? So you know most gang members and addicts in the world? Get over yourself. Just because you got paid to run around with weapons meant to kill others doesn't make you courageous, brave, or a good person.


I know enough that I don't want them next to me in a fighting hole when they don't have enough discipline get anything more than a few months of sobriety strung together.

I never said I was a good person (and I never run, shits heavy), but I am very good at being a Marine and turning other people into Marines.

throw-away-soon wrote:
I wonder if there's a correlation with self esteem issues and the likelihood of owning a gun or becoming a cop/enlisting...


Probably.



throw-away-soon wrote: There are plenty of sober, non addict military pussies who have dishonorable discharges. There's plenty sober AWOL Ex military people who got cold feet and were never in a gang, so get off your high hourse.


And they are shitbags, doesn't mean that we have to add more people with a propensity of quitting when things get rough, at least until they've shown that they changed.

throw-away-soon wrote:
I shake thinking moronic assholes like you are "protecting my freedom." But then again, maybe since you're the main representative of Americans in places like Iraq and Afghanistan, that's why they're not too fond of us...

Wow, you're an ass.


I got babies named after me, and bounties for my life, on three different continents. At least I am making an impression.

throw-away-soon wrote:
How do you know I'm going to relapse? Can you see in to the future or something? Maybe you should get a reality show like the medium and make bank!


Because I have been working on my own substance abuse problems, and helping others deal substance abuse, for quite a while now. Your defensiveness whenever people try to answer your questions, or give advice, speaks volumes.


But to answer your original question: Very.

throw-away-soon
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: How screwed am I for C&F/going back to my law school?

Postby throw-away-soon » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:28 pm

Wow. That was the most compelling, convincing response I've heard. You've completely changed my mind.

You are so amazing to have babies named after you and bounties on you, you must able a great person. Especially if people want to kill you!

I didn't say ex military with PTSD were sniping people, I said people with PTSD. Check it again if you don't believe me.

No, sober is defined as not using/drinking. The whole aa thing about not being soner because you don't go to meeting at a program based on a hallucination bill w had while have DTs is bullshit. People who buy in to the big book are disillusioned. Helping people because it helps you, not because it help others, is utterly selfish. There is very little logic on the big book or in meetings. It's a bunch of people who think they're experts on addiction because they may or may not have been actual addicts.

Just because you were an addit, doesn't mean you're close to being as qualified as a pysch or physocotherapist. Thinking that is ignorant and narcissistic.

Thinking you know what someone will do in the future, having never met them, is retarded. Unless you actually can see in to the future, you have no idea what I'm going to do in the next hour/day/week/year. You'd think being an "ex addict" would instill that in you, but you seem like one of those aa people who thinks they're capable of running a rehab center and being an Internet therapist. That's pretty sad. If you truly want to help, you just would've left it at if you want advice, pm me. Instead, you just start spewing therapuetic advice and petty insults and stereotypes and think I'm supposed to thank you or take advice from some person I've never met that has no high level education or training in addiction therapy. Obviously thinking addiction is an issue of "self disipline" demonstrates your ignorance of scholarship on the subject. That's absolutely idiotic. It is a medical condition and impacts brain chemistry, and drug use damages the decision making part of your brain. It changes your brain. It's not a matter of self will or discipline in many instances, and is also likely related to underlying mental health conditions, which, again, aren't based on will power.

Try education yourself on addiction before pretending to be a therapist.

Giving unwanted, unqualified advice to people you don't know isn't helpful.

Bragging about people wanting you dead doesn't make you look close to a good person. Insulting fellow soldiers isn't professional, and is very immature.

throw-away-soon
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: How screwed am I for C&F/going back to my law school?

Postby throw-away-soon » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:29 pm

If people don't want to actually answer my question about when and how to disclose the legal issues to the dean, please just don't respond. This is a law school forum for law school advice.

User avatar
Justin Genious
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: How screwed am I for C&F/going back to my law school?

Postby Justin Genious » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:32 pm

throw-away-soon wrote:If people don't want to actually answer my question about when and how to disclose the legal issues to the dean, please just don't respond. This is a law school forum for law school advice.

LRGhost put it most eloquently--See a CF lawyer because no one here can give you the appropriate professional guidance necessary for your situation.

I wish you the best of luck on your road to recovery.

/thread

User avatar
JDndMSW
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:32 am

Re: How screwed am I for C&F/going back to my law school?

Postby JDndMSW » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:04 pm

Plot twist: what about how the government is using affirmative action hiring for people with mental illness (schedule A)? Can this help OP?

throw-away-soon
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: How screwed am I for C&F/going back to my law school?

Postby throw-away-soon » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:05 pm

JDndMSW wrote:Plot twist: what about how the government is using affirmative action hiring for people with mental illness (schedule A)? Can this help OP?



I don't support AA or any program or hiring procedure that gives people with an illness/condition or that belong to a certain race preference. I think the only thing that should matter is your qualifications/resume. I don't think being a woman or having a disability should give me bonus points for getting hired or in a school. I just don't think I should be an auto reject because I have a mental illness.

But, I think that private companies should be allowed to do whatever they want, even though I'm not down with discrimination (I've Been a victim of it plenty of times, whether it was my gender [My part time jobs are in the sports industry so I'm in a male dominated field. I'm going to be the youngest female with a certain license in my half of the state, that has Also played on college and stuff]).

I don't think it's right to ding people for qualities people can't choose. Addiction is a choice though, and I think insurance companies have the right to up my insurance because of that, and for smoking, but not for my mental health condition).

I had my formal arraignment, they added a charge, refused to tell me when it was added, told me to talk to my lawyer. They wouldn't tell me who my pd is, and the pd office told me they'd send a paralegal, and they didn't. The pd said to call back in a week to find out who my pd is.

The private attorney would be about $1k and would get me ard.

vinnnyvincenzo
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: How screwed am I for C&F/going back to my law school?

Postby vinnnyvincenzo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:55 pm

throw-away-soon wrote:
LRGhost wrote:
throw-away-soon wrote:
So, please stop giving unsolicited advice, and just focus on the law school part questions, as this is a law school forum...


Don't go to law school. You won't get a job.


While you're at it, what are the lottery numbers for tonight?


I see youve dismissed this but you shouldnt. First off, you are talking of going to a TT or TTTT which people here would talk you down from even if you had a squeaky clean record just based on job prospects at those schools for any graduate. Second, why would a law firm hire you anyway? You are quite frankly a liability with your documented issues and there are thousands of kids who dont have your baggage, graduated from better schools and are going to be applying to the same jobs as you who are safer picks.

throw-away-soon
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: How screwed am I for C&F/going back to my law school?

Postby throw-away-soon » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:09 pm

Justin Genious wrote:
throw-away-soon wrote:If people don't want to actually answer my question about when and how to disclose the legal issues to the dean, please just don't respond. This is a law school forum for law school advice.

LRGhost put it most eloquently--See a CF lawyer because no one here can give you the appropriate professional guidance necessary for your situation.

I wish you the best of luck on your road to recovery.

/thread


Thanks!

throw-away-soon
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: How screwed am I for C&F/going back to my law school?

Postby throw-away-soon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:40 pm

Talked to a C&F attorney, offered everything pro bono. Talked to the dean, they're letting me back with my scholarship. C&F attorney got me one of the top defense attorney's in the city (pro bono), and 2 charges should getting dropped and I'll get probation for 30 days instead of 6 months, then the charges will be expunged after 30 days and the arrest record will be erased. He knows the judge and said it's pretty much taken care of, just need to sign some papers. Really nice guy.

So everything looks like it will work out. I may defer if I get a fellowship with the second largest county in my state, otherwise I'll be going to the best regional school with under $40,000 in debt. If OVR comes through and pays for up to $10,000, my debt will go down to $30,000. 90% of students keep their scholarships, and I'm eligible for federal financial aid in the fall.

Seeing how great some attorney's are and how nice and helpful they are is nice, especially given the caliber of the ones who helped me out, considering so many law students are intolerable.

throw-away-soon
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: How screwed am I for C&F/going back to my law school?

Postby throw-away-soon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:46 pm

throw-away-soon wrote:Talked to a C&F attorney, offered everything pro bono. Talked to the dean, they're letting me back with my scholarship. C&F attorney got me one of the top defense attorney's in the city (pro bono), and 2 charges should getting dropped and I'll get probation for 30 days instead of 6 months, then the charges will be expunged after 30 days and the arrest record will be erased. He knows the judge and said it's pretty much taken care of, just need to sign some papers. Really nice guy.

So everything looks like it will work out. I may defer if I get a fellowship with the second largest county in my state, otherwise I'll be going to the best regional school with under $40,000 in debt. If OVR comes through and pays for up to $10,000, my debt will go down to $30,000. 90% of students keep their scholarships, and I'm eligible for federal financial aid in the fall.

Seeing how great some attorney's are and how nice and helpful they are is nice, especially given the caliber of the ones who helped me out, considering so many law students are intolerable.


Had a mild anxiety attack in court. Didn't realize there would be such an audience. I got the shortest probation term of anyone in the room (25 people). The judge railed at me for not answering questions in unison, but backed off when she saw how bad I stutter.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests