Should I Switch My Major For GPA???

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
WhiteyCakes

Re: Should I Switch My Major For GPA???

Postby WhiteyCakes » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:24 am

rad lulz wrote:Major in something useful so you can get a fucking job

TCR

lawhaus

Postby lawhaus » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:34 am

rad lulz wrote:Major in something useful so you can get a fucking job

major in something useful in case law school doesn't work out for you

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:49 pm

rad lulz wrote:Major in something stupid so you can get a good GPA and go to a decent fucking law school, since there are no jobs for undergrads

ftfy.

armenazo

Postby armenazo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:19 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Major in something stupid so you can get a good GPA and go to a decent fucking law school, since there are no jobs for undergrads

ftfy.

I'll never understand how people sincerely believe that since there are no jobs for undergraduates, it's a better idea to "wait the recession out" in graduate school, and double - or in some cases triple - down on their student loan debt, in hopes that the job market will be more open in the future.

It seems likely to me that if you couldn't get a job relevant to your interests after college, you're probably not going to hustle for a job in your legal career. Additionally, going to Law School limits your options to strictly one profession, namely "lawyer." A motivated undergraduate with relevant work experience can, with certain rare exceptions, basically do anything they want that does not strictly require a graduate degree, and in some cases, even that can waived.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:23 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:

ftfy.

I suggest you immolate yourself

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:31 pm

Lasers wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:The thing with the liberal arts classes (as opposed to STEM) is that if you have half a brain and give a good faith effort, you're not going to get a *bad* grade. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's easy to get a straight A, either.

this is very true.

+1

OBAMAdeception wrote:Major in a language, it's useful, easy and fun.

This is very untrue.

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:51 pm

armenazo wrote:A motivated undergraduate with relevant work experience can, with certain rare exceptions, basically do anything they want that does not strictly require a graduate degree, and in some cases, even that can waived.

Sorry, but not so much. Having applied for literally every GS-5/7 position in the federal government at one point, getting an 100 (perfectly qualified) NOR on almost all of them, and not even getting an interview because 2,000+ people had applied for the same jobs is a bit disheartening. Plus, "relevant work experience" isn't an option when you can't get a job in your field right out of undergrad, regardless.

/anecdotal

rad lulz wrote:I suggest you immolate yourself

that would hurt D:

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:53 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
armenazo wrote:A motivated undergraduate with relevant work experience can, with certain rare exceptions, basically do anything they want that does not strictly require a graduate degree, and in some cases, even that can waived.

Sorry, but not so much. Having applied for literally every GS-5/7 position in the federal government at one point, getting an 100 (perfectly qualified) NOR on almost all of them, and not even getting an interview because 2,000+ people had applied for the same jobs is a bit disheartening. Plus, "relevant work experience" isn't an option when you can't get a job in your field right out of undergrad, regardless.

/anecdotal

I used to refuse to believe it, but it really comes down to who do you know to get your foot in the door.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:09 pm

You don't need to move to something useless to help your GPA.

It might make sense not to double-major in two tough courses if you can boost your GPA in one as a result. Grad-school is likely for many undergrads, not just law school, and they'll all be looking at your GPA.

Like others said, unless your are hell bent on being a lawyer, don't switch to something that leaves you no other option upon graduation. That said, do keep an eye on your GPA and how your course choices are likely to affect it.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:26 pm

Aawaldrop wrote:I used to refuse to believe it, but it really comes down to who do you do to get your foot in the door.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:36 pm

BengaliFarmGirl wrote:Good luck finding a major easier than poli sci.

Communications or Sociology - although in terms of being easier it all depends on how you schedule your classes and the profs. Go to rate my professor and and sort your entire university by easiness. Take those classes.

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:55 pm

dingbat wrote:
Aawaldrop wrote:I used to refuse to believe it, but it really comes down to who do you do to get your foot in the door.

Face palm though this is more humorous.
"comes down to who you know"

armenazo

Postby armenazo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:04 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:

/anecdotal

And who do you think got all of those positions? Candidates with doctorates, or Nobel Prize laureates?

Your example affirms my point: you applied for a position where 2,000+ people applied for (I assume) one, very prestigious position. Your application represented 0.05% of the pile, assuming you had no contacts. If that's not rare, I don't know what is.

My point is simple: graduate education is not always the answer in this contracted job market.

dingbat wrote:

This.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:12 pm

Aawaldrop wrote:
dingbat wrote:

Face palm though this is more humorous.
"comes down to who you know"

you do realize I changed the quote, don't you?

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:30 pm

armenazo wrote:Your example affirms my point: you applied for a position where 2,000+ people applied for (I assume) one, very prestigious position. Your application represented 0.05% of the pile, assuming you had no contacts. If that's not rare, I don't know what is.

Don't want to derail the thread too much, but bad assumption; the specific example I'm thinking of was entry level contracting at 22k-34k a year. (though anything with the feds at a GS-5 is about this level) Fairly run of the mill. The only requirement was having a bachelor's degree. I didn't have any contacts in the agencies.

The problem is, of course, would an employer rather have a new college grad, or a college grad with four years of experience in the field? It's a vicious cycle right now, since the new college grads can't get jobs to get experience.

This isn't a pity party; I got a job where I did have contacts, but I have plenty of friends that come from rougher neighborhoods where the most well-off person they know is a night clerk at a supermarket. At least with law school, if you can get into a decent school and not completely screw up, you'll be employed in a legal field come graduation time.

Out of curiosity, excluding STEM(+compy sci) folks, does anyone actually think their major made the difference in getting them their current job?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:33 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Out of curiosity, excluding STEM(+compy sci) folks, does anyone actually think their major made the difference in getting them their current job?

My UG major once helped me get a temp job and once got me an interview (for a job I turned down)
However, it had nothing to do with my career since then

armenazo

Postby armenazo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:29 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:At least with law school, if you can get into a decent school and not completely screw up, you'll be employed in a legal field come graduation time.

Yes, these people should go to law school. However the italicized represents a circumstance out of the applicants control prior to receiving grades 3 months after the first day of law school - at which point the student is committed to a large financial decision, and will likely be biased in their judgment. As such, the italicized should have no basis in the decision of whether or not a person who can't find a job in the work force after graduating college should go to law school.

alfie678

Postby alfie678 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:29 pm

thanks for some good advice.

overall im pretty sure im going to law school and by that i mean, I am 100% going to law school unless I get rejected by every school in the top 25. (in which case I might just seppuku and go out with some honor)

I agree that I thought taking the general PSYCH 101 Russian Studies 101 would be cake for me and in a way they are. But i just keep falling short of that A sometimes.

I am really considering switching to an education major now. Like why not? I know im not gonna get a job out of undergrad, I will either go to law school, graduate school, or actually just be a bum. Lol I have no real skills other than, 1. able to write a good academic essay. 2. Able to read a lot.

I think I should end up with around a 3.7 no matter what. I just have to focus on my LSAT more now and really get that 170. I was just hoping I could cruise through like I did in high school with a 3.9 by taking easy classes. Dick professors caring about learning etc. IM TRYING TO MAKE MONEY TO MAKE YOUR SCHOOL FAMOUS JUST GIVE ME AN A.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:30 pm

Undergraduate major only matters for a few fields (usually science or engineering related and, to a lesser extent, accounting). Most entry-level positions don't require a specific major. School, internship/prior work experience, and school location matter far more, along with the "who you know" element already discussed.

As for getting high grades, pick a major you actually like, because then the work will come more easily. I got a ton of A minuses in undergrad because I took a lot of seminars wherein the professors rarely, if ever, gave regular A's. I also took a lot of math classes, though, because I like math. In those, the grading was objective. If I got all of the questions right, I would get an A, which I did in 3 out of 4. If you hate math, though, you'll probably struggle to do the work to get that objective A.

tl;dr: pick a major that you like that has mostly objectively grades classes. Or just pick a major you like, period.

radar714

Postby radar714 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:05 pm

Not sure where you go to school, but definitely consider Communications.

At USC, Comm majors had not only the easiest curriculum & lowest levels of competition, they also had access to the best career services office on campus. Many of my friends just picked up a comm major and doubled in addition to their original track in order to boost their GPAs and it worked out incredibly well for them.

Not only did they finish with 3.8+ writing papers about the increasing attention to female asses in music videos (I swear to god I'm not making that up, my friend actually wrote her final paper on this, and yes, she got an A) they also were able to scoop up incredible internships that led to actual full-time employment upon graduation.

easy choice my friend

Gunnar Stahl

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:04 pm

Last edited by Gunnar Stahl on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andres

Postby andres » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:11 pm

Major in public health. It's an upcoming field that encompasses various topics, including policy, economics, statistics, and of course health. It's fairly easy as well.

Return to “Law School FAQ”