Should I Switch My Major For GPA???

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
alfie678

Should I Switch My Major For GPA???

Postby alfie678 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:38 pm

Okay well I am currently in a state of mourning. I received my first semester sophomore year grades back and needless to say they arent what I thought. I got a 3.6 which pulls my cumulative down to a 3.65.

I thought I had a fairly easy major in Political Science, but it is starting to look pretty grim in terms of me reaching a 3.8+.... I work hard in school and have been an A student mostly. Now either two things are happening, either I am just an idiot who can't write anymore, or these damn profs in my major just WONT give As. I have gotten 6 A-'s in total now.

So my question is, should I switch to something not so subjective (i.e. profs saying "oh no, what do you mean? you did amazing on this paper. My A- means very good.) Like i have turned in crap the night before or a three draft version and either way they are B+/A- work simply because "hur durr i fight grade inflation, learning is more important"

Bronck

Re: Should I Switch My Major For GPA???

Postby Bronck » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:45 pm

If you can find a major in which you genuinely think you can get higher grades, yes. Political Science is completely useless anyway -- departments don't even teach you how to write well.

Also, take lots of easy classes outside of your major.

BengaliFarmGirl

Postby BengaliFarmGirl » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:49 pm

Good luck finding a major easier than poli sci.

alfie678

Postby alfie678 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:57 pm

BengaliFarmGirl wrote:Good luck finding a major easier than poli sci.

exactly what I thought. so either I am just getting dumber or...? hah.

I think I will try film considering I actually enjoy it and they give out As like nothing.

BengaliFarmGirl

Postby BengaliFarmGirl » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:05 pm

alfie678 wrote:

I think I will try film considering I actually enjoy it and they give out As like nothing.

Dumber than what? You are a sophomore in college. High school is baby shit. And Freshman gen eds are super easy.

Film sounds better than poli sci to me. Accounting is easy, objective and real. Maybe do that.

eric922

Postby eric922 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:03 pm

If you like writing, English is a good one. I wish I had gone with that instead of Journalism.

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:12 pm

Can't go wrong with a Physics major.

Serious mode: I would talk to other classmates in your classes and those a year ahead of you in Poli Sci to see if you just had a few tough professors or this would be the norm. In that same vein, whatever major you are in you should definitely research the professors before hand and tailor your schedule accordingly. Also, really buckle down and dedicate yourself to your classes starting now and make an effort to get one on one time with professors that you may have trouble with. Nothing earth shattering but solid nonetheless.

Also explore, I've changed my mind a couple of times what I want to do after graduation. Figure out what you want and really put in the effort.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:38 pm

Don't change your major to film. It would be a waste of money unless that is like your dream. At least you can trick an employer into thinking a pol. sc. degree is useful.

eric922

Postby eric922 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:30 pm

Aawaldrop wrote:Can't go wrong with a Physics major.

Serious mode: I would talk to other classmates in your classes and those a year ahead of you in Poli Sci to see if you just had a few tough professors or this would be the norm. In that same vein, whatever major you are in you should definitely research the professors before hand and tailor your schedule accordingly. Also, really buckle down and dedicate yourself to your classes starting now and make an effort to get one on one time with professors that you may have trouble with. Nothing earth shattering but solid nonetheless.

Also explore, I've changed my mind a couple of times what I want to do after graduation. Figure out what you want and really put in the effort.

Don't even joke. I love physics, but lord is it hard. I've only take one course, because it was required. I loved it, but if that was my major I would die.

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:39 pm

eric922 wrote:
Aawaldrop wrote:Can't go wrong with a Physics major.

Don't even joke. I love physics, but lord is it hard. I've only take one course, because it was required. I loved it, but if that was my major I would die.

Haha finishing my last semester of double degree in Math and Physics. I don't know how I haven't had a few mental breakdowns but luckily my GPA is in good shape.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:40 pm

BengaliFarmGirl wrote: Accounting is easy, objective and real. Maybe do that.

I hated accounting and sucked at it (nearly failed it in UG)
:shock: I'm a finance/numbers guy :shock:
English can be fun and easy, but it's subjective and they make you read some boring ass books. Oh, and whatever you do, do not take "Shakespeare and Feminism"

BengaliFarmGirl

Postby BengaliFarmGirl » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:43 pm

dingbat wrote:

English can be fun and easy, but it's subjective and they make you read some boring ass books. Oh, and whatever you do, do not take "Shakespeare and Feminism"

You probably hated it so much you didn't give it a good attempt.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:48 pm

BengaliFarmGirl wrote:
dingbat wrote:

You probably hated it so much you didn't give it a good attempt.

It's not math, it's being systemicpedantic. If you're good at following very specific rules and doing everything according to a rigid system, its easy, but if you have a more chaoticdisorganized mind, it's a nightmare

cynthiad

Postby cynthiad » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:49 pm

alfie678 wrote:

I would be wary of assuming that film is easy. I took Intro to Film for an art requirement, and it was really hard. On the midterm paper, they didn't give out a single A in a class of 50 students. I worked my ass off on both papers, did an "optional" extra credit project, and wound up with a B+. I got a better grade in Physics. I'm not kidding.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:51 pm

cynthiad wrote:
alfie678 wrote:

I would be wary of assuming that film is easy. I took Intro to Film for an art requirement, and it was really hard. On the midterm paper, they didn't give out a single A in a class of 50 students. I worked my ass off on both papers, did an "optional" extra credit project, and wound up with a B+. I got a better grade in Physics. I'm not kidding.

Film studies also involves a good deal of analysis and is also subjective (not to mention the fact that you might not like the films they make you study)

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:54 pm

Education might be an option if you really wanted to switch.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:56 am

I think the easiest majors are Communications and Liberal Studies.

Liberal Studies you basically take whatever you want in different departments.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:06 am

Major in something useful so you can get a fucking job

OBAMAdeception

Postby OBAMAdeception » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:03 am

Major in a language, it's useful, easy and fun.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:18 am

cynthiad wrote:
alfie678 wrote:

holy shit, this.

i swear, the so called "easy" gen ed classes were graded ridiculously harsh. i remember i had a 3.3 gpa after my first year because of film and other ge classes. i averaged a 3.9 the rest of the 3 years of college taking mostly poli sci and soc classes.

tbh, poli sci wasn't all that easy, but most of the sociology classes i took were a joke.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:34 am

The thing with the liberal arts classes (as opposed to STEM) is that if you have half a brain and give a good faith effort, you're not going to get a *bad* grade. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's easy to get a straight A, either.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:36 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:The thing with the liberal arts classes (as opposed to STEM) is that if you have half a brain and give a good faith effort, you're not going to get a *bad* grade. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's easy to get a straight A, either.

this is very true.

armenazo

Postby armenazo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:44 am

rad lulz wrote:Major in something useful so you can get a fucking job

This. What if you graduate college and decide you don't want to go to law school. Your 4.0 for that B.A. in gender studies isn't going to get you very far.

ricekrispies

Postby ricekrispies » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:37 am

dingbat wrote:

So much of this. I am a total math/numbers guy but Accounting II was TERRIBLE. It very well could have just been my insufferable, terrible, ridiculous professor, but that class alone ruined my semester for me. I had to put so much work in to studying for that class (he didn't teach. At all. The entire class self-taught all year long) that all my other grades slipped slightly. Class average on the final exam was a 62%...the high score was a 78%. No curve.

Gunnar Stahl

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 am

Last edited by Gunnar Stahl on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School FAQ”