How Much do Softs Really Matter?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
John Mill

How Much do Softs Really Matter?

Postby John Mill » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:51 pm

So my goal is to go to a T6 school, my goal atm is Columbia, but I would be happy attending any of them. I've got about three years of UG left, and atm I'm not enrolled in any kind of extra curricular activities. I've heard the general rule of thumb, that you should do things that interest you, and show leadership, but with my study habits and personal obligations, I just don't have the time for anything like that. So my question is, how much do high ranked schools look at that?

I've heard the unofficial numbers are 50% LSAT, 45% GPA, and 5% other stuff. Does this change for upper T14 schools? If I somehow found myself in the YHS range, would it be a dealbreaker that I don't have any activities or clubs or awards or anything?

Also if anybody has any advice on things I could do that might be looked favorably upon, that would be great!

dingbat

Re: How Much do Softs Really Matter?

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:57 pm

Yes, it matters. Having good softs doesn't help an applicant, because just about everyone has softs, but not having any raises the question "why not?"

SY won't accept you without softs. For other schools it might not matter, but if you're borderline you won't get in.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:02 pm

This topic has been discussed to death, so you should probably do a forum search.

Regardless, softs are very important for YS. They are actually pretty important for H as well, but the declining number of applicants has reduced H's ability to picky with regard to softs without compromising its medians.

CCN should be fine unless your numbers are borderline, in which case softs will matter at the margins.

Case in point: You are still young, so you should have plenty of time to accumulate softs as an upperclassmen. If not, you should have plenty of time to do internships over the summer. If not, you should have a year or two after graduation that you can use to gain work experience. Problem solved.

You are probably thinking about this way too much way too early, but that's a whole 'nother discussion.

HTH

John Mill

Postby John Mill » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:07 pm

Shooter wrote:
You are probably thinking about this way too much way too early, but that's a whole 'nother discussion.

HTH

Well I took four years off after high school and did pretty much nothing except work at my familys resturant, which I figured probably wouldn't mean much to a law school, so I don't have as much time as the normal UG freshman who's only 19.

Is it only academic achievments and meaningful work experience that YS looks at, or are things like community service/charity work ok too?
Last edited by John Mill on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:09 pm

John Mill wrote:Well I took four years off after college

John Mill wrote: I've got about three years of UG left

:?:

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:09 pm

I'd focus on developing relationships with a couple of professors who down the road will be able to write great LOR's on your behalf.

John Mill

Postby John Mill » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:10 pm

dingbat wrote:
John Mill wrote:Well I took four years off after college

John Mill wrote: I've got about three years of UG left

:?:

Sorry I meant high school

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:27 pm

My "presentable" softs consist of 2 part time retail jobs for 3 and 4 months, and 1 year of membership in a volunteer organization as a member.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/sinfiery

feel free to follow and refresh often. thanks

Return to “Law School FAQ”