..

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
thomasyin2
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:45 pm

..

Postby thomasyin2 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:23 pm

..
Last edited by thomasyin2 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: "Law school interest" on application, should you lie?

Postby stillwater » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:27 pm

lie as much as possible. adcoms are crooks and dont deserve the truth.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: "Law school interest" on application, should you lie?

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:37 pm

Just leave it blank.

User avatar
DCDuck
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:27 pm

Re: "Law school interest" on application, should you lie?

Postby DCDuck » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:39 pm

Protip: You're going into the legal profession. Contrary to popular opinion, lawyers must abide by a code of ethics. I think the gist of the code of ethics is along the lines of "don't lie, either professionally or in your private life. Don't boink your clients. And don't commit crimes that will put your moral character in doubt." If you lie, especially on your law school applications ( :roll: ) it will reflect poorly on your character. The lie would be worse than what you are lying about, and it's easy enough to figure it out.

The benefit, if any, is not worth the risk. Start practicing how to get a leg up on the competition without lying and cheating. It's a great skill in any profession.

thomasyin2
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:45 pm

Re: "Law school interest" on application, should you lie?

Postby thomasyin2 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:46 pm

to DC
I completely understand that, and aint that the truth.
On the other hand though, it could technically not be a lie. If say I'm applying 50 schools for argument sake, I could list say like 25 only, then not the other 25, and could explain it by saying by the time I was filling out this very application I wasn't going to add those schools then I changed my mind.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: "Law school interest" on application, should you lie?

Postby cinephile » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:50 pm

DCDuck wrote:Protip: You're going into the legal profession. Contrary to popular opinion, lawyers must abide by a code of ethics. I think the gist of the code of ethics is along the lines of "don't lie, either professionally or in your private life. Don't boink your clients. And don't commit crimes that will put your moral character in doubt." If you lie, especially on your law school applications ( :roll: ) it will reflect poorly on your character. The lie would be worse than what you are lying about, and it's easy enough to figure it out.

The benefit, if any, is not worth the risk. Start practicing how to get a leg up on the competition without lying and cheating. It's a great skill in any profession.


Lol. This is the funniest thing I've heard on TLS. Kudos.

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: "Law school interest" on application, should you lie?

Postby nickb285 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:52 pm

If the app says "List every school to which you're applying" and makes the question mandatory, then DCDuck is correct.

If the app says anything else or makes the question optional, DCDuck is incorrect.

By and large the question is optional, and declining to answer it isn't a "lie" or somehow unethical.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: "Law school interest" on application, should you lie?

Postby IAFG » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:56 pm

I didn't list all the schools on all my apps because it was annoying

hope that doesn't come back to bite me, I should probably ask NU for a copy of my app.

exitoptions
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:58 am

Re: "Law school interest" on application, should you lie?

Postby exitoptions » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:01 pm

IAFG wrote:I didn't list all the schools on all my apps because it was annoying

hope that doesn't come back to bite me, I should probably ask NU for a copy of my app.


Pro tip - keep copies of all your apps so you can keep your lies and ommissions straight.

thomasyin2
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:45 pm

Re: "Law school interest" on application, should you lie?

Postby thomasyin2 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:16 pm

good protip above

User avatar
LexLeon
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: "Law school interest" on application, should you lie?

Postby LexLeon » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:09 pm

Act only on a maxim if you may at the same time rationally will that it become a universal law.

User avatar
hichvichwoh
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:21 am

Re: "Law school interest" on application, should you lie?

Postby hichvichwoh » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:56 pm

LexLeon wrote:Act only on a maxim if you may at the same time rationally will that it become a universal law.


no, stop, please.

User avatar
ehall20
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:48 am

Re: "Law school interest" on application, should you lie?

Postby ehall20 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:31 am

.
Last edited by ehall20 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
suralin
better than you
Posts: 15092
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:52 am

Re: "Law school interest" on application, should you lie?

Postby suralin » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:45 am

LexLeon wrote:Act only on a maxim if you may at the same time rationally will that it become a universal law.


LOL. Maxim: Whenever asked on a law school application to list other schools one applied to, don't. Universal law with no contradiction: Check.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests