Fulbright Program Worth It?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
trackstar953

Fulbright Program Worth It?

Postby trackstar953 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:57 pm

Is the Fulbright program worth attending if I also get accepted into my top law school choices? I know that it would be nice to add another degree and international experience to my resume and it would also be an awesome experience to live abroad; but at the same time it would delay the end of my schooling by a year and I'm not sure if the extra masters degree would be worth that. Also, since I'll have to apply for both the Fulbright program and law school at the same time, I'm not sure how law schools would feel about me turning down an acceptance only to reapply the next year. I am assuming that most schools won't "hold" a spot for me while waiting for me to complete a Fulbright year abroad.

suralin
better than you

Re: Fulbright Program Worth It?

Postby suralin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:02 am

trackstar953 wrote:Is the Fulbright program worth attending if I also get accepted into my top law school choices? I know that it would be nice to add another degree and international experience to my resume and it would also be an awesome experience to live abroad; but at the same time it would delay the end of my schooling by a year and I'm not sure if the extra masters degree would be worth that. Also, since I'll have to apply for both the Fulbright program and law school at the same time, I'm not sure how law schools would feel about me turning down an acceptance only to reapply the next year. I am assuming that most schools won't "hold" a spot for me while waiting for me to complete a Fulbright year abroad.

Or you could just defer it? I know of at least one person at my UG who is doing that, and he's going to HLS.

dkb17xzx

Postby dkb17xzx » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:04 am

trackstar953 wrote:Is the Fulbright program worth attending if I also get accepted into my top law school choices? I know that it would be nice to add another degree and international experience to my resume and it would also be an awesome experience to live abroad; but at the same time it would delay the end of my schooling by a year and I'm not sure if the extra masters degree would be worth that. Also, since I'll have to apply for both the Fulbright program and law school at the same time, I'm not sure how law schools would feel about me turning down an acceptance only to reapply the next year. I am assuming that most schools won't "hold" a spot for me while waiting for me to complete a Fulbright year abroad.

you can defer school by a year. most schools do that for fulbright scholars. have a friend who did that.

imo, definitely do fulbright. once in a lifetime opportunity. looks great on your resume. you could also save money. and depending on where you go, get to travel to tons of different countries. can't beat that

trackstar953

Postby trackstar953 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:08 am

How does deferment affect scholarships and financing packages from the school? Are those also deferred or does it depend on the school?

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:45 pm

we better not be up for the same fulbright grant.

Return to “Law School FAQ”