Does Tier 1 law schools offer better job prospects?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Will_Imake_it

Re: Does Tier 1 law schools offer better job prospects?

Postby Will_Imake_it » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:05 am

I actually figured that once I have my #s in front of me, I can apply to those schools that admit students with #s identical to mine. Those schools that are still considered tier 1 and where I will have a shot at gaining admission, But you guys are right, it's always about the #s at the end of the day.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:06 am

Will_Imake_it wrote:
Actually I needed to hear those words. One last question, you mentioned less competitive regions; like mid western states?

Its too complicated to just say Midwestern states. Illinois is oversaturated, Iowa isn't. Other regions are the same. Idaho and Utah aren't, but Oregon and Washington are. While you can safely assume that the coasts are probably oversaturated, lumping the other 33 states into one group doesn't work.

My advice would be that if u don't want to wait and retake, then don't just apply where your numbers fit, but also where you have researched the job prospects and more importantly where you have some ties, some connections, to help you get employed. Also, make sure it is somewhere you want to live for the rest of your life.

ETA: and also, the coasts have their own strong regional schools too. I know Temple does reasonably well in Pennsylvania, for instance. You should probably go through these forums carefully, ask some questions, and figure stuff out.

ETAx2: also, for instance UWash in Seattle dominates that market apart from the t14ers headed in.

Will_Imake_it

Postby Will_Imake_it » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:15 am

spleenworship wrote:
Will_Imake_it wrote:
Actually I needed to hear those words. One last question, you mentioned less competitive regions; like mid western states?

Its too complicated to just say Midwestern states. Illinois is oversaturated, Iowa isn't. Other regions are the same. Idaho and Utah aren't, but Oregon and Washington are. While you can safely assume that the coasts are probably oversaturated, lumping the other 33 states into one group doesn't work.

My advice would be that if u don't want to wait and retake, then don't just apply where your numbers fit, but also where you have researched the job prospects and more importantly where you have some ties, some connections, to help you get employed. Also, make sure it is somewhere you want to live for the rest of your life.

ETA: and also, the coasts have their own strong regional schools too. I know Temple does reasonably well in Pennsylvania, for instance. You should probably go through these forums carefully, ask some questions, and figure stuff out.

ETAx2: also, for instance UWash in Seattle dominates that market apart from the t14ers headed in.

cool thanks!!!

debbygilbert

Postby debbygilbert » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:32 am

spam

Will_Imake_it

Postby Will_Imake_it » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:56 pm

debbygilbert wrote:spam

second post and I am spamming?

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:00 pm

Will_Imake_it wrote:
debbygilbert wrote:spam

second post and I am spamming?

No, they were spamming. Their spam got deleted by the mods.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:22 am

Will_Imake_it wrote:
dingbat wrote:With that GPA and the LSAT range you're looking at, you'll probably get into Fordham, at sticker. You'll probably get some money (scholarships) at Cardozo and Brooklyn.

The problem is, Fordham at sticker is risky. It's not a bad school, but including cost of living, you're looking at close to a quarter million dollars. Some people will argue no school is worth that much. Many will say no school outside the T14 is. Only about 20-30% of students are competitive for "biglaw", which pays $160k the first year*. You can expect about 20%-30% to have no real job at all (last year was noticeably worse) and the rest have decent jobs, but not the kind of job that make it worthwhile. Click here for more info
*this includes students who do a Federal Clerkship, which often leads to a biglaw job afterwards

Cardozo and Brooklyn have noticeably worse employment stats, with barely 1 in 10 getting biglaw or a federal clerkship. Unless you're dead-set on biglaw, both would be good if you get a full scholarship, but are probably a bad idea at anything less than a half scholarship.

St. Johns and Hofstra are lagging behind Cardozo and Brooklyn and you probably shouldn't go unless you get a full scholarship, and even then you should pause to consider your options.

NYLS and Touro should not be attended even if they give you a full scholarship plus living stipend. Less than 1/3 of their students get jobs as lawyers.

thanks for the insight, one of my family friend received full ride to touro and hofstra but she instead decided to go to Brooklyn, she will be graduating next summer, she works for Lehman brothers holdings and she has told me that, she makes enough to pay off her tuition. So I am assuming, it isn't that bad out there.

Yeah something makes me doubt she's currently working for Lehman Brothers.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:34 am

Will_Imake_it wrote:I actually figured that once I have my #s in front of me, I can apply to those schools that admit students with #s identical to mine. Those schools that are still considered tier 1 and where I will have a shot at gaining admission, But you guys are right, it's always about the #s at the end of the day.

Just make sure the schools are worth going to at the price you're likely to pay.
Not all T1s are worth full price.

Return to “Law School FAQ”